Sign in to follow this  
martyyn

Importing from the UK vs the US

So how is it that I couldnt bring in an absolutely mint e32 750iL and yet the bloke here reckons this piece of sh!te will get in no problem ?

Yank Tank

Have the rules changed in the last couple of years or is there something I dont know ?

I mean look at it....its falling apart.

the rules are all b*llsh!t anyway... cant bring in lancers etc but u can keep driving your 81 laser etc thats smoking like a mofo... all contradicts itself since one of the reasons for half these laws was to stop cars coming into the country that would start smoking in 5 years time or something...how i understood it anyway, probably wrong :P

Yeah, bollocks aye

That thangs straight outta da compton ghettos.

Yeah the new laws are not helpful, basically if it doesn't meet the new crash testing criteria (or emissions) you can't import unless it is 20 yrs old(build date) Over 20 yrs you can bring in & register legally even left hand drive, someone might correct me on something but thats what i was told. Also don't forget if you owned the vehicle overseas for a certain period & you immigrate here you can bring it in & register.

Why bring in an E32 anyway??? Plenty of better cars Penry.

Why bring in an E32 anyway??? Plenty of better cars Penry.

It was when I came over four years ago. Why bring it over?....it was my baby, isnt that enough!

17' Alpinas, suspension all fixed up, sump gaskets all taken care of, it would go for another 20 years and still scare the pants off of most modern day cars.

I miss it :(

It was when I came over four years ago. Why bring it over?....it was my baby, isnt that enough!

17' Alpinas, suspension all fixed up, sump gaskets all taken care of, it would go for another 20 years and still scare the pants off of most modern day cars.

I miss it :(

Yeah thats enough, didn't realize it was your baby over there. When you spend a bit on a car & know everything about it it's hard to part with it.

You are spot on Mr E34, it is the over 20 year old get out clause. Anything which is over 20 years old on arrival in NZ doens't have to meet the latest crash and emissions legislation, just has to be of a standard to pass a WoF.

So the yank tank makes it through that loop hole (big hole to get that thing through) but many newer and better IMHO cars fall foul, such as many E36 M3s (need to have both passenger and driver air bags). Which would be why Penry's car was not suitable.

The part about owning the car abroad only allows you to bring the car in as a personal possesion and avoid paying GST and import duty.

I had to wait until my E30 was 20 years old before I could bring it over. You can't even bring it in and then wait until it hits 20!! It's the age when it first arrives in NZ, luckily my baby turned 20 in Mar '07 and is here now.

Strange rules, but that's often the case with cars, there are so many possibilities and options they always throw up crazy comparisons.

So how is it that I couldnt bring in an absolutely mint e32 750iL and yet the bloke here reckons this piece of sh!te will get in no problem ?

Yank Tank

Have the rules changed in the last couple of years or is there something I dont know ?

I mean look at it....its falling apart.

That is absolutely f*cking hideous.

I guess the complaints would be even louder if there wasn't a "classic car" clause.

What defines a classic?

The reserve price was: $12,000.00

:o

OT; But I wonder what it would cost to import a car from South Africa, they had some cool E30 models.

What defines a classic?

That's easy

>25 years old = classic car.

I believe that is an LTSA rule...