Sign in to follow this  
duke

compression

hey.

i got a 86 318i coupe with king springs - lows. I went to top town to ask them about compressing my springs, they told be something about beamas becoming dangerous because of the type of suspension or something.. he said the srpings can un-coil gradually going over bumps quickly.. etc and eventualy wil jus fall out.. is there anyway way around this? i want my car lower without having to spend too much more money... any help would be great. cheers.

shorten your shox or bye shorter shox and it's imposible for them to fall out.

i have jamex 60mms compressed another 45ml and with shorten shox they past certifcation and fly through warrents :thumb:

compressin springs is not the key.

get a decent set up and some aftermarket shock (pm andy or gus for koni's)

i dont see why people skimp on the suspension of a car when thats gotta be the most important thing.. along with brakes :P

compressin springs is not the key.

get a decent set up and some aftermarket shock (pm andy or gus for koni's)

i dont see why people skimp on the suspension of a car when thats gotta be the most important thing.. along with brakes :P

I believe every part of the car is quite important aye

I've heard bad things with compressions such as the spring rates are funny and hard to find shocks that match them properly. If you don't find the right shocks for the springs the car doesn't behave very well.

he said the srpings can un-coil gradually going over bumps quickly..

Sounds dubious but possible. Doubt if that applies to aftermarket springs though, they probably talking about compressing stock springs.

Guest Andrew

Why do you want it lower anyway - I think it would be relatively safe to say the lower you get an e30 the worse it handles.

Guest Spargo

Tyres > brakes Damo!

E30's are at perfect height 40mm or so from stock, ie: M3 / M-tec suspension height. Hell, thats what the factory decided the best height was based on performance and looks, so how am i to disagree.

Increasing sring rates / bump / rebound and all that is fine, but i wouldnt mess too much with height, otw you'll just be another E30 sack3d on chr0m3z yo!

Guest Andrew

Tyres > brakes Damo!

E30's are at perfect height 40mm or so from stock, ie: M3 / M-tec suspension height. Hell, thats what the factory decided the best height was based on performance and looks, so how am i to disagree.

Increasing sring rates / bump / rebound and all that is fine, but i wouldnt mess too much with height, otw you'll just be another E30 sack3d on chr0m3z yo!

Thats what I meant - I mean mine is 40mm dropped. And I wouldn't go lower than that.

yer i wouldnt mind my car being lower either, althought im not sure what my ride would be like then, at the moment its great but i want to be lower damn it!

a full new set of kings the way to go then? 60mm drop?

Tyres > brakes Damo!

hehe what good are the best tyres in the world when you come to a corner about 30km over what you can take it at?

wicked tyres + corner and no brakes = wicked tyres for sale

but if you got 6 pot brembos and kelly 175/70 R13 tires those brakes aren't going to stop you.

Its a balance thing, good brakes are pointless on crappy tyres Most standard brakes have about the same stopping power, how good the tyres are is how hard you can apply them. You need god brakes when you are stopppng repeatedly from high speed, and as sic said, even wicked tyres wont save you when the brakes are too hot to work.

General rule when doing up a car, get decent tyres, then brakes, then start playing with the motor.

meh too much grip is gay

wheres the fun in that?

Ive got Jamex springs which i mayb selling soon (Find out soonish, once work etc is sorted out...) but il keep you post'd. I think that E30 should be dropped 30mm from standard height. It looks beter, but you dont really wat to have the cut spring look do you? It would be phat for show, but for every day driving?

thanx for the comments, and yeah tool.. f**kin oats.

but na i dont want it like cuties with it over the rim or anythin, jus like a tad above the top of the tyre..

my car was about 60-70mm off the ground when i got it....its ghey....it looks cool but you cant drive anywhere and handles like sh*t....even now im feeling low (100mm off ground) as i keep hitting sh*t when i drive on farm!

Why do you want it lower anyway - I think it would be relatively safe to say the lower you get an e30 the worse it handles.

i beg to differ, mine is only 65mm of the ground.

i reckon it impoved my handling

Edited by bumpstop325

My car is 100mm off the ground and i wouldn't want to go any lower. I know what you mean about too much grip Gus, but it depends what you want to do with the car.

chrome?

does not = style

chrome = ghey

unless its cool chrome

my basic rule of thumb is.....if the mag isnt in chrome would it look cool? if yes then its ok....if no then gay.

doesnt not = style

doesn't that cancel the not out ?

there fore saying ... chrome = style .. ?

Guest Andrew

i beg to differ, mine is only 65mm of the ground.

i reckon it impoved my handling

I'd reckon mine would handle better.

Come on people, Tim is right (for once haha), different people have different tastes - did you not consider that a certain Honda owner has chromies, are you calling him gay??? Also, different car uses means different setups, you don't want your car too low if you're driving over alot of bumps and the like now do you.

I'd reckon mine would handle better.

Unless someone show's me some evidentual information explaining what setup is best i'm going to assume that having a low centre of gravity improves handling - provided the right springs and shocks are used.

I like the look of those super touring cars in europe, you know, the Audi's and Merc's with the massive flareguards and super low springs. They look awesome and appear to handle wickedly after watching them on the Nurnberg ring a few months back.

If Tim put some good shocks on his car to match his springs i'd say he'd have a fairly mean setup for the track. Tim, how did you find your car at Manfeild last Sunday, you seemed to be having alot of fun :lol: