Sign in to follow this  
jochen

Fascinating engineering video on bolts and vibration

That video has trade show promo video written all over it.... Interesting none the less.

Throw in some thermal shock (like -100C to +200C) and then we're really talking!

None of those would of come undone like that, they should try doing them up properly instead of doing them up finger tight.

You didn't watch it properly did you. They torqued the bolts correctly. They were no where near only finger tight.

They tightened to a constant stress on the bolt. The nuts were 13mm. Your average 13mm nut is tight somewhere between 20 and 30Nm depending on the material and the application. They showed that the unlubricated nuts required around that amount to tighten to the set bolt stress, so they were hardly finger tight.

Sure, they replicated some pretty severe vibration that your average nut may not be subjected to, but then again, they are marketing toward engineers who are having trouble for that very reason.

You wouldn't go around your BMW replacing all the nylocks with these.

Edited by bravo

Had a problem with my ei-bach sway bars and link bolts coming loose after a period of a couple of weeks in the e46. (especially after a big open road drive). These were tighted with nyloc nuts or nylon insert nuts. While not dangerous they still made a mild clunking sound and I could feel it in the steering which pissed me off to no end. I got sick of pulling the wheels off and tightening all the time so headed down to 'The bolt shop' and picked up a full set of new nyloc nuts and NordLock washers as seen in the video. just installed them and am stoked with the results!

The whole re-nut with NordLock and nyloc cost $4.30 :)

Highly recommended going to this system, especally for suspension components.

bought from here ... these guys rule

http://www.boltshop.co.nz/