Sign in to follow this  
330itis

E46 330ci 5 Spd Conv

Hay

I want to convert my 330ci motorsport to manual.

I have done a couple of manual conversions in bmws but nothing as new as a 2001 E46

Has anyone done a conversion in an e46 on here before? I heard a nasty rumor that it may not work with the auto ecu. I heard this same rumor before I converted my first E36 but all that needed was a jumper wire. But being so late model and I think it has the CAN bus system, it may be possible that it may not work?

I dont want to have to get a whole new ecu and all.

Any info greatly appreciated

It wont work unless you change the whole wiring loom, dash and every control unit in the car..go buy a manual if you can find one.

hehe ... was doing a bit of research over this just this morning.

IT's a big(ish) job however not impossible.

The parts themselves are not impossible to get. Its the recoding of the EGS vs DME and instrument cluster

Guys are successfully using the GT1 ODBII system to recode the DME to manual mode. Then you need an actual manual EGS (gearbox control module) you then need the GT1 to re flash it, with matching VIN number, and installed.

Its expensive however. your looking around 8k to do it.

That and no body has done it here... so it would be expensive paying someone to learn.

I 'was' going to be that person .. but got talked out of it at the time.

Here is a success link.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=589599 ... flood gates in the states has opened up since a few people have learnt how to do it. I would of done it when my gearbox ate its lunch however there were too many errors been thrown up for my taste to seriosuly consider it. However now .. its a different story.

A little off topic, But what does that make a factory manual e46 worth then??

<_<

Thanks Hybrid (sorry I forgot your name, Im the guy ollie got the green e36 off)

I knew you would be the person to shed some light on this

Great link

What I gather from that is that you can do the conversion and the car will be drivable, only thing is that cruise control (which I dont have) wont work. Warning lights on the dash and possibly reverse lights?

would it be possible to just get a ecu for a manual 330 pop it in and bobs your uncle?

And in that 8k how much of that did you calculate as the price of the box clutch drive shaft pedals and all the mechanical parts?

Thanks Hybrid (sorry I forgot your name, Im the guy ollie got the green e36 off)

I knew you would be the person to shed some light on this

Great link

What I gather from that is that you can do the conversion and the car will be drivable, only thing is that cruise control (which I dont have) wont work. Warning lights on the dash and possibly reverse lights?

would it be possible to just get a ecu for a manual 330 pop it in and bobs your uncle?

And in that 8k how much of that did you calculate as the price of the box clutch drive shaft pedals and all the mechanical parts?

Oh hi :)

The other question is how much more different is the US model from euro / jap version.

Well, I was offered a ZF 6 speed for around $2300 however that was a steal. your looking at some decent money new from BMW for the 5 speed. around 5-6k new.

OEM clutch kits or UUC kits, 330ci (2 door) manual drive shaft. EGS, OEM pedals, OEM master and slave cylinders and reservoir ... the list goes on. Also what Glenn talks about you will need some level of manual loom / sensors.

I think at the end of it it might just better looking into buying a manual car. As it wont be worth the money converting in this country. Its different in the states as they have far far more availiblity for parts. hell you can even buy 'kits' to do the whole thing there.