Sign in to follow this  
Mark

UK E28 528i - My temporary wheels (or not)

As some of you know, I've sold my 325i and on the lookout for another BMW. In the meantime I'm borrowing my grandmother's E28 to get around in. Picked it up today, gave it a clean and I must say it is an incredibly nice car to drive. It just floats along unphased by any bumps in the road and the M30 has so much torque I haven't had to push it past 2500rpm around town.

The car is a 1983 528i, originally registered in the UK in '83, my grandparents bought it on a holiday to England in 1987 and had it shipped over to NZ.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Only 108,000 miles on the clock! Pretty good for a car that's as old as me!

Posted Image

Don't mess with this car, the Metropolitan Police have it on file!

Posted Image

It still has the original "running-in" sticker on the windscreen!

Posted Image

This thing spent the whole way home beeping at me. Eventually I found out I had the speed limit warning set to 3.2km/h! :D

Posted Image

I love all the original stickers on this car!

Posted Image

Sweet! Grandma left me a free cheeseburger voucher!

Posted Image

Oh bugger!

Posted Image

Headlamp washers that still work! Just kidding... I don't think any of them do! :D

Posted Image

Obviously it's not perfect... Paintwork needs a clay and some touchups, but it is completely free of rust and the brightwork is in excellent nick apart from the rear bumper which has had a couple of knocks. I'm beginning to really like this car, thinking I might buy it... hmmm.

Sweet ride! i have a light green 80's 230e with much the same attributes and 1 owner.... love old gems like these!

Guest Simon*

Nice Mark

Love the E28's. If you like it so much why not look out for a 528 or 535 manual?

Nice car! Too bad about the cheeseburger coupon :(

Hot! You must have a super awesome grandma. Mine has a borebox 2000 Daihatsu Sirion that's just ticked over 20000km.

Keep it!!!

Thats a beaut!

Should buy it. Or at least don't let your G-ma sell it!

keep it get some 16 x9x5wide or what bbs style rims lower it down euro style !!!

dirty

Edited by Pboy

That is a very smart looking vehicle, not pron to commenting on this type of subject but these beemers seem to have that mystery factor about them, in my opinion which the newer ones have lost, can't really decribe it if this makes sense.

She is 25 years old now and in good health with many more years in her yet, you know it's history, you seem to be forming an attachment to it so why not keep it in the family. Please if I my do not tinker with it leave it as is just my thoughts.

Cheers Allan

Cheers for the comments! It certainly is a car that I would keep original and as for keeping it.... well it failed a WOF yesterday morning due to a left front outer arm steering joint that needs replacing. It also has a habit of overheating every now and then causing coolant to piss out of the overflow hose on the expansion tank. I think I've traced that to the cap on the expansion tank which, when it loses it's pressure rating, will cause this to happen. So it's time to start spending money on it if I want to keep it on the road... which I guess means I've assumed unofficial ownership already! :)

EDIT: With regard to your comments about originality Allan: I might have to change the wheels as they're still the original metric wheels shod with Michelin TRX's! Great tread on them for a while yet too! :D

Edited by gannetboy