Sign in to follow this  
curryinahurry

Should I change my tranny fluid?

Hi there,

I have a E36 323i 1996.

Its done about 110000ks, and everything seems to be going alright, including the tranny.

The question is, should I pay the money and change the transmission fluid anyway?

cheers!

No harm in doing some research first

e.g.

- when it was last changed, if at all

- how much it will cost to change

and then you can make a educated decision, just so you dont throw away money just yet

i would change it every 100,000 kms any way just for peace of mind

I know how much it costs and I also know that it hasn't been done before.

I just want to know if its worth doing, and whether it should be done or not. Wouldn't want to change it and then start running into problems..

i havent heard of many auto transmissions that run into problems untill 200,000 + kms, if its been treated nicely

but you cant always guarantee it.

i personally would change it every 100,000 kms, for peace of mind, but thats because id do it my self, and dont have to pay some one.

how much are they charging ?

Hi there,

I have a E36 323i 1996.

Its done about 110000ks, and everything seems to be going alright, including the tranny.

The question is, should I pay the money and change the transmission fluid anyway?

cheers!

At that mileage, and knowing that it has never been done..... I would definately do it. Replace filter, clean out pan, replace harness socket "O" rings, gearchange shaft seals, refit pan with new gasket and refill with the correct oil. If its an import it will probably have the Jatco trans. The correct oil is G3 full synthetic.... and NO...you cant do that for $100