Sign in to follow this  
bimmer boy

Wing Mirrors

Long story short. My wing mirrors kindly got smashed off for me tonight. luckily both still in ok knick, minus scrached/chipped paint. Was wondering how to re-attach them.

They are OEM M3 mirrors.

Thanks

Same thing happened to me, just line up the three prongs and give the mirror a good shove and it should clip back into the holder.

Okay, here we go,

Coincidently this all occured withen 50 metres of Botany Motor Works...

I dropped the BMW to my mate who is the chef at the restuant on the corner of that intersection. I took his Audi for the day.

Went back there tonight after my uni exhabition, car was fine when I saw it walking in as it was parked right infront of the entrance to the resturant..

Saw my mate, hung around upstairs and had a beer, I go to leave and was like err where is my mirror?

So I was litterally standing by my car scratching my head and someone came out and was like dude im so sorry these dudes we doing this and that and then they tried to fight me by your car and the mirrors got knocked off etc.

This dude stunk like brewry and was saying how he will pay for it and I was like yip what ever mate I'll send you the bill.

My mate came out to leave also and he ended out knowing the dude and so yeah, he can pay for it to be fixed along with the nice fresh down to the primer scratches on the door from the mirror grinding up against the paint..

I will be resolved haha

Edited by RJS

That was quite decent of the guy. From what I read it sounds like the mirrors got detached from the base? Apparently they are designed to do just that so they dont break off, just put some force into it and they will attach back onto the base like ecko said.

Yea it was good of him to front up and say what happend and say he will pay for it, so I'll get it fixed and all painted and he can pay.

Sorry to here what happened to your car. We have alot of sh*t going on around this area. You have to be vigulant all the time. Had armed police with their Gloks on surround the grocery store here yesterday about lunchtime. Dont know what was going on...maybe someone stole an apple. South Auckland is such a loverly, peaceful, safe place to live and work in.

I have something called "preventative parking" basically it intails me finding the widest / away from everyone else park I can find including at least the first 'click' in the doors hinge distance for me and / or the person parking next to me.

I also analyse the surroundings including: pubs entrances / retards / kids on skate boards (because kids these days just cant skate the way we use too ;) ) / old people / people movers / commercail vehicles.

first rule I go for is not to park in a touch park situation.

you know what .. in the nearly 3 years ive had my new paint job .. not once have I had a problem. Including small dents.

I have something called "preventative parking" basically it intails me finding the widest / away from everyone else park I can find including at least the first 'click' in the doors hinge distance for me and / or the person parking next to me.

I also analyse the surroundings including: pubs entrances / retards / kids on skate boards (because kids these days just cant skate the way we use too ;) ) / old people / people movers / commercail vehicles.

first rule I go for is not to park in a touch park situation.

you know what .. in the nearly 3 years ive had my new paint job .. not once have I had a problem. Including small dents.

+1 I do exactly the same. Doing all that stuff reduces the chance and if your mirrors still get knocked off then you've got pretty bad luck <_<

Yea I do the same thing Josh, only it was my mate who was using my car parked it right out front, which is handy as it is right under the video camera so my mate watched it this morning and he said its all on camera clear as day..

Got some quotes/ damage control today

The pasenger side was totally sweet and clipped back in.

The drivers side was bad as the metal clips inside the mirror snapped so I need a new mirror so I went to work and got a quote on the new mirror.

Excluding the glass and unpainted obviously that costs $461.20

So all up the first quote to re-attach and paint the new mirror and fix the the gauges in the door paint is

$1141.20 (Including OEM mirror)

and the second quote (which is actually my most perfered place costs

$1012.48 (also including the mirror)

So I cant wait till my mate hands the boy the quotes for him to choose which one he wants to pay... haha

So, I went back to the resturant to talk to the guy who did it, gave him the two quotes. Cant say he was overjoyied about it but thats not my problem but for a young dude he was good about it and hopefully it will be sorted by next week. Worse comes to worse it was all caught so perfectly on camera and I'll just send it to the police and let them deal to it haha

Meanwhile...

My mirror is still ductaped to the car. Any ideas on a tempoary fix that will hold it in place and is a bit more aesthetically pleasing than lots of different coloured ductape? haha