Sign in to follow this  
Driftit

The 540 Hi-Line?

Been looking at replacing my 180sx and 325 with a 540. But I am just wondering what a Hi-Line model is. Is this the top spec?

I had a search on here and on wikipedia but not alot of details.

This is apparently a Hi-Line

Posted Image

Been looking at replacing my 180sx and 325 with a 540. But I am just wondering what a Hi-Line model is. Is this the top spec?

I'm pretty sure it is a jap spec "SE". No such thing as hi-line was ever sold in the NZ market.

Could explain things. That particular car is an import.

I believe the way to tell a hi-line apart is the chrome on the bottom of the rub strips compared to on the top for the other models.

I've wondered this myself-have looked at a couple & not been able to see anything different to my 540s

It's basically luxury spec as opposed to motorsport spec. Depends what you're after... comfort or performance.

Yep, High line is the Jap variant (as mine) high spec model with TV, Nav etc

Ahh I see. Cheers guys. Wish that particular car wasn't all the way down in Tauranga. Nice low Kms.

Ahh I see. Cheers guys. Wish that particular car wasn't all the way down in Tauranga. Nice low Kms.

Tauranga doesn't seem that far to go at all of its the right car? I brought my car from the mount and im in Palmerston North.

Not really prepaired to buy right now though. Would just like to check it out and have a look around. Once I am ready I am willing to travel.

Hi-line is the top-of-the-line luxury spec from BMW

It'll add lots of luxury extras, like full leather, sunroof, eleectric memory seats, high instrument cluster, nav & TV & telephone, more speakers for the stereo, CD changer as std, PDC, EDC, Shift-tronic, multi-function steering wheel, cruise control, etc etc etc

If you like lots of extras then definitely go for the Hi-Line.

Some of the lower-spec E39 models might look initially the same but under inspection you'll notice that they miss LOTS of features.

NZ generally had very low spec E39s, the jap models were much higher specc'd than the NZ models.

Hi-line is the top-of-the-line luxury spec from BMW

It'll add lots of luxury extras, like full leather, sunroof, eleectric memory seats, high instrument cluster, nav & TV & telephone, more speakers for the stereo, CD changer as std, PDC, EDC, Shift-tronic, multi-function steering wheel, cruise control, etc etc etc

If you like lots of extras then definitely go for the Hi-Line.

Some of the lower-spec E39 models might look initially the same but under inspection you'll notice that they miss LOTS of features.

NZ generally had very low spec E39s, the jap models were much higher specc'd than the NZ models.

My 1999 540 was sold to me as a "Hi-line" although there is nowhere in any badging or documentation identifying it as such. I confirm what Jochen says as far as bells and whistles go.

Also add heated seats, 2 way sunroof, my steering wheel is the 1/2 leather, 1/2 "woodgrain" - actually a bit tacky but I'm over it. Trim is the imitation woodgrain but I would have preferred the brushed aluminum a'la M5/X5.

Doesn't have a high instrument cluster - no mention of that in the manual either.

Edit: also has the chrome exterior window trim. Doesn't look that good with a black car so look for one with the shadowline (body colour/black) trim

Apart from that I LOVE IT !!

Edited by mtk540

Trim is the imitation woodgrain but I would have preferred the brushed aluminum a'la M5/X5.

Really? I though wood in e39s was real veenner (sp) on plastic mounts

Really? I though wood in e39s was real veenner (sp) on plastic mounts

I may be wrong but it sounds plasticky when you tap it... nowadays you dont know whats real and whats synthetic.

I am into a more sporty look. I think I am just going to have to get out and about and check them out face to face. And see which ones I prefer. There does not seem to be many listed at the moment though.

Will be looking at a 99 E55 AMG tomorrow. Around the same money as the facelift 540's. Higher KM's though. Father has the newer supercharged one so I thought why not.