Sign in to follow this  
325_driver

Some ideas

hey guys, in the not too distant future, ill be heading into the turbo build, and organising my budget.

Just a minor question, regarding crank angle sensors, ill be running a link g3, and i am quite frankly fed up with crank angle sensors in the gear box, any way to by pass these?

What have other people done, i have had countless problems with crank angle sensors, and i keep coming across people with so called identical motors, (m20b25) which dont even have the gear box ones present

any way, let me know guys

looking forward to another turbo project to be added to the bimmersport glory

So if im running a link g3 ecu, i wouldnt have to worry about crank angle sensors in the gearbox ?

or convert to 1.3 and then G3, Not too sure

If you are converting to the Link, theres no need to convert to motronic 1.3 at all is there? If you have the bucks go to link first, no need to do two conversions.

The m20's without the sensor in the gearbox has it on the front of the motor. So you have a cople of options if your gearbox doesn't have holes for the sensors:

Drill holes in the gearbox and tap a thread (not too hard to do, and won't cost anything).

Or get the motronic 1.3 sensor, brackets, and sensor wheel for the front of the crank, and I'm not even certain this is possible (sounds harder to me than drilling a hole and you have to buy parts).

You need some sort of crank angle sensor - I don't know if the gearbox one can actually work with the Link (given its in two parts). I am buying a 36-1 trigger wheel for an E30 M3 front pulley, and I know they run the gearbox sensors normally, so maybe the gearbox sensors don't work with an aftermarket EMS (ask Link).

If you are set on not using them, then the Motronic 1.3 sensor/bracket/pulley thing are probably the easiest way, if you can find them. With that you can run with the distributor or wasted spark.

If you want to run sequential ignition (and/or injection) you will need a cam angle sensor too, which is a whole 'nother ball game. I don't see the benefit to it.

Edited by CamB

cool. i have established from this topic, that converting to 1.3 will probably be more hassle than im in for

i had the engine all up and running, with sensors in the box, and has now destroyed my 3rd lot of crank angle sensors due to bad luck believe it or not

1st was some thing loose in the bell housing, which was the mechanics fault,

2nd god only knows, since ive had the engine out, and transmission off, and inspected every thing from all angles and cant find any thing that would jump off, and destroy the sensors

3rd, happened again, car wont start, and now i am SICK AND TIERD OF CRANK ANGLE SENSORS

i might have to bite the bikkie and see what link CAN offer, because if moto 1.3 doesnt need them, then i dont see why i should need them

moto 1.3 doesnt need them, then i dont see why i should need them

You know Motronic 1.3 needs **something** right? It just doesn't use those sensors - it uses a different sensor and trigger wheel that a PFL M20B25 doesn't have.

The car's computer uses the sensors in part of its work in trying to figure out how much fuel to give the car and when to give it.

The difference between your motor and the motronic 1.3 is that it uses a slightly different sensor in a different part of the motor as Cam says.

Either you have had a bad run with sensors, or you have a problem that is causing them to continuously fail.

You know Motronic 1.3 needs **something** right? It just doesn't use those sensors - it uses a different sensor and trigger wheel that a PFL M20B25 doesn't have.

yeah, as i thought, only other piece of information i need, i guess im going to have to change ecu to moto 1.3 ?

this is just a temp transfer, just til i can get my budget soughted for turbo build and wait for link to get back to me to see what they can offer,

i have just had really bad luck with the gear box sensors being destroyed and im looking at eliminating that problem all together

On a similar note... Why does my PreFL M20B25 have no O2 Sensor on the downpipe?! Was trying to replace it the other day, lucky I didn't buy one. How does the big car brain know if it has the mixture right??

On a similar note... Why does my PreFL M20B25 have no O2 Sensor on the downpipe?! Was trying to replace it the other day, lucky I didn't buy one. How does the big car brain know if it has the mixture right??

fixed setting iirc

A new coolant temp sensor should fix the insane rich running on start ups then. Thanks.

Threadjack over....