Sign in to follow this  
martyyn

Xenon upgrade

Im looking at buying a set of angel eyes for the touring and Ive been offered a set with a xenon upgrade of ballasts/bulbs etc.

Now there are too options. One is 6000K (white apparantly) the other is 8000K (blue). Does anyone know anything about these things? To be honest I hadnt considered doing a xenon upgrade but as they are offering to do all the work I might aswell look into it.

The only other thing Im not sure about is that whilst the xenon will be white/blue the angel eyes will be yellow. Its a look Im not sure about to be honest, so is there a way to get the 'eyes' be white rather than yellow ?

Im happy for people to add their opinions on what they think about white vs blue and white/blue with the yellow vs staying with halogen and having everything be yellow.

Im happy for people to add their opinions on what they think about white vs blue and white/blue with the yellow vs staying with halogen and having everything be yellow.

:wacko:

I'd say, go with white xenons- just because I like white light over blue.

The colour of the angel eyes can be changed AFAIK. Becasue they're run by bulbs.

My understanding is one bulb runs the two rings on each side. The bulbs are number 8 in the diagram I think. Here

This link may be what you need. Or even This One. Or This One.

OKK. Look here.

Hope those links are of some help.

Nick

The links are great thanks Nick.

Doesnt look like the PIAA ones are any good during the day though, no matter how bright they are at night. Im leaning towards leaving them as yellow but having the xenon bulbs instead of halogen.

Ive been reading through some of the other US forums too and they all seem to have someone who has problems with the Umnitza lights which is a surprise. Also several of them that have used the PIAA lights have had issues with them being virtually invisible during the day and they only come into their own when its completely dark.

I think the only issue I have with the lights is whether or not they have the self-levelling motors in them. I would have to assume they do but Ill check first.

Im buying them from eurolights on TM. A friend has done it and they were superb in terms of support and help. They have sent me the details now and it looks like the xenon upgrade is all done for me, all I have to do is plug them in and find somewhere to install the balasts.

Oh and decide on 6k or 8k.

I am right in thinking that HID and Xenon are the same thing?

I am right in thinking that HID and Xenon are the same thing?

Yep. Xenon refers to the gas inside, while High Intensity Discharge (HID) 'refers to lighting technology that relies on an electrical charge to ignite xenon gas contained in a sealed bulb'.

hid = high intensity(and voltage) gas discharge which yours should be cos you have the ballasts

xenon = bluish halogen

often interchanged but they are NOT the same

the proper hids have a module whereby the headlights are adjusting ALL the time to prevent glare for others....

hid kits are often just rebased hid bulbs into housings originally meant for halogens,

Edited by kiwi535

I dont have xenon currently Paul.

i know but the kit you are looking at has ballasts Edited by kiwi535

Had a look at these for your yellow problem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HYPER-WHITE...sspagenameZWDVW

or

http://www.360infiniteusa.com/products_extra.php?extraid=123

You may want to check on the rules and regs with HID,Xenon lights when not fitted as standard equipment LTSNZ site. Also you will need these sensors fitted to the suspension to adjust the headlights automatically to avoid dazzling on coming traffic plus the module that controls it all if you wish to do it correctly.

post-1581-1226372847_thumb.jpg post-1581-1226372884_thumb.jpg

Sorry the photo copy is crap but it give's you the idea if interested

From the Bentley service manual.

How would you go for $40 on that arm rest item?

Cheers Allan

hid = high intensity(and voltage) gas discharge which yours should be cos you have the ballasts

xenon = bluish halogen

often interchanged but they are NOT the same

the proper hids have a module whereby the headlights are adjusting ALL the time to prevent glare for others....

hid kits are often just rebased hid bulbs into housings originally meant for halogens,

Not quite true - Xenon is also used as a brand name for HID by at least one major manufacturer that I can think of (just to confuse things).... Also called discharge, gas discharge, GDL as well depending on who you talk to.

The HID kits (re-based bulbs to fit std reflectors etc) are dangerous and illegal - stay away from them. You need a full HID headlamp with self levelling etc - yes do check that your new ones include the motors etc.

I'm not sure, but won't you run into issues with the body computer / current draw etc of HID lamps in an E39 if it was originally specified for halogens? Just a suggestion.... Hotwire or Jochen may be able to clairfy this.

Changing the colour of the angel eye celis ring may be possible depending on their design. Some use LED's which are difficult to change (unless you know a bit about LED binning and colours etc) where some use halogen bulbs (which could be a simple change). The light guides (angel eyes) are notoriously difficult to get light out of for exactly the same reason as fibre optic cables work so its quite conceivable that the complaints are inherent in the design of those particular versions.

Good luck - be interested to see a picture of the results.

Halogens to Halogens need no extra ballasts.

Halogens to Xenon need ballasts.

Edit: Thats with OEM headlights. Aftermarket units might draw different currents.

Martyn, does the kit you're looking at come with ballasts? If so, you'll be fine. But if not then you'll get error messages on the dash.

Edited by Nick021

Heres the photos of what they do....

post-116-1226376768_thumb.jpg post-116-1226376776_thumb.jpg

They have sold hundreds over here so I would like to think they are legal. Only thing I need to confirm is whether they have self levelling I guess if I take the xenon option.

This is what he has said.

The beauty of the headlights you have purchased is that they are xenon/HID ready so you don't have to purcahse genuine 03 xenon headlights for $4000 and chop and change your wiring harness. Rather than having a HB4 socket, they use a H7 socket and the back of the low beam has a rubber gromet just like genuine xenon headlights. If you would like the xenon update, we will pre-fit everything for you, all you need to do is mount the xenon ballasts in your engine bay. The xenon kit includes mounts, screws and brackets and double sided tape, i can throw in a few cable ties too, they make life alot easier. Its purely a plug and play set up, i have attached photos of how it all works. The kit is complete with capacitors so they won't upset your onboard computer and trigger bulb out warnings.

Edited by Penry

original are around 4300K

stick with 6k or lower if you can

8k is just rice & annoying to other drivers on the road...

Interested in how you get on, I wouldn't mind doing this on my 99 E39.

Don't want to hijack the thread but does anyone know if getting the lights to flash with the remote open and close is a DIY on an E39 without alarm or needs the dealer to reprogram something or just isn't avaialble.

Huttey, Ive been reading quite a bit about this today :)

It appears that you just need to wire the lights into the interior lights and they will come on and fade off with them. I dont know though if that means they cant be used at night but Id need to read up a little more on the subject.

Try reading up on both bimmerfest and bimmerforums. Both have lolts of threads on the subject especially talking about Unmitza lights and Ive just seen a thread were the guy has bought a simple red led for about USD10 and wired that up to his angel eyes to have them shine red !

i had predator umnitza predator chromium angel eye halo rings on my old e36, they were great very visible during the day and looked great at night, im definitely going to get them for my e38

Interested in how you get on, I wouldn't mind doing this on my 99 E39.

Don't want to hijack the thread but does anyone know if getting the lights to flash with the remote open and close is a DIY on an E39 without alarm or needs the dealer to reprogram something or just isn't avaialble.

if you just mean the indicators i think its a programmeable thing...dealer only or may be jochens software can do it too

Hey fella,

see my sig for the combo I have on my e46.

Here are the facts on it.

Get 6000k Xenon. I have 8's and while they look hell pretty they aren't as bright as 6000k bulbs

Colours:

12000K = Pink **

10000k = Blue / Pink***

8000k = White / Blue ****

6000k = White / Purple *****

4300k = White / Yellow ******

3800k = Yellow / Orange****

The **** on the end is how bright they are or how much your eyes react to the light.

As for the DDE / Cathodes. I have p46 rings (in-built into my head lights) They are pretty much the same colour if not whited than my Xenons.

Have a look at my sig .. That also at day time .. so dont let anyone tell you it isnt possible :)

see my sig for the combo I have on my e46.

That was the first thing I did Josh !

Ive had a couple of chats with the guy and Ive ordered the standard angle eyes with xenon (6000k) upgrade, white corners and crystal repeaters. They come with the xenon upgrade all done so its just plug and play and they have the self levelling as well.

He could get white bulbs for the angel eyes from Umnizta too but that was another 300. Something in the future perhaps.

Hopefully they will be here next week :)

Now I just have to find an Alpina front skirt....and do the shadowline properly.....and tints....and tint the rears and then Im doing with the exterior :D