Sign in to follow this  
nath

316i........ 325i!!

Ok, so the descision has been made to shove a 2.5/ 2.7(?) in.

Firstly, is this a good idea? ........(yeah i know its better to actually get a 325i as far as money goes, but i dont want 2 cars, and mine is the most perfect condition coupe i eva did see.)

Secondly, how much will this all cost? should i put a 2.5 or elusive 2.7 in?

Any ideas?

If this gets the go- ahead, ill start in bout 3 weeks time.

Cheers guys

ok first things first.

do research on what the hell you want first!!

remember the cash you throw away on this could be put towards something better, but then thats half the fun isnt it?...

sounds like you reallly havent given much thought to what engine you want. my advise would for the cost / hp benifet a turbo would be a 10x better option. but then again i also own a honda so what would i know :mosh:

Guest Andrew

unless you pretty handy with a spanner you may not want to attempt it.

Your going to need pretty much a complete 325 to do the swap (cause of all the different bits)

There is tons of info out there.

Hmmm and yeah, thts where im stuck. i dont HAVE the space to do it- so maybe a turbo is the smart option; i fully forgot bout that eh. I am just at a loss as far as what to do goes- new motor/ turbo/ just fuken get another goddamn car

Costs involved with a turbo to just "get it done"?

Throw random ideas at me guys, i need ideas at this stage

putting a m20b25, m20b20 in your car nath is a bad idea!!!

you will need to change the engine mounts, springs, shocks aswell.

plus the hassel of getting it LVV cert.

your better off buying a new car with one in. or as matt said, mazda power it.

Guest Andrew

Hmmm and yeah, thts where im stuck. i dont HAVE the space to do it- so maybe a turbo is the smart option; i fully forgot bout that eh. I am just at a loss as far as what to do goes- new motor/ turbo/ just fuken get another goddamn car

turbo isn't worth it on your car either.

Get a new car.

Any mod like that will require LVV cert.

put rotary in it! dat what iv done.

its tha only way!!!!

mazda power + bmw running gear = SKIDS & FAST & FUN

im hoping thats a joke.

nath, buy a wrecked 325, then befriend a mechanic and give him a few dozen to do the swap for you. wireing will be a bit harder but you may aswell replace the eco while your at it. or buy a wrecked s13 and have wayyyy more fun. more money = more fun

Edited by Munts316i

PLEASE REPECT EACH OTHER'S RIDE!!!

that was totally uncalled for.

Me, personally have worked on the car, it will be looking very nice and very fast(when it has grip) when finshed.

stay on topic

Edited by bumpstop325

A 325 wreck will cost under $1000 and provide you with everything you need. 316 & 325 don't share any machanical components so be prepared for a bit of work.

Brakes,springs,diff,driveshaft,gearbox,rear arms,ECU,radiator,steering rack,engine mounts etc are all different.

this would be a tad harder but what about a E36 325 or 328 engine

or even a 3.5L out of a E34 or something

or are you looking for something more ' bolt on'

its simple as , i dont know who people get the idea that it is hard, if you drop out the entire front of a 325 it will sit straight into your 316 , engine + suspension + steering rack + the rest, the cert side is simple to get aswel as long as you have the 325 brakes and suspension, i converted mine (318i) to 323i an about a day, wiring it up is also simple, everything is on plugs and is adaptable between the 4 and 6 cylinder(ecept tahco) engine, the cpu will need to be changed but doesnt take hardly any effort, if you have the tools it should be reasonably straight forward,

THANKYOU 323e30- a post that doest have a full on negative undertone!! :)

ok, so this all looks far too much for me, and doesnt help tht the above suggestions are fully conflicting..... i might just go with the intake, exhaust, 15" baskets, lip and lowering a tiny bit. oh and tints.

But thnx all u guys that replied- at least know i have made up mind lol

Serious question- how goods your driving? Look what happened to my mate...

I'm not saying your a bad driver but powerful cars can bite. Now i wait to be flamed...

hmm if you get a performance shop to do it for you then it will be variable at best

with a turbo the classic line is always true

Fast

Cheap

Reliable

pick two.

for a reliable medium sized gain, expect around 5-6kish. 10k will get ou a decent set up, but yea man 10-15k will get you a very nice set up

best thing to do is to build your own set up, lots of info round, you could do it for around 2-3k for a decent setup

but remember its ALL in the tune :P

Done the swap to 325 it's a lot of work... to do in a day I doubt very much unless ur some supa sh*t hot mechanic with a hoist and fully quiped shop.. have done everything on mine in the shed at home and it's been a long project all done now :D Or you could just buy mine

Munts316i Posted on Sep 6 2004, 04:31 PM

QUOTE (downlow @ Sep 6 2004, 03:14 PM)

its tha only way!!!!

im hoping thats a joke.

Now why would that be a fukn joke?

is there somehing wrong with what iv done

yeah i didnt have a hoist but i had everything else, i just had th chassis of the car on tall axel stands, i put the engine in from underneath the car rather than from the top.

yeah i didnt have a hoist but i had everything else, i just had th chassis of the car on tall axel stands, i put the engine in from underneath the car rather than from the top.

man thats the hardest way to put an engine in - however its the easiest way to get the engine out...

man thats the hardest way to put an engine in - however its the easiest way to get the engine out...

I disagree. E30 engines should always be taken out or put in from the bottom.I've done 3 that way and it beats pulling them out from the top hands down. :)

I disagree. E30 engines should always be taken out or put in from the bottom.I've done 3 that way and it beats pulling them out from the top hands down. :)

I havnt done a BMW, but with the cefiros and laurels and skylines etc, if we arent putting an engine straight back in, its easyest out the bottom, but if we're putting one in ive found it easier to do it from the top (with the bonnet off... obviously)

its tha only way!!!!

im hoping thats a joke.

settle down tough guy, trying to sound staunch on the net is as cool as elton john in a thong.

cheers.

but nath, seriously think about putting a sr20 in, id love to see it done and the power/weight would be hilariously fun. :bowdown:

Edited by Munts316i

its tha only way!!!!

im hoping thats a joke.

settle down tough guy, trying to sound staunch on the net is as cool as elton john in a thong.

cheers.

but nath, seriously think about putting a sr20 in, id love to see it done and the power/weight would be hilariously fun. :bowdown:

well respect my ride, do you see me putting your ride down? NO

thats rich comin from you bro! :lol:

-about my 5

im sure that car used to have trophys on it??

it looked trick wid proper wheels :gay:

pwned B)

Edited by bmwsparkle