Sign in to follow this  
jjs

Transmission / drive train issues?

Jumped in the car yesterday for the first time in about week and noticed quite a lot of noise. At first I thought it was a wheel rubbing, but that wasn't the case. The noise is similar to a excessive road noise from bad tyres. It "whines" when going down hill too. Maybe this is a gear box or drive train issue? Its a 96 328i with a jatco. Any ideas what this could be? I am a complete noob when it comes to mechanical issues...

my gearbox whines hard, sounds like i got a turbo or something from a few meters back :lol: is only does it when the clutch is out and its in neutral.

you checked to see if its not leaking gearbox fluid, as that would cause more friction i guess? well thats what i traced the problem too and a little top up got rid of most of the noise.

Jumped in the car yesterday for the first time in about week and noticed quite a lot of noise. At first I thought it was a wheel rubbing, but that wasn't the case. The noise is similar to a excessive road noise from bad tyres. It "whines" when going down hill too. Maybe this is a gear box or drive train issue? Its a 96 328i with a jatco. Any ideas what this could be? I am a complete noob when it comes to mechanical issues...

Does it make the noise stationary with the motor running ??

Or just when your moving ??

Does it make the noise stationary with the motor running ??

Or just when your moving ??

Just when moving. Sounds a bit like metal on metal.

Check for stones in your brakes, caught in the callipers or between the backing plates & rotors

Check for stones in your brakes, caught in the callipers or between the backing plates & rotors

Thought this problem had fixed itself, but it has reappeared.

It's a constant deep humming noise coming from the front. Gets more noticeable at 50km/h plus and is there whether in neutral or drive.

Do I need to take the wheel off to check for said stone?

Ive had stones in the brakes a couple of times. Its a very different sound to the one your describing. The last time the kids thought we'd run over a witch, the noise sounded like a banshee being knifed.

Im happy to be proved wrong because stones in the brakes is an easy fix, but it was far from a dull humming noise

Ive had stones in the brakes a couple of times. Its a very different sound to the one your describing. The last time the kids thought we'd run over a witch, the noise sounded like a banshee being knifed.

Im happy to be proved wrong because stones in the brakes is an easy fix, but it was far from a dull humming noise

Hmmm... maybe to be on the safe side I should tell the mrs not to drive far unless it is absolutely necessary, will have to check it out when back from holiday.

Do shagged bearings make noise when they are on their way out?