Sign in to follow this  
swiggs

Vanos Tick

I would be assuming if I could tell you an more than I already know, but aparently there was gunge build up around the pins or something - and oil was not flowing property which has caused a small amount of werar. I am just rattling off what the echanic told me. I have no idea how they work sorry.

In terms of the warrenty - yes it was a pre exsisting fault which is most likely the reason the car was sold in the first place. But the dealer i bought it off has coughed up. so thats a relief off my shoulder.

My extended warrenty comes into effect once the dealers warrenty ends. so am lucky there i think.

I would be assuming if I could tell you an more than I already know, but aparently there was gunge build up around the pins or something - and oil was not flowing property which has caused a small amount of werar. I am just rattling off what the echanic told me. I have no idea how they work sorry.

In terms of the warrenty - yes it was a pre exsisting fault which is most likely the reason the car was sold in the first place. But the dealer i bought it off has coughed up. so thats a relief off my shoulder.

My extended warrenty comes into effect once the dealers warrenty ends. so am lucky there i think.

Thats great for you...looks like the problem was caused by oil starvation due to the lack of proper mantainence then.

Good to see a car dealer coming to the party. Not many out there like that.. there are a few good ones though

i have heard of a few engines that have stuffed the bottom end bearings beacuse of lack of oil changes etc

storys like 60,000km on orginal oil etc

We had a lady from Nestles with a company car that drove her company honda till it stopped. It was seized.

She did 72,000 kilometers in it, and it never was serviced...not even once, not even a 1st service. She maintained that she didnt know that you needed to service a car unless it gave a problem or stopped. Good ole Hondas..... poor thing. We had to put a new motor in it. She lost her company car.

Posted Image

Good old lack of oil change .... Oil breaks down .. owner just puts new (usually crap or incorrect grade) oil in.

Good to see your covered though! :) Atleast you get a mint car with known good engine out of it! :)

We had a lady from Nestles with a company car that drove her company honda till it stopped. It was seized.

She did 72,000 kilometers in it, and it never was serviced...not even once, not even a 1st service. She maintained that she didnt know that you needed to service a car unless it gave a problem or stopped. Good ole Hondas..... poor thing. We had to put a new motor in it. She lost her company car.

And I bet it went faster in every gear, didn't need the clutch used to change gears, would pull a 2 tonne boat without a problem, was impervious to salt water / sand and never needed washing either.

Just proves that they build company cars stronger! :lol:

Edited by elmarco

What's the difference between a rental car and a 4WD? There are just some places you can't take a 4WD....

Sorry to hijack - back on topic....

Posted Image

Good old lack of oil change .... Oil breaks down .. owner just puts new (usually crap or incorrect grade) oil in.

Good to see your covered though! :) Atleast you get a mint car with known good engine out of it! :)

Towed in a no go Nissan Bluebird with SR18 engine a few months ago - checked - no distributor turn, rocker cover off - broken cam shaft. Engine looked the same or worse than above -& only done just over 100k & looking like never having had an oil change. Over 2G later -with another engine (Bloody 4WD! :angry: ) it was all good.

sh*t if my engine looks like this they can keep it.

is ther anyway of cleaning this sh*t out of then engine once it gets like this

It would clean out fine (kinda) - the problem is all the wear associated with it, and maybe to the extent it can't be cleaned out of small, important orifices.

It would clean out fine (kinda) - the problem is all the wear associated with it, and maybe to the extent it can't be cleaned out of small, important orifices.

Yep, right - the wear caused to the above mentioned had run the cam jounals in the head for both cams & scoured hell out of the one where the shaft broke - hense throw away engine.

The whole probem caused by that crap blocking the journals tiny lube orifices - allowing no lubrication & siezure of cam

Posted Image

Was at pick a part the other week and saw a 328 there, pulled the valve cover off and it looked exactly like that, you could pick the sludged up oil with your fingers and it would just come off in layers.

Its about time to set this thread straight as a number of incorrect statements have been made by the person who started this thread.How do i know this... well im the mechanic from Jerry Clayton BMW who checked the engine noise in the mentioned 540i. This person did not get a prepurchase check done as mentioned or pay for the diagnosis of the noise, they have not been in touch with the company or receive a free service and money back as stated.You try do someone a favour and look what happens

Its about time to set this thread straight as a number of incorrect statements have been made by the person who started this thread.How do i know this... well im the mechanic from Jerry Clayton BMW who checked the engine noise in the mentioned 540i. This person did not get a prepurchase check done as mentioned or pay for the diagnosis of the noise, they have not been in touch with the company or receive a free service and money back as stated.You try do someone a favour and look what happens

Funny that.... I didnt think everything was straight up either. I also wonder why Swiggs has changed his user name ??

Funny that.... I didnt think everything was straight up either. I also wonder why Swiggs has changed his user name ??

Yeah sent a private e-mail to him of what was going on last night hoping he might man up and retract his comments.If this person would like to speak to me then give us a call at work and ask for Ian in the workshop

ahh well he just earned himself + 4 warning points for that one.... one more and hes banned.

When i worked in the uk we hd a few issues with the v8 engines having these noises.The problem being that most people know about the vanos problem and automatically think its that. What you have to remember is when buying the v8 is the history of oil changes. If cheap oil is used and filters not changed the oil pick up sludges up and oil pressure slowly drops then knocking occurs. problem being people think its the vanos going and keep driving, have seen many v8s in the uk suffer with this.

hope this is of some use to everybody

Graham

thanks graham.

I apologise for the miss represented information - i mentioned that jerry claton did the pre purchase inspection and this inst true - i wrote the post very qucik and was angry and have muddled it up. now the pre purchase inspection was done from the company i bought it off and they are fixing it. the history of this car was bad oil service by the sound and the knock was the bearings at the bottom.

I do apologise about the slagering but being as angry as i am about this whole thing is really annoying.

I do not apologise about been pissed off though.

From working in a BMW dealership for 6 years i have come across this noise in the v8 M62 on numerious occasions as have many other dealerships around the country and as i had advised " the1 " we have never had a single engine fail as a result. This engine has proven extremely strong and is fitted to the 5,7 and X5 without any issues coming about from this noise.The only time i have seen one of these engines fail is from overheating due to driver error.The false comments made regarding this issue can be extremely damaging to a companys image and had i not read this post no one would be the wiser and once again a dealership would be branded the enemy.If " the 1 "would like to gain the slightest shread of respect a face to face apology would not go wasted.