Sign in to follow this  
Cale

Power steering fluid

Whats the story with bleeding and refilling? Mine is really filthy

Some manuals say, permanently filled- i.e. you only ever need to top up.

Some say about bleeding but don't give a capacity, only that it is Dextron II ATF.

Do I renew? If so, what is the capacity?

Cheers

If you decide to empty the reservoir and refill, you bleed the system simply by starting the car on and turning the steering wheel lock to lock a few times.

(Saw that on the E30 touring episode of "Wheeler Dealers", love that show)

You get it from your local garage. Rock up with a clean dry bottle and ask for 3.75 litres of dextron II or dextron III. I think maximum capacity is 3.5 litres but its nice to have a bit extra for top up. Its pinky red.

You will need to turn the wheel back and forth heaps to get most of it out but you will never get all the old stuff out. I have an old rack in the garage from the start of the year and it still weeps every time i pick it up and fiddle with it.

Cheers guys,

3.75L Max? Seems a lot.

sh*t yea na 1.75 is what I got! So the official capacity is like 1.25 or 1.5! I was thinking relative to a big milk bottle (what I used to get mine), but I got confused as to how big a milk bottle is. Quick trip to the dairy ensued!

Seriously thought im still not 100% sure. Check the bentley manual, I haven't mine on me but its definitely in there.

Sorry!

Exclamation mark!

Edited by tastic

If its really black like mine was it might take a few flushes to get all the old fluid out and have it looking nice and red. Pretty sure takes less than 1L