Sign in to follow this  
EDIRTY

to buy or not to buy an e46?

It is a more refined car but at first received a lot of complaints about reducing "driver feedback". In general terms the E46 does a lot of the work for you. If this is what you like, just throwing the car into a corner without any nervousness - then it is a must.

If you like seat of your pants driving then stick with the E30. Most people seem to prefer the E46 as an everyday car and keep an E30 for their weekend fun car "driver involvement".

You can always turn ASC off :)

You can always turn ASC off :)

heh .. the ASC button is indeed annouying when on the edge .. on the track I leave it off so I dont loose throttle in the corners.

i have been watching this 330ci : http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-174510863.htm

looks really tidy in the pics

This was precisely the one I was thinking of.... (as he cries quietly into his beer) Looks like a damn nice car and I'd be all over it in a flash if I hadn't committed to my 330ci 9 months ago.

You can never go wrong with a 3-Series touring lol :P Great looking cars imo but i guess the weight factor would affect the handling a bit..

But they look great and are very practical ;)

Kim, buy what suits you and what you feel comfortable in.

If you enjoyed driving the compact, and it comes into your budget range, then go for it.

Only thing I'd do is check the price against other E46 compacts to make sure it's the right price, and get a mechanical done on it.

Remember most suggestions on here are from guys who know what they want, you need to get what you want, not what they think you want. ;)

Remember most suggestions on here are from guys who know what they want, you need to get what you want, not what they think you want. ;)

Poetry

And then you actually take one for a drive ;) I nearly made the same mistake and was glad I waited the extra 3months and saved my pennys for the 330i over the 325.

Sound advice, if you want to get into an e46 try a bunch out of all types. There are enough people willing to test drive so it wont be hard.

Wow, that E46 has some special features:

"Remote opening doors"

I never knew that was an option

Are they hydraulically operated, like the E38 remote opening trunk, or do they use electric motors?

Wow, that E46 has some special features:

"Remote opening doors"

I never knew that was an option

Are they hydraulically operated, like the E38 remote opening trunk, or do they use electric motors?

I didn't think there was such a thing... he probably means remote closure ie: sunroof and windows can be closed using the remote?

(Apologies if I didn't catch any intended sarcasm)

I wish the imola red e46 was manual!!! Damn thats a good colour!

Loving this thread. Makes me want an e46.

I've had my ex Singapore E46 for about 8 months, love it.

I've had some mechanical/maintenance-catchup-from-the-previous-owner issues with it, costing just over $2k to fixup, and there's still some stuff to do. So get Glenn @ Botanymotorworx to get a prepurchase before you buy: man knows his stuff! I got the car for pretty cheap considering how it looks and its go fast bits so not to bummed about the work.

I've just gotta say that compared with any of the other cars i've driven regularly (Volvos, Subies, Holdens, Toyos, Nissans, Mazdas... ) the Bimmer is just so well balanced. It's got acceptable economy, great power and torque that's USABLE, and its just a practical car. Oh and it looks sex.

I use it as my daily, and you really appreciate the little things, like the effectivness of the heater on cold mornings, the comfyness and silence of the cabin. Lastly, the handling. Well, its a BMW. nuff said?

i have been watching this 330ci : http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-174510863.htm

looks really tidy in the pics

Is it just me or do these numbers not line up properly and does the paint look really bad bellow??

Posted Image

Remote opening doors means keyless entry.. thought that was obvious ;)

Is it just me or do these numbers not line up properly and does the paint look really bad bellow??

You're right... maybe its been in an accident and the rear had to be repainted?

Posted Image

Remote opening doors means keyless entry.. thought that was obvious ;)

Way more orange peel than stock paint

Maybe not dodgy but it has clearly been repaired on the cheap. Would make me question where costs have been saved in other places. Judging by the build up of dirt around the badge it was repaired a while ago. I would just be cautious if looking at this vehicle noting it has had a few bits and pieces painted recently, look at the front bumper and note the car has obviously had a recent cut and polish.

One thing I have learnt with second hand cars is not to judge a book by its cover. I have been burt :angry:

The E46 Coupe is a fantastic car, my mum has one and it has only had one fault since new, the trim where the pillar-less window shuts has come loose on more than one occasion, BMW have had a go at fixing it but it keeps returning, im guessing it’s a common fault on the Ci.

Edited by Apex

The E46 Coupe is a fantastic car, my mum has one and it has only had one fault since new, the trim where the pillar-less window shuts has come loose on more than one occasion, BMW have had a go at fixing it but it keeps returning, im guessing it’s a common fault on the Ci.

One of the clips probably have been broken. Two options when that happens is A ) buy new part B ) uses Panel 'gum' which is like a very strong bluetak.

I super glued mine back on, worked like a charm - I got the superglue from Bunnings in Manukau City, really good stuff, came in a little bottle with an orange label and its really runny (like water) while not in contact with air, I can't remember the name of the actual product though..

I did this about 7 or so months ago, and its still right on there, and looks nice and factory :)