Sign in to follow this  
enduro

Head-Deck mess up

EDIT/UPDATE: Head-unit issue is now fixed. Sole issue is now only with my instrument cluster Needles not working.

Hi - new here, what better way to start it off by explaining a screw up that happened in an attempt to install a head-deck. Please first note, I'm a new owner to a BMW and a noob in general to automotive.

A mate who clearly knew little, (but hey, more than me) attempted to install a JVC head-deck into my BMW 318 (1996). I explained my concerns in hearing the wiring is different in a BMW to most cars and so might not be as straight forward as he claims it'll be - and so I'd probably rather just get it done professionally. He insists and attempts anyway.

After disconnecting the factory head-unit and puzzling over what wires should be attached where, he admits defeat.

A brief sigh I give, but hey - I'll just go get it done professionally as first intended. We decide that after all this (lack of) work we'll go get some lunch in my car. There we are driving along.. thinking it was bad enough not having any sounds, untill I look at my dash - The fuel, Speedo, RPM's and Temperature gauge's no longer work!.

The Fuel, speedo and RPM gauge's aren't digital, the one thing that is digital and also now doesn't display is the KM's done. I've checked the fuses under the hood, they're fine. Replaced the ones that are associated with 'speedo' and dashboard anyway (despite them not appearing faulty) - but that fixes nothing.

So, now I have to go get the head-unit fitted and my dashboard gauges fixed. Why is it though my gauges have f**ked up after him only playing with Head-Unit wiring?. I was there the whole time and know for a fact he touched no other areas of the car. Everyone I tell insists that playing with the head unit wiring shouldn't by any means effect the gauges.. but I know for a fact they worked prior to any of the work being done.. so clearly it has effected it.

In a very inexperienced guess, would it have been something to do with the ignition wire?.. where it's now not powering my gauges. Again I'm practically a complete automotive noob.

Help would... help, please. End of the day though I'm just going to have to take it in somewhere.

thanks

Edited by enduro

Had that happen to me. Swapped the fuse and was sweet

Might have unplugged something by mistake?

thanks for the reply.

the fuse?. what one(s) exactly please.. because I'm 99% sure all the fuses are fine. none appear to have broken. Keep in in mind they only fuses I looked at are the ones under the bonnet (#'s 1-37?). Are there ones elsewhere I should be checking?

I know for a fact that the only place of fiddling was in the head-deck space with the wires as I was sitting in the car the whole time as it was being done. Is there something that could have been unplugged within that space?

Edited by enduro

You've blown fuse F23 (5A) or F27 (5A), both are in the front power distribution box

BMWs are not hard to wire up, there is loads of info on the web, and they are no different to any other European car.

Edited by jochen

never try to wire a stereo with out a multi meter or test light etc .

unless you have done lots of them before ..

Pretty sure repco sell adapter looms for the E36 for most headunits. at around $30 they're a pretty good deal, especially becuase you can return the car to stock extremely easily

What you want after you fix the fuses is one of these (ours is the WH521) Clicky. I went to repco and got mine for my 323 e36 think it was $15 and wham bam thank you mam done :rolleyes: .

Edited by presso

thanks for the replys.

I'm already booked in for its service tomorrow, otherwise I probably would have attempted it myself with the adapter recommended. I'm sure it would be alot cheaper to do aswell.

There is a Repco literally across the road from the place it's going to be serviced for it.

Would you suggest I buy the part from there yself and take it to the mechanic/electrician that's fixing it. I have a suspicion he's only going to buy the part from the same place but charge me double for it o_0.

is this a wise move?

Edited by enduro

thanks for the replys.

I'm already booked in for its service tomorrow, otherwise I probably would have attempted it myself with the adapter recommended. I'm sure it would be alot cheaper to do aswell.

There is a Repco literally across the road from the place it's going to be serviced for it.

Would you suggest I buy the part from there yself and take it to the mechanic/electrician that's fixing it. I have a suspicion he's only going to buy the part from the same place but charge me double for it o_0.

is this a wise move?

I would hit him up about it, say you know that an adapter plug can be sourced via repco and that you could get it yourself and supply the part. See what he has to say if he knows you know what the price of an adapter plug is he may not try and charge you double for it.

A repairer is entitled to a mark up on parts. Double the price would be a ripp off. However you would get quoted a retail price by Repco and the repairer would get a Trade discount.

ohk, so the head-deck is now successfully installed. I'm left with he instrument cluster gauges not working.

The electrician that fitted the head-deck said the gauge issue is not a fuse, something else had died within the cluster. Damnit. Can anyone suggest a place on the North Shore (auckland) to get this done?

ohk, so the head-deck is now successfully installed. I'm left with he instrument cluster gauges not working.

The electrician that fitted the head-deck said the gauge issue is not a fuse, something else had died within the cluster. Damnit. Can anyone suggest a place on the North Shore (auckland) to get this done?

Ernst @ Bavarian Motors...but hes probably at Manfield racing

Ph. (09)4445312

Ernst @ Bavarian Motors...but hes probably at Manfield racing

Ph. (09)4445312

failing that Ken @ Bellars Motor Works (yellow.co.nz)

Cheers guys, Bellars Motor Works is pretty close to me.

Talked to Ken there and he said it's something he could attempt to look at but was a little stumped at _all_ the gauges crashing. He had some idea of a wire possibly being situated behind the head-deck for the instrument cluster but a bit of a guess. Just now need to find another day I can get off work, ffs.

any ideas in the mean time?, Anyone heard or can back up the idea of a cable being situated behind the head-deck, relating to the instrument cluster?

thanks

Edited by enduro

perhaps this thread is now better suited in the 'Electrical System' forum?

i've edited the original post with an update to the new/sole problem

well.. a slight update to this.

After talking to Ken @ Bellars Motor Works, he suggested I try Ace Auto Electrical down the road. They looked at it and came to the conclusion there was no faulty fuse but they can't repair it themself - as it's an issue within the instrument panel, which they don't work on. They're sending it away to someone who can fix it, with a rough cost of around 800$ !

Moral of story, if in doubt.. get your head-deck fitted professionally >_<

grrrr. im poor.