Sign in to follow this  
andyball1

323i vs 318i vs 325i

hey guys

i see loads of 320i's and 325/318's but not many 323i's whats the story with them? are they any good??

what is the best out of the three? specialy for handling, price and parts?

spent the day on my mates 325i and im loving the shape so much more, but then took the golf for a cane and what a hard decision lol

On the topic of golfs I have use of a 1997 ZR6 Vw Golf while im in Hamilton this weekend. 2.5 v6, Manual. Such a nice car, They handle and go so well dam well. Pwns my E36's hands down.

Edited by braeden.

323i was only made for a few years, from late in 1983 to either late 1985 or early '86. Nothing wrong with them just a bit older so not many nice ones around. They go quite well, not as good as a 325i but much better than a 320i.

A tidy manual 325i is probably the best bet, but getting hard to find and pretty pricey. I wouldn't bother with a 320i, real thirsty for what they are and not much quicker than a 318i. Parts are pretty much the same for all, each have a few specific parts but not too hard to track down if you know where to look. 325's usually have more goodies like rear sway bar, bigger struts, 4 wheel discs, on board computer, full electrics etc

All handle much the same, more comes down to how well the suspensions been maintained. (eg shocks and bushes replaced). the 4 cyls a little better balanced due to less weight over the front but extra power of the 325i more than makes up for it.

Edited by Mike

We have a 323i manual in the family. Was the first BMW I ever drove in fact. Goes really well. 'tis the car that started the madness.

My 325 still smokes it though.

Mike pretty much covered everything else.

Earlier model 323i's had 150hp, later model ones from 84-85? were detuned to around 135hp.

There is uch thing as a M323i but it was not officially an M as far as I know anyway. It came with a dogleg 5 speed geearbox and LSD to boot. Don't know much else though.

Is this Andy Ball from Berkley Intermediate?

Edited by bmw3

wrong way round on the 323i power, later ones had the 150hp, also had larger ports in the head. I

v eonly driven the later, 150hp one, not the earlier one