Sign in to follow this  
Driftit

Another M20B28 project

Hey guys I am just about to start building my M20B28 for my worn out 325. I was going to dump a 1jzgte in there but thought I would have more fun from a BMW motor as power is not everything.

Thought I would take a crap load of photos and keep a diary of the build for eveyone rather than being secretive like some others who are currently building.

Plans so far are to use my current M20B25 motor which has currently got a case of the 300,000kms worn cam shaft and rockers. Other than that she was recently dynoed at 101rwkw on a very tough low reading hub dyno so I am hoping the block and head will check out AOK.

Still have to work out which Cam and ECU setup I will use.

Any help and suggestions are welcome.

My first question is a simple one.

Which main and big end bearings do I use? I presume the stock M20B25 Mains and the stock M20B20 Big ends? (M20B25 and M20B20 bearings the same??)

Not on E30zone no. I will read them now. I have read through various others though. Will sign up to e30zone now.

Had a talk to Gavin at Hi Velocity and will also be using the facelift loom and ECU which makes things alot easier when it comes to timing and tuning.

And my list according to the guys on E30Zone

M20B25 head/block/pistons/inlet manifold/injectors/ECU

M52B28 crank

M20B20 conrods

Catcam? 273 degree cam

Total seal piston rings

Heavy duty grade main and big-end bearing shells

New rockers and shafts

Spray bar

Water pump

Main and big-end bolts

All new locating dowels

Had a talk to Gavin at Hi Velocity and will also be using the facelift loom and ECU which makes things alot easier when it comes to timing and tuning.

And my list according to the guys on E30Zone

M20B25 head/block/pistons/inlet manifold/injectors/ECU

M52B28 crank

M20B20 conrods

Catcam? 273 degree cam

Total seal piston rings

Heavy duty grade main and big-end bearing shells

New rockers and shafts

Spray bar

Water pump

Main and big-end bolts

All new locating dowels

If you can afford it i'd get 272 Shrick cams and valve springs.

Also do you have the head rebuild article/write up?

Is gavin just tuning the ecu or chipping it?

The 2.8ltr seems the way to go now (from 2.7), rapala on Bimmer has just started his 2.8 rebuild. Any idea what sort of pwr/trq they deliver?

Thought I would take a crap load of photos and keep a diary of the build for eveyone rather than being secretive like some others who are currently building.

Shot.

I will be getting a cam and valve springs. This motor is dead cheap comparied to what I have recently built for my 180sx.

From what I have been reading the Poms seem to be getting anywhere between 180 to 250hp.

Some of the higher figures of course have extras like manifolds etc.

As for the chip or tune. I am not 100% sure just yet. Will have another chat to him when I take my series car in on Monday for its tune up. But I am going to install the Facelift 325 loom and ECU.

Cheers mate. Will order them 2moro.

As for the Oil Pump. Is there a trustworthy aftermarket part that can be purchased? The genuine ones are very pricey. But if they are the best than I dont mind paying.

Collected all my parts for the motor now. But I have to sort out my series car motor first. Will start in a few weeks with lots of pics etc.

Which valve springs are you going to run, and where are they from?

and since you have recently built a "series" motor did you notice if the 731 head's valve springs are the same as a 325 in overall dimensions?.

Good luck with both engine builds.

Have not decided on the top end stuff just yet. Most of the gear I have looked at is all from the states. And with the current exchange rates it is all very pricey.

But most of the stuff I am looking at is from Ireland Engineering. Such as the heavy duty rockers. But they are $25US each.

Unsure on the valve springs as yet. Having a hard time finding them.

And sorry I did not build my 320's head. Was done by someone else.

After hunting around for hours and hours with no luck in finding much for the head I wish to build, I sent an email to Carl Hayman at www.engineparts.net.nz who has helped me previously for hard to get bits and pieces.

They have everything avalible. So will pop in and see them and they will help me match up what I need.

Will post the details once I get time to go in.

Hey guys. Just a quick question. A reground brand new billet cam for $480 inc a good price? From Kelfords. They supply the billet? Sounds good to me.

Also have been looking at these rockers from Ireland Engineering.

http://store.nexternal.com/shared/StoreFro...et=products.asp

But do you think they are really necessary. I am only doing slight head work at this stage. They are pricey at $25 US each. Bumping just over $600NZD for a set. Ouch. But they are 1/4 of the price of solid billet alloy ones.

Hey guys. Just a quick question. A reground brand new billet cam for $480 inc a good price? From Kelfords. They supply the billet? Sounds good to me.

Also have been looking at these rockers from Ireland Engineering.

http://store.nexternal.com/shared/StoreFro...et=products.asp

But do you think they are really necessary. I am only doing slight head work at this stage. They are pricey at $25 US each. Bumping just over $600NZD for a set. Ouch. But they are 1/4 of the price of solid billet alloy ones.

avoid the Ireland rockers.. honestly.

In fact, avoid nearly everything from IE!

^^ more...for some reason can't stop thinking m20 stroker..

Ok well the ireland rockers are the only ones that are in my price range so I wont be getting any. Just stock ones. What is wrong with the ireland engineering stuff though. I know quite a few people using various items. No complaints so far. And their prices are pretty good conpaired to what you can get here.

Guest SamSpargo

^^ more...for some reason can't stop thinking m20 stroker..

With a snail?

Low comp 2.9 goodness?

haha no..was more an N/A low power idea, with torque..just a stupid one sam, and you know why!