Sign in to follow this  
martyyn

WOF issues on the touring

So the touring has failed on its wiper blades and some misting on the left front headlight. Ive taken care of the misting by buying new angel eyes :) but they said they cant get the wiper blades because the passenger one is too long.

They replaced the drivers one for a few dollars but Ive just got the prices from Jeff Grey. $30 a piece for the rubbers alone, is that price for real? I cant remember the last time I bought a wiper blade so I honestly have no idea what they cost?

Do repco do blades long enough?

I also want to replace the microfilters and they are $90 each plus gst. Can you get those at repco aswell? Again seems like an awful lot of money for a basic filter.

I havent been into a repco or supercheap for anything other than cleaning products. I assume they do all both these parts, or are the wiper blades a dealer only item due to their length ?

Not the first time Ive had trouble with being too long either ;)

repco dose blades long enough, it might be easyer and cheaper to just get the wiper blade rubber. $3 and cut it to length?

We use the Bosch wiper blade rubbers with the stainless inserts and cut them to length. We use genuine pollen filters, unfortunately they are expensive

are you talking about the cabin air filters, or something else? repco do sell the cabin filters, e39 might be pushing it though, call and find out.

cheap wiper refills are $5, from memory they're around 650mm. bit more for the refills with the metal backing

Replaced the wiper rubbers on mums car the other day - $6 each if I remember right, from Repco on Kent tce. Put them in and cut the excess off, they are long.

are you talking about the cabin air filters, or something else? repco do sell the cabin filters, e39 might be pushing it though, call and find out.

cheap wiper refills are $5, from memory they're around 650mm. bit more for the refills with the metal backing

They are called micro filters and sit under the bonnet just before the firewall. I think there are also filters in the cabin that are the pollen filters which apparantly are a bugger to replace.

They are called micro filters and sit under the bonnet just before the firewall. I think there are also filters in the cabin that are the pollen filters which apparantly are a bugger to replace.

No theres none inside. The filters under the bonnet are micro (pollen) filters

They were around that price from Jeff Grey for E36 rubbers to, I got them and they were worse than the repco one's for 6 odd dollars.

Now I have a set of Arms and Blades of a Mercedes Benz Van, Got them from my mates work and they work and fit a treat.

get the metal backed ones Martyn and cut em as required...for the filters try teh interweb if oem is too much...postage and the low exchange rate may be agin you

Edited by kiwi535

I replaced my E39 microfilters with a new set (you always need 2 of them: 1 for drivers side, 1 for passenger side) from BM Workshop in Auckland.

They were around 50% of the BMW NZ price.

BMW recommend replacing them yearly, but of course that's subject to your environment and how much the car is used.

New filters makes a huge difference to the smell of the air (mine were horribly dirty and smelly)

When replacing them, clean the microfilter housing and ensure the rubber water drains are clean (they block up with leaves and cobwebs).

NEVER operate the car without the microfilters - the dust and leaves that get sucked in will, with time, destroy the stepper motors in the climate control system, causing a very expensive repair...

Wiper blades: get quality rubber like Glenn suggested.

Repco don't sell quality rubber, they sell cheap wiper blades.

As a BMW is a quality car, treat it with the parts it deserves, and leave the cheap Repco parts for the Toyotas and Holdens....

As a BMW is a quality car, treat it with the parts it deserves, and leave the cheap Repco parts for the Toyotas and Holdens....

I dont disagree Jochen but when the dealer prices are 500% more (regardless of the actual price) its time to vote with your feet and buy elsewhere. Can you really convince me that the blades from BMW are 500 times better than Repco's?

Surely you agree if you bought your filters from BM Workshop rather than BMW when the difference was only 100% :D

I dont disagree Jochen but when the dealer prices are 500% more (regardless of the actual price) its time to vote with your feet and buy elsewhere. Can you really convince me that the blades from BMW are 500 times better than Repco's?

Surely you agree if you bought your filters from BM Workshop rather than BMW when the difference was only 100% :D

I bought my wiper rubbers from BM Workshop too and they cost a little bit more, but not 6x the price of Repco. Maybe 2x or 3x? I was happy with the price, I forget exactly what it was.

I think the most expensive part I ever bought from BMW NZ was my owners manual, at $40 new.

All other parts were small and cheap, or purchased through BM Workshop, as BM Workshop had original parts at much cheaper prices than BMW NZ.

Anyway, the rubbers that take the metal stabiliser inserts are the better rubbers, try and get them if you can find them.

Well Gavin has come to the party with filters delivered for less than half the dealers prices and Ill sort the rubbers with metal stabilisers on the weekend.

Thanks fellas

I've found the wipers without the metal inserts work fine if they are a quality brand, at supercheap the only complaints we get about the aunger range is that the squeak and thats just cos the person buying them couldn't figure out their wiper blade itself was stuffed too

For $30 a blade, I'd go for the Bosch AeroTwin range from Super Cheap. $23 each last time I checked.

I'm a wiper geek, and have gone through PIAA wipers to el cheapo ones. But my favourite is still the Aero Twin. Silent and clears water cleanly. Best wipers I've used on the road.

They don't work well on E30's due to the shape of the screen, too small and curved. But on bigger cars they should be sweet :)

Have had them on the xtrail for nearly 3 years now and still on original blades, still working like new. Car is never garaged or cleaned :P

My 2c

I got some Bosch Micro Edge blades heaps quieter than the near new supercheap ones it replaced, cant remember what brand they were thou.