Sign in to follow this  
Luke

Manual conversion

Hey,

Ok well i have just finished doing a manual conversion on my e28 (525e) and now the thing wont start.. well it turns over but doesnt fire..

Do i need to join any wires together to make start

(all ready done the wires to the auto shifter)

Any help would be great.

Cheers,

Luke

what was the manual kit from ??, did the flywheel have the metal trigger point sticking out .

also have you bypassed the automatic kill switch so it starts in any gear etc ?

the kit would have needed to be from another 525e manual or a preface lift e30 325i .

box was out of a 83 520,

And no the flywheel didnt have the little lug sticking out like the flexy plate did.

Is there any way to by pass those sensors that went into the bell housing on the auto box?

box was out of a 83 520,

And no the flywheel didnt have the little lug sticking out like the flexy plate did.

Is there any way to by pass those sensors that went into the bell housing on the auto box?

The short answer is NO

The sensors are for the ignition and injection systems. The car will not run without them

You have fitted the wrong gearbox and flywheel

The add's not clear Glenn, but the car he's selling is the BMW 520 Blue 1984 cloth trim 329462 km not going suit parts manual.

yes like i said only a flywheel from a early e30 325i pre face lift or a e28 525e will do .

you could weld a trigger point on to the flywheel ( my freind did one a few years ago )

or you could convert the ecu system to post 88 325i or e34 525i m20 set up with the engine loom front hub and front crank sensors etc , but it wont run right with out getting the ecu remapped etc . i think it will be easier to weld a trigger point on the flywheel and cost a lot less in labour etc .

has to be in the correct place , try ernst at baverian motors he did my freinds one .

you could weld a trigger point on to the flywheel ( my freind did one a few years ago ) ...

has to be in the correct place , try ernst at baverian motors he did my freinds one .

The box will need the bellhousing modifed as well (if it doesn't have the sensor holes in it).

Edited by CamB

Ha, this ma sound funny but that is the one i bought last weekend. box and all is in my car now

does the box have the castings that stick out to except the sensors once you have drilled them out .

if not then start looking for a newer manual gearbox kit .

try some of the wreckers around some times they have odd boxes and flywheels .

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

ok, so lets say i went with the 325i or e34 525i m20 ecu and loom, how/ where does the crank angle sensor go.. are the like the comin ones that go on the front of the crank?

Wires = :wacko:

ok, so lets say i went with the 325i or e34 525i m20 ecu and loom, how/ where does the crank angle sensor go.. are the like the comin ones that go on the front of the crank?

Wires = :wacko:

its a real major to do that converssion .you will need complete engine loom , ecu , afm all sensors etc( about $500-800 worth ) . also the front hub/pully from the donar engine will have to splice into your old engine loom to make it work .

then reprogramme the ecu (aboyut $1200) so the car will run at its best (as the 325/525i are tunned complety different to the 525e)

just mod the flywheel .

does the gearbox have the castings sticking out to fit the sensors into.

like in the picture ?

might be easier to find the right gearbox and flywheel , you have done most of the work so far

post-279-1224817090_thumb.jpg

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

na mate my box doesnt have those castings in it.

So now im going to try find a 525e box.

Does anyone wanna buy a e28 520 5speed gearbox :D

Call or text me for the parts you need.

Regards Ray

you can also use a box from a e30 325i preface lift will have the holes drilled already post faclift 325i you will need to drill the holes out same as a M20 powered e34 525i 520i etc.

try get the matching flywheel if you can with the trigger point as well maybe do a trade as the later M20 engined cars dont need the castings on the box or trigger point on the flywheel

Call or text me for the parts you need.

Regards Ray

Well.... i need a 525e manual gearbox and flywheel :) that would be mint if you have them

Will i need another drive shaft, or will the 520 one still fit on the 525 box?

Edited by OmEn

So if i put a 325i box in my car, will i need to shorten my drive shaft or change the yoke,?

So if i put a 325i box in my car, will i need to shorten my drive shaft or change the yoke,?

. same box different output falnge maybe look at it see if you can fit the front section of the e30 shaft to the rear section of the e28 shaft .get the flywheel as well if you can so you dont have to weld a trigger point on . Edited by Brent HARTGE535i