Sign in to follow this  
petone

My sounds setup

did this a little while ago, 2 kenwood 12s in a sealed box with 2 amps. I can still get the spare out with the box in.

post-8-1094554050.jpg

looks sweet.....although i heard a mates car the other day and he had a ported box....went farking hard for a 12....im prob gonna do the same.....got a video clip of two properly boxed 6" (yes thats right) going hard as....observers saying harder than 2 15's....is internet so is dubious but possible......hmmm bass

lose the rear fill :P and get mad sounds or a sound store to adjust the sound stage, then you will be rolling

that looks real nice, hows your boot for rattling?

ive got a boxed rockford 12" just need a cheap amp, two cheap 6inch speakers in the rear parcel which do a surprisingly good job, and some kenwood tweeters pretty much in the front quarters, still dont know why only one works (other isint blown)

im planning on getting my sub set up like yours but with 10's or even 3 8's for double kicks.

Edited by Munts316i

Guest Spargo

Looks good, i'd suggest ditching one sub, and sealing the remaining sub to fire against the "ski hole" and if you can completely seal around, so all the subs energy is expended into the cabin, you'll lose all your rattles, and it will sound louder, strange but true.

I rekon one 10 is enoug sub for an E30, anymore than that, and it's just bling, or you love DnB.

Looks good, i'd suggest ditching one sub, and sealing the remaining sub to fire against the "ski hole" and if you can completely seal around, so all the subs energy is expended into the cabin, you'll lose all your rattles, and it will sound louder, strange but true.

I rekon one 10 is enoug sub for an E30, anymore than that, and it's just bling, or you love DnB.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

post 5 and 6 here, also use the link in my post to read about sounds...

please dont tell people to point a sub forward...ever..

Don't worry sic* the rear fill is on the way out. I've been driving round for a while now with the fade all the way forward. I wasn't sure whether i would like it or not. I think I'll take them out and put the factory grills in there with no speakers, would that be good or bad?

The are a few rattles, slowly fixing them.

And yeah i did it myself. Equiment aside i spent around 200 on power cable, RCA, connections, fuses, wood, carpet etc so budget more than you think you'll need.

Munts316i, buy my amp!

its a lightning audio, 150 x 2 or 50 x 4 so you can power 2 subs, or 1 sub and 2 speakers, or 4 speakers. $180

looking good Mike.. I'll have to check out your sounds when i check out those parts of your mates.

My speakers are all covert and hidden behind factory covers.. The fronts probably should be on the door, but oh well, gives a thief nothing to look at.

Will putting the other amp behind that panel affect cooling of the amp? or it doesn't get to that point where it's creating a decent amount of heat?

Guest Spargo

please dont tell people to point a sub forward...ever..

Anyone who believes the bass is louder or better in any way having the woofer fire into the trunk need to do some studying.Think of the car as 3 boxes...front (cabin) rear (trunk) and subwoofer Some guys try and bullshit their way into saying the bass has a longer distance to develop...BULLSHIT! a 20Hz wave is about 54 feet long, do you really think the 2 feet you gain will make a difference?

The reality is that when you fire a speaker into a corner, you gain about 3db from an old accoustical trick known as "corner loading", because the wave will reinforce itself against a wall. Corner loading is more powerful at lower frequencies.

Since what we hear is full range, when the box is fired backwards we hear more effect from the lower frequencies, so in effect, you are using an accoustic equalizer, but it is only a trick on your ears. You lose upper bass, between 50Hz and 100 Hz, you do NOT gain anything.

Like comparing a 2 stroke engine that makes all of its power over a small part of its RPM range versus a more powerful electric motor that makes the same power regardless of RPM, the 2 stroke seems stronger because of its big surge in output...in fact, it is weaker. More dramatic, but weaker.Most people prefer the drama, regardless of what they say.

Most people do not expend the energy to make a box completely seal into the cabin. ANY loss of seal at all will cause the wave of the speaker to wrap around the box and cause cancellations withing the trunk. Those cancellations are then corner loaded, then reflected back into the cabin 180 degrees out of phase, causing a huge loss in output. This is why some cars have more bass in the cabin with the trunk open, due to lack of seal. This can not and does not apply to hatchbacks, by the way...for obvious reasons. On cars that aren't as well sealed as the E30 have cancellation issues ranging from the rear deck speakers themselves to pressure waves going into the trunk through the rear side panels, the car must be completely divided into a front half and a back half, with all the energy sealed into the front half.

Last few Canze winning SQ cars have had their subs facing forward. I guess they don't know sh*t then?

A little knowledge can be dangerous there, Damo.

I'm off for subway, i'm grossly hungover. Anybody want anything?

blah blah blah...

Last few Canze winning SQ cars have had their subs facing forward. I guess they don't know sh*t then?

A little knowledge can be dangerous there, Damo.

if you go speak with the owners / installers the entire cars have had the sound stage set up correctly and tuned the sub to emit the frequencies needed to complete the sound. bear in mind alot of major set ups have subs in the foot well or in pods on the door again for better sound reproduction and quality... this however is not the case for 99% of people who put sounds in there cars, they havent spent or are willing to spend $xxxxxx on the set up, at most generally a crap / average set of components, average head unit, crap power / ground and speaker cabling, no sound deadening, rear fill either 6x9's or some 6" "cheapos" or standard speakers and a sub (nothing spectacular cause the amps running it are most likely underpowered for the sub itself) put most likely in a premade box or not to specs and dumped in the boot... to face forward.

so you try to gain the best possible sounds from that $200 sub, this is generally by facing it back slightly to corner load and to also (help) smooth the wave. its not ilegal to point it forward no, just a waste of time for almost all who have, to put it nicely, average systems.

on the cancellation side of things yes it does occur thats where you angle the speakers to reflect back into the cabin, to seal the car and its seperate units is an absolute mission, and i can safely say 99.9% of the population are never going to do it either.

for sedans the boot at the end of the day is a bitch. But if you want a better sound, even if it is only percieved than thats going to be better.

what system do you have sam?

oh yes a little knowledge is dangerous sam.

Guest Spargo

I dont disagree with you Damo, vaild point about the 200 dollar sounds. Boom for little bling isn't really my scene.

A friend of mine said it best when he said he'd never bother with sounds in his car, unless he was going to drop 10K and do it properly (still, 10K in the sound world aint much)

I think to sum up, do it once, do it properly.

I think to sum up, do it once, do it properly.

ding ding!!!

hole in one :D

that is the key, just sucks that you get what you pay for... and people never quite pay enough

haha sam i havnt read the last 4 posts just yours....now i cant remember which one i

was reading but i do believe that is cut and pasted word for word from a website

snapped

HAHAHAAHA if it is... :finger:

Na bro, i edited for spelling, and make it readable!

skooled.

Guest Andrew

20 Hz wave at 25 deg cel speed of sound is 346.65 m/s so v = f * lambda so lambda = 346.65 m/s /20 Hz which = 326.65 m

So that cut and paste sound dude is full of sh*t also hah ^_^

20 Hz wave at 25 deg cel speed of sound is 346.65 m/s so v = f * lambda so lambda = 346.65 m/s /20 Hz which = 326.65 m

So that cut and paste sound dude is full of sh*t also hah ^_^

sams on fire.. bail out bro, bail out!