Sign in to follow this  
kiwi6539

Best insurance company?

Hello

Ive brought a 89 5 series. Just wanted to know if anyone has any idea who the best company to insure it with are?.

Or are they all pretty much the same?

Any advice welcome.

Cheers

Go with your usual provider unless they have screwed you over in the past. Communication is everything.

i'm with pioneer - service has been ok

i'm not happy that they work out premiums based on what you think your car is worth.

if you write your car off, then they'll do research to see how much its actually worth and pay you tthat amount! wtf?!!

my premiums for my 20 year old e30 is the same as my e36?! they couldn't justify that??!

That's how most insurance companies work. Which probably means I'm paying too much.

However, IMO its worth paying more to be with a company that is fair and will pay out with little hassle.

I'm with FMG and have had several claims for cell phones, spiked electronics from lightening strikes (happens alot in the far north!), and a motor vehicle.

Everytime bar one they have paid out in super-quick time with no fuss, and for an amount I was more than happy with. in the case of the electronics I asked if I could have the cash rather than new items - no problem. In the case of the car, they offered less than my feeling of what it was worth. i had to get it's pre-crash value assessed by a classic car dealer. Once I had this done they paid out on the newly assessed value, AND I negotiated to keep the wreck which I sold later on.

The only time I wasn't happy was with a cell ph (about my third or 4th cellphone claim - I'm terrible with them) where because the model was discontinued they would only pay a token amount which after excess was only about $30 so I withdrew my claim. On all previous cellphones they happily replaced the phone.

So it pays to shop around not just on price, but reputation aswell.

Edited by bravo

Lumley seems to know cars and modifications well, they don't be freaking out when they hear of mags and lowering e.t.c

Make sure you hustle a deal (i.e. negotiate price)! That's how we do.

I'm with NZI - used them for about 5 years for my old car as well, quite happy with their service, and not too expensive.

Cheers for all the advice guys

One more question does anyone have a rough idea of what a 1989 530i Manual with 207.000 kms cloth interior sunroof etc would be worth?.

Theres not to many about so was thinking if I had to replace with another thinking $4000 to get a manual 525 or 535. do you think thats about right?

Insurance is like any other service ie, you get what you pay for.

Vero & NZI are probably the most comprehensive as far as policy wording goes, and you should always read your policy wording!!!

national auto club,

there been really good for me, had my car crashed into twice and repair work on the car started same day as accident in both cases, also same deal when i had my window smashed in, had a new one in fitted and re tinted within 12 hours.

also they value you car as you want it to be valued. you pay for an insured amount rather than a car. other companies will de value your car as they please.