Sign in to follow this  
E30TOY

m42 loom problem

I have lately been doing sum work on my e30 doing some changes, ive installed a e36 318is engine to replace the old tired m40 engine, in this problem comes the engine loom, i know that on the e36 the computer sits on the left side of the car but my computer is in the car, can any one tell me if there is a way around this or has anyone got the e30 loom to suit

cheers

I have lately been doing sum work on my e30 doing some changes, ive installed a e36 318is engine to replace the old tired m40 engine, in this problem comes the engine loom, i know that on the e36 the computer sits on the left side of the car but my computer is in the car, can any one tell me if there is a way around this or has anyone got the e30 loom to suit

cheers

not sure on the length problem , but did the car have coded key EWS system . because you will need that stuff to make it work Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

not sure on the length problem , but did the car have coded key EMS system . because you will need that stuff to make it work

do you mean ews, this car had a non ews system, i know that m44 engines have that

do you mean ews, this car had a non ews system, i know that m44 engines have that

i have a 95 318Ti M42 engine here which has the EWS system . most bmw's from 94 onwards have it .

cheers

This sounds like a good conversion did you have any problems with the sump hitting the steering or the suspension.I understood that the sumps were at different ends of the 2 cars. I have also heard that you need the loom from the e36 Does that mean the an alternative computer such as a Hawk or a link cannot get the car running? Also is there not just one more sensor on the m42 and that being the knock sensor. I stand to be corrected but an uneducated guess is that if the e36 computer was fitted to your e36 position and a separate wire for the knock sensor run to the position in the new computer that has that output that the problem would be overcome? I hope you get this running, that is a good little engine and in your car will have a marked improvement. Keep us posted and any photos would be nice

Have everything you need to sort it.

Regards Ray

Which year e36 318is did it come out of?

Yeah we've just gone the other way with a 97 316 EWS changing to 1994 (able to get a cheap one same kms as the old seized 316) which was non EWS and with a mod to the EWS it fired up first time and goes really well.

Andrew Everrett from Total BMW magazine would be worthwhile to email to ask a qn in TBMW. Need to quote numbers and years to define engine spec though.

Most e30 Bmw enthusiasts have his book"BMW e30- 3 Series Restoration Bible" which has some comments and sets it all out as to pre 96 e36 m42, m44 things you will have to overcome. Saw one on TM recently for $50 from memory. Google where you can get one.

How are you getting on? I'm interested to see how you sorted it. or what you intend doing.