Sign in to follow this  
bmw.maniac

Help! Stupid Original E30 Tape Player

Okay so heres the story. I don't usually play tapes in my car but found a iPod > Tape adaptor today so tried it out.

I used it for about 10 mins driving to the gym, but when I started the MTL (Metal) light came on but then went away after about 20 seconds. It worked fine the whole way to the gym. When I try it now, the MTL comes on and stays on, and about every 5 seconds the tape fast forwards about 10 seconds then stops. It does this automatically and constantly. In the 5 seconds actual playing time, I can hear the music but in really crappy quality. This automatic fast forwarding also means the damn tape is incredibly hard to eject, and you have to push the button like 10 times for it to work between the automatic fast forwarding. I tried another tape, and it does the same thing.

Is it just time for a clean (i'm asking because I don't have a tape cleaner and will have to buy a new one) or has the 20 year old radio finally died?

Cheers

bin it .

some tape decxks dont like those tape adptors because there is spools turning .

but it sounds like its had it .

i can do great deals on new JVC headunits with ipod inputs or ipod control cable etc .

^^^True^^^

OEM does look good though! Do these decks have a stacker input?? Maybe you could auxiliary input it somehow??

It sounds like the 20yr old radio is toast.... You did well to get it that far really! Spend the money on a nice modern aftermarket unit with the features you want rather than trying to fix the old one (unless you can pick another factory one up el cheapo).

I'm sure someone would probably give you another one. I've got the same setup as you, I don't care much for sound quality, and with road noise and what not, am quite happy with it. An also I hate how modern CD players stick a centimeter out from the dash, until I find one that sits flush, I'll be rocking the factory one.

OT, sorry, but can you get Ipod adapters that connect to your CD stacker input?

Okay well it's still doing this on and off.

Seems to like stuffing up in the afternoon, but never in the morning. Maybe something to do with heat?

I bought one of those tape cleaners and the sound is fine now, but it still has the MTL sign up when not working, and always seems to stay on side '1.' When it works, it appears on either side 1 or 2, but always without the MTL sign. When its not working it sort of acts like you push the 'PROG' button to change sides without removing the tape - i.e. the song doesn't fast forward, just the head/tape reader removes itself from the tape and then clicks back on the tape to play again.

I'm not really keen on an aftermarket unit, I don't give a toss about sound quality (at the moment I only have 2 speakers!) and as I absolutely hate the way the aftermarket ones stick out from the dash. I only bought this one off a member a few months ago to replace the 10 year old Sony crap CD player that was in the dash.

I'm going to pull it apart this weekend, otherwise it looks like i'm in the market for a new (to me) e30 radio.

I have to agree, I tried a few decks before settling but still cant help thinking it just looks wrong. I searched for old early ninety’s decks but nothing worked.

I went with a flat surround and painted it black, don’t look so bad.

Picture whore.

Posted Image

Would love a top quality head deck that sits flush.

Any pics people??

Oooh I like the look of this. I might be spending a bit of cash though!

Posted Image

E36 BMW Business CD in E30 dash. Looks amazing!

Here are the wiring diagrams. Although the first one doesn't apply for our cars, as we don't have that ugly brick of an Amp like the US ones, it looks a relatively easy hook-up.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hmm tempting!

I bought a CD43 from Jochen.

Maybe he can help in sourcing one for you.