Sign in to follow this  
Apex

E30 pisses on my flaw.

Over the weekend my wagon decided it would drop all of its coolant out the bottom somewhere, I think the cooling system is envious of the gearbox seal leaking oil.

Before I jump under and get covered in crap I thought id quickly ask if there is a common that I should check for?? I can’t seem to refill the radiator so it makes it hard to check for leaks, why is the system so complicated looking??

Thanks

tbh it could have come from anywhere. put a hose in your coolant bottle. jump underneath and yes. get covered in crap and see where its dripping from

on mine, the bottom plug where the hose connects to was broken and was leaking coolant. it was silicone sealed and clamped tightly!

all sorted with a new radiator, which i hope will last for another 20 years, considering the price i paid for it! :P

I love your spelling mistakes Graham.

Easily the best on Bimmersport. :P

Just did a pressure test (bung and compressor) and water is leaking out from the front where the pump is.. Looks like im learning how to replace a water pump tonight! Yay.

Aswell as cambelt and tensioner (if its noisy!), since they have to come off.

Edited by QuickSilver

Aswell as cambelt and tensioner (if its noisy!), since they have to come off.

They have to come off?? :unsure:

Do I buy a genuine BMW water pump or will one from Part master be ok? Hae been told to do the thermostat also.

the aftermarket wp should be ok. asuming its not a peice of rubbish with no warranty. and yes do the timing belt and tensioner and thermostat as a matter of course. saves you a engine or pulling it apart twice

They have to come off?? :unsure:

Do I buy a genuine BMW water pump or will one from Part master be ok? Hae been told to do the thermostat also.

Yep, they have to come off, I bought my last water pump from BNT, its a "gmb" pump, if you want to buy genuine go ahead but they are not cheap. Whatever pump you buy I would think should be fine AS LONG as you check it has metal impellers not plastic ones, if it has plastic ones, send that sh*t back!

Edited by QuickSilver

Guest FrantiC

Hmm, I'm sure waterpump can be done without touching the cambelt. Just undo the 3 bolts and it falls off. You just gotta watch the spring, But it's not doing anything there anyways except initially applying the belts tension until you tighten the bolt so it's held there.

But Do everything there "while your in there". Timing belt, Tensioner, camshaft radial seal (I get mine from Euro Itallian parts off of here - Look at forum sponsors). GMB waterpump from parts master.

Make sure you do that camshaft seal though, People often miss it and it tends to wear the belt out faster as they get hard and crack and oil seaps out and onto the belt which is bad for it. And it eliminates a possible oil leak as no doubt there will be oil and greased on gunk on the front of your motor which you will be cleaning off.

Good write up found here:

http://e30world.com/engine/BMW-E30-timing-...-and-water-pump