Sign in to follow this  
zenetti

Mothers vs Meguiars vs Turtle Wax Ice

Hi all,

I thought I had better give the wife's car a jolly good clean over the long weekend. I actually started last night and gave it a quick wash n wax. The trouble is it really needs a clay bar going over the whole thing to get that "smooth as glass" finish back.

I have a variety of Meguiars and Mothers products but no clay bar. I was doing a bit of research last night and came across the Ice wax 'liquid' clay bar.

I was just wondering what people's experience, if any are with the different clay bars. Your feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers

Johno

You obviously haven't been married long. :lol:

You obviously haven't been married long. :lol:

haha - I will probably end up driving it at some stage over the weekend and I can't stand driving around in dirty cars!

I have never used a clay bar before - is that like what you see all the hardcore guys in the states etc using (round circular thing)?

Personally I just used ICE car wash, then give it one hell of a going-over with Meguiars Tech Wax 2.

the turtle wax ICE wash is good and so is the orginal ICE polish. but the ICE liquid clay bar is useles. i work at repco and customers have returned it on 3 ocassions saying it flat out doesnt work. iv used it before to and i couldnt tell if it did anything at all.

meguiars tech wax is the best wax ive used hands down.

Ive used both the meguiars and mothers bars and would say the meguiars one wins hands down. In fact the mothers one only gets used on the alloys now !

There are a couple of decent videos on youtube done by the meguiars team showing you how it done and doing the full three step will give you an excellent finish.

Alot of my friends in the UK have moved onto Zymol products saying they are far superior to meguiars and there was something else too but I cant remember the brand. I dont think you can get either in NZ though.

Its been hard enough finding the meguiars stuff !

go for the real thing mate - nothing beats a hard graft with the clay.

Meguairs are slightly cheaper than mothers.

I've used the Meguiar's one that comes with the Quik Detailer as a package, it does the job. If you buy them separately (not sure if that's even available in NZ actually) note there can be more than one type, there is a coarse one which is heavy-duty, and another which is the normal one. That's based on my last encounter with their products a few years back.

I've used Liquid clay bar and like it. Works for me if you use it right. Wash the car first and then use the liquid wax one panel at a time and rinse each time you finish a panel

I've used the Mothers clay bar and the Turtle Wax Liquid Clay Bar. The Liquid one is rubbish, mainly because you can't see what kind of gunk you're pulling out of the paint and also you're using the one sponge surface for the entire car which means you're obviously letting the dirt build up in the sponge ready to let it scratch the paint elsewhere on the car!

Mothers is good. I pulled a lot of dirt out of the paint with it. Plus for your $50 you get the Instant Detailer (which rules, gives a great finish after waxing too) and the Carnauba Cleaner Wax as well.

Mothers is good. I pulled a lot of dirt out of the paint with it. Plus for your $50 you get the Instant Detailer (which rules, gives a great finish after waxing too) and the Carnauba Cleaner Wax as well.

+1

I've clayed my E60, now smooth as, using Mothers. For wax I use Meguiars NXT, with Cleaner Wax then ScratchX beforehand.

Just been to SuperCheap they have a Meguiars clay bar set for $40.

+1

I've clayed my E60, now smooth as, using Mothers. For wax I use Meguiars NXT, with Cleaner Wax then ScratchX beforehand.

Just been to SuperCheap they have a Meguiars clay bar set for $40.

bought the Meguiars clay bar yesterday, and set about giving the car a going over today. What a difference and so simple to use! Waxing afterwards with the old rotary buffer makes things super shiny!