Sign in to follow this  
EDIRTY

to buy or not to buy an e46?

hey guys,

after a recent road trip in an e46 i have made the decision to buy a newer vehicle and sell my e30's. I will without a doubt own another e30 one day because they are IMO the best 3 series ever built.

A trip to Ohakune from Welly in my e30 2.5ltr would be a tank there and 3/4 back. i did the same trip in a 2003 e46 2.5ltr and it easily used half the amount of fuel and had more power (but an auto shift). i had never driven an e46 before and i was utterly impressed by the m54b25 engine, the steptronic was surprisingly good to use once i got used to the direction of manual shift, i felt lost without a clutch but i soon forgot and started to enjoy the car.

if you are not familiar with wellington, the paecock hill road is a great place to test the handling of a car it consists of a long hill climb with varying corners throughout. This bmw was very impressive uphill and great around corners, i was surprised as it is stock standard. Now the catch... the 2.5ltr e46 in question that drove so well and handled magnificently is a...... COMPACT! fancy that :lol: i never knew they made a 6cyl compact until i saw this one.

So after this drive i think i have my heart set on an e46 for my next car, but i would like to get some opinions on people's preferences to body style, engine (bigger is always better, but more expensive lol), NZ new factor etc

i like the facelift version, new headlights etc, i am also a huge fan of the 330ci. but this little compact has stuck in my mind... its lighter and it uses a different chassis which according to some of my research is stiffer. i know they look a bit like a nana kart but they are different.... and i'm a chick so the hatch back factor is prob less of an issue for me! (and the snowboards fit nicely with one back seat folded down)

bimmersport members - what is your preferred e46? and why? Pref buy NZ new or are imports okay??

Cheers, any help or info is always appreciated

Kim

post-2206-1222234501_thumb.jpg

Edited by EDIRTY

My Girlfreind just brought herself a 2001 325. Nz New. Plenty of get up and go.

Such a mint car to drive, A big step up from the E36 IMO.

My Girlfreind just brought herself a 2001 325. Nz New. Plenty of get up and go.

Such a mint car to drive, A big step up from the E36 IMO.

Did she get a coupe or a sedan? is there any difference in the handling between the 2

Did she get a coupe or a sedan? is there any difference in the handling between the 2

4 Door Sedan, Handles like an absolute dream!

4 Door Sedan, Handles like an absolute dream!

2001, would that make it a facelift?

thanks for ur feedback dude.

We have a 328i E46 sedan with Motorsport bits and Re001 rubber....it still feels like a bit of a whale compared to the E30. Uses more gas than the E30 around town too.

But yes, on the open road it's great! Don't like the steptronic, bewilders me somewhat. Wonder if the 330i has better top end? 328i is great - really nice and torquey with useable power, but really feels strangled at the top. Opposite to the 325i E30 where you have belt it to go anywhere.

Good road trip car, but that's about it imho. Don't really like how it lumbers around under 60-70kph.

We have a 328i E46 sedan with Motorsport bits and Re001 rubber....it still feels like a bit of a whale compared to the E30. Uses more gas than the E30 around town too.

But yes, on the open road it's great! Don't like the steptronic, bewilders me somewhat. Wonder if the 330i has better top end? 328i is great - really nice and torquey with useable power, but really feels strangled at the top. Opposite to the 325i E30 where you have belt it to go anywhere.

Good road trip car, but that's about it imho. Don't really like how it lumbers around under 60-70kph.

thanks jib,

funny thing is i definately didnt get that boat/whale feeling with the e46 compact, it felt really tight and responsive. maybe its the weight difference?? i have read the compact 325 weighs 1300kg how does that compare to the sedan or coupe?

thanks jib,

funny thing is i definately didnt get that boat/whale feeling with the e46 compact, it felt really tight and responsive. maybe its the weight difference?? i have read the compact 325 weighs 1300kg how does that compare to the sedan or coupe?

In the handbook, ours is something like 1500kg with all the options (favourite bit is the controls on the steering wheel, definitely recommend looking for a car with a multifunction wheel). Also the boot space in the sedan is ridiculous! It's just over half the size of the E30!

But on the plus side, if you're patient you can find a lot of car for your money! But the compact prices look to be $3000 more on average than a E46 sedan! 328/330 E46 prices are dropping like stones :(

There is a heaps of tech in an E46 compared to the relatively agricultural E30. Just get one on the hoist and there's aero, there's aluminium arms, awesome brakes, and a sophisticated back end. I was lusting after all the bits for my E30 haha. But I guess they're harder to work on? I can't quite figure out what's going on for the rear suspension myself haha. Like a complicated multi-link. Doesn't step out like the E30, very stable doesn't get upset by mid-corner bumps as easily. Good road car.

If you like snow, I'd get one with the fold-down seats otherwise you'd struggle to fit anything. I have a 142 park board and that can't even fit anywhere in the car without folding the passenger seat down!. Other option is a roof/towbar rack, but it might affect your gas mileage on trips.

In the handbook, ours is something like 1500kg with all the options (favourite bit is the controls on the steering wheel, definitely recommend looking for a car with a multifunction wheel). Also the boot space in the sedan is ridiculous! It's just over half the size of the E30!

But on the plus side, if you're patient you can find a lot of car for your money! But the compact prices look to be $3000 more on average than a E46 sedan! 328/330 E46 prices are dropping like stones :(

There is a heaps of tech in an E46 compared to the relatively agricultural E30. Just get one on the hoist and there's aero, there's aluminium arms, awesome brakes, and a sophisticated back end. I was lusting after all the bits for my E30 haha. But I guess they're harder to work on? I can't quite figure out what's going on for the rear suspension myself haha. Like a complicated multi-link. Doesn't step out like the E30, very stable doesn't get upset by mid-corner bumps as easily. Good road car.

If you like snow, I'd get one with the fold-down seats otherwise you'd struggle to fit anything. I have a 142 park board and that can't even fit anywhere in the car without folding the passenger seat down!. Other option is a roof/towbar rack, but it might affect your gas mileage on trips.

i noticed it was harder to swing out than my e30, tried taking the traction control off which helped a bit but still didnt swing like my old girl lol but could drive it alot faster through corners for that reason.

turns out the e46 i drove is for sale. i have only seen one other 325ti for sale it was on TM but it was lower spec. funnily enough its actually in my family (my mums). its a 2003 has full black leather interior (sport seats not comfort style) only 50,000 km and she's owned it since 15,000km so full service hisotry. multi function steering wheel. and its NZ New. i can score that for $20k, they were offered $25k trade in when dad bought his new range rover but mum wanted to keep it. so i thik $20k is prob a fair price? 98% of the compacts for sale are 316 or 318's must make this rare?

Looks a ton better than the E36 Compact...

definately agree, i didnt think much at all of the e36 version.

i know the e46 compact doesnt have the stance or 'man factor' of the coupes or sedans but obviously that girly factor wont bother me.

ironically though the compact e46 is a wisker wider in the body than the coupe and sedan... go figure

Edited by EDIRTY

For me it has to be the E46 coupe or touring. The sedan is a compromise between the two with none of the benefits and I'm not a fan of the compact. I love the styling of coupe, but would go for the touring for practicality (bikes, dog etc, etc, etc).

The weight of the E46 makes the 4cyl a little gutless for my liking - so the 6cyl (2.5 or 3.0) is much better. My 3 litre is pretty good on gas too - around 11 l/100km around town, and around 8 - 8.5 on the open road. And it gets up and moves when you hit the loud pedal.

For $20k you could pick up a 330ci msport.... I was looking at them on trademe the other day and was horrified how much they have dropped since I got mine. Grrrr - if I had waited 6 months....

I've had my 328 coupe for about 8 months now, all I can say is that it is the best car I've driven so far. Plenty of power, handles beatufully and looks great.

Yes it does use more gas than any other car that I owned, but its a small price to pay for the satisfaction you get while driving :)

Get one with leather seats - makes it so much more comfortable and nicer inside.

if i was in the market for a e46 compact i would seriuosly consider a one series as well...

Yes it does use more gas than any other car that I owned, but its a small price to pay for the satisfaction you get while driving :)

Get one with leather seats - makes it so much more comfortable and nicer inside.

Really? I had a VR6 Golf (manual) before, and I reckon my 330ci auto is more economical (even being heavier and RWD)!

Yeah - go the leather sport seats. Very comfortable.

For me it has to be the E46 coupe or touring. The sedan is a compromise between the two with none of the benefits and I'm not a fan of the compact. I love the styling of coupe, but would go for the touring for practicality (bikes, dog etc, etc, etc).

The weight of the E46 makes the 4cyl a little gutless for my liking - so the 6cyl (2.5 or 3.0) is much better. My 3 litre is pretty good on gas too - around 11 l/100km around town, and around 8 - 8.5 on the open road. And it gets up and moves when you hit the loud pedal.

For $20k you could pick up a 330ci msport.... I was looking at them on trademe the other day and was horrified how much they have dropped since I got mine. Grrrr - if I had waited 6 months....

yeah i love the touring as well, they're a nice looking car. really like the e30 touring as well.

i've seen a few 330ci on TM but if they have low km's and high specs ppl still askin around $27- $30k. there are some for around $20k but km's are ususally over 100,000 which i dont really want if i'm spending $20k+

i guess the main reason this compact in particular interests me is the km's, the extra's, the fact that its a big engine for a small car (1300kg) giving it potential to handle well and go quite quickly. i also think theres a lot to be said for knowing the history of a car and the way its been treated by its previous owners

Really? I had a VR6 Golf (manual) before, and I reckon my 330ci auto is more economical (even being heavier and RWD)!

Yeah - go the leather sport seats. Very comfortable.

Well previous cars that I have driven were all Jap cars with max 2000cc, so I guess it doesn't really compare :)

i have been watching this 330ci : http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-174510863.htm

looks really tidy in the pics

That looks like a very tidy car at a reasonable price. I like the Imola Red, haven't seen too many E46 in that colour.

Edited by Simke

There are a couple of manuals on trademe at the moment.

Highly recommended. Far better than the auto to drive imo.

i have been watching this 330ci : http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-174510863.htm

looks really tidy in the pics

I like that 330Ci. Manual would be better but would probably cost a lot more.

I you are concerned at all with resale value I assume that the coupe would be alot better??

E46 was quite a significant advancement over the E36.

It is a more refined car but at first received a lot of complaints about reducing "driver feedback". In general terms the E46 does a lot of the work for you. If this is what you like, just throwing the car into a corner without any nervousness - then it is a must.

If you like seat of your pants driving then stick with the E30. Most people seem to prefer the E46 as an everyday car and keep an E30 for their weekend fun car "driver involvement".

For me I would definately say buy an E46. I've got an 330I and you just can't do anything wrong in it. Doesn't feel as heavy as it is and it has oodles of power. Autos are not necessarily a bad thing when you are looking at 2.5 or 3.0, as the engines are torquey enough that it won't get fustrating (plus you can always over-ride the gearbox choice in sports mode).

I'd say go for the 330ci or 325ci if I was you. Personally think that the E46 compact was ugly as sin with those weird headlights. 330i is fairly practicle (tourings are as rare as hens teeth) but 330ci has got slightly better styling. That said I reckon a compact with a 2.5 litre would give a three litre a run for its money. In terms of whaling there generally is none as long as you get a motorsport.

E46 has it's little problems as with all types of beemers. Main culprits seem to be window regulators breaking (plastic parts that become brittle) & cooling system failure (plastic expansion tanks that become brittle and thermostats that get stuck on or off).

Hope this helps you with your decsion.

The face lift was the 02 onwards.

Try to get a motorsport if you can afford it. If not maybe look into a m54b30 as the double vanos really does make all the difference. The 330 cars come with bigger brakes and are again that much better than the other models.

the 328 (m54b28) motor is also good.

Again the options with a e46 are endless, key things are: Leather, Multifunctional steering wheel and maybe even the 16:9 Nav screen (makes for cheapish nav conversion to NZ/Euro) and Motorsport mtech' bumpers and side skirts (saves you having to do it later on as second hand parts are pretty much none existent in this country.

With the auto thing, as other say its really not a big deal with the bigger motor and especially for daily driving in Auckland traffic the auto is really a must. But the choice is obviously up to you :)

The after market scene is huge for e46's lots of online US retailers that have some quality stuff for these cars.

One last thing, after owning a bunch of 2 door cars then moving to a 4 door .. practicality rules this one that and 4 door chassis is stiffer. Again is your choice. Just make your descion of what you want to use the car for and go from there.