Sign in to follow this  
duke

compression

The lower you can get the c.o.f the better your car should go round corners, BUT, not at the expense of suspension travel. I reckon with the same shocks, and spring rates etc but different ride heights tims would probably be better in the track but andys would go better on bumpy back roads, (ignoring any other mods)

Which is why you want fully adjustable coilovers, low for the track and higher when you need the travel.

Guest Andrew

Come on people, Tim is right (for once haha), different people have different tastes - did you not consider that a certain Honda owner has chromies, are you calling him gay??? Also, different car uses means different setups, you don't want your car too low if you're driving over alot of bumps and the like now do you.

Unless someone show's me some evidentual information explaining what setup is best i'm going to assume that having a low centre of gravity improves handling - provided the right springs and shocks are used.

I like the look of those super touring cars in europe, you know, the Audi's and Merc's with the massive flareguards and super low springs. They look awesome and appear to handle wickedly after watching them on the Nurnberg ring a few months back.

If Tim put some good shocks on his car to match his springs i'd say he'd have a fairly mean setup for the track. Tim, how did you find your car at Manfeild last Sunday, you seemed to be having alot of fun :lol:

lower doesn't mean better handling. And while I do agree lower c.o.g means less weight transfer so even loading on the tyres etc etc.. The rear end of the e30 needs to move around during cornering other wise it won't have tyre on the ground. Tim's car has the stock shocks (last time I checked) which bounced a little bit even then - I'd say your carl handles better than his does. Also the amount of anti-squat that his car seems to have lost after whatever springs were put in would surely mean a lovely amount of understeer out of a highspeed large throttle corner. I'd also say aside from my car being damped correctly it is much lighter than Tim's.

The modern DTM cars don't run macpherson/trailing arm cars. The e30 is a 20 year old car that handles like a 20 year old car. Unless you make extensive modification to it (such as Glenn's car) i'd say they start all handling the same when you throw shocks/springs at them.

Here is an image that shows how lowering an e30 too much will affect the roll centre (on the macpherson arrangement) If you'd like to read more on it all this pic comes from a very good E30 M3 site. Also sorts of e30 suspension geometry on it.

http://e30m3performance.com/myths/Weight_T...t_transfer2.htm

post-5-1094776927.jpg

Cheers Andy, that's much more informative, better we all settle up our differences now I wreckon

Guest Andrew

Cheers Andy, that's much more informative, better we all settle up our differences now I wreckon

oh i'm not saying theres anything wrong with any of other people setups. Low e30s look badass.. but too low has a negative effect on handling.

BRO I LIKE CHROME.......

on my kidney grill

and i like rotaries......

....... in a batty

did you not consider that a certain Honda owner has chromies, are you calling him gay???

if this is aimed at me, take another look at my rims cause they aint chrome :rolleyes:

they will most likely be lighter than most on here too

stunna.

Guest Andrew

did you not consider that a certain Honda owner has chromies, are you calling him gay???

if this is aimed at me, take another look at my rims cause they aint chrome :rolleyes:

they will most likely be lighter than most on here too

stunna.

quite clearly polished last time i checked - not chrome.

Anyhow - back on topic please.

Guest Andrew

so unless i consider myself to be schumacher, compressing my king 'lows' should be all good? around $80 to make your car extra bling, i like it.

Essentially - yes.