Sign in to follow this  
RvT

Speed Cameras

A friend was doing some spirited driving a few nights ago and was wondering what the fine structure is incase a ticket arrives in the mail.

Anyone care to share some experiences ? Also for the record, at what speed on a camera can they take your licence off you :(

Edited by RvT

I believe they can't take your licence off you unless pulled over by a cop.

30-39km over limit = $300 I believe

Only ticket fastest 20% of flashes...you could be lucky

I got done doing 61kph the other week by a speed camera van, on the plus side work pays for it :)

Its somethink like:

10-14km over = $90

15-19km over = $120

etc etc

50km over is like $630

Speed cameras will only sting your wallet.

Can be quite costly but the key point is 0 demerit points so you license is unaffected!

Trust me, I know how bad it is to lose a license...

I would pay money any day rather than have them take it from me >.<

I don't think they can take your licence off you at any speed via speed cameras as they will ahve a hard time identifying you as the driver.

Thanks guys.

Edited by RvT

im sure i lost demerit points to a speed camera van?

and my mate lost license to same van

Hmm, highly doubt they are allowed to do that... unless they can somehow be 100% sure that it was you driving it??

Edited by crazyarab

Just asked a Cop friend of mine, and he said they can deduct demerit points if the driver can be identified or if someone (ie boss) states that you were driving at the time. If it is excessive speeding they may further investigate the case and one can lose a licence.

Last month, ticket for over 100km in a 50km/h zone. Just under a grand in fines. No court, no loss of licence, no demerits.

Was a friend, not me so no flame wars mmmm kay? :)

I would pay money any day rather than have them take it from me >.<

But you wouldnt consider slowing down <_<

Im not here to start a war, but surely you had several warnings and yet you still continued to drive over the speed limit.

I'm pretty sure that was the old system, and now everyone gets a ticket.

I'm pretty sure that was the old system, and now everyone gets a ticket.

I had the same feeling - think it changed about 3-4 years ago (possibly at the same time they stopped using hidden cameras, stopped marking speed camera areas etc).

Im not here to start a war, but surely you had several warnings and yet you still continued to drive over the speed limit.

+1

The difficulty in getting insurance would be the biggest deterrent for me!

I've had one for 56 in a 50. That's just wrong.

You are kidding right.. Do you know the definition for limit?

Posted Image

You are kidding right.. Do you know the definition for limit?

Posted Image

I believe so.

Do you know the definition for self righteous do gooder?

Do you know the definition for self righteous do gooder?

Lol. Quoted for fag-ness

100kmh+ is not inherently dangerous. 50kmh where it's perfectly legal can be a lot more dangerous than 150kmh in other circumstances.

Speed limits are fine in built-up areas, but a blanket national speed limit is a very blunt instrument and as such often unnecessary. An unnecessary limit erodes people's respect for a necessary one. My opinion is that 100kmh is a bad speed limit.

Anyway think yourselves lucky the camera system works as it does. In the UK demerits are called penalty points. Your car gets snapped, even from the rear, and you get a letter. If you don't admit you were driving, or dob in whoever was, you get the same points as you would for speeding, but for an offence of failing to declare the driver. This in a country which supposedly originated "innocent until proven guilty" and where the only other crime you are allowed to be forced to self-incriminate for is terrorism. One of the reasons I left the UK? Oh yes. Seriously.

Edited by Fen

I think this is the case. I was with a mate who got flashed doing about 62 in a 50 a couple of months ago and he hasn't received a ticket.

Just asked a Cop friend of mine, and he said they can deduct demerit points if the driver can be identified or if someone (ie boss) states that you were driving at the time. If it is excessive speeding they may further investigate the case and one can lose a licence.

I was under the impression that a speed camera ticket attracts no demerit points. However, if you get snapped at 50km/h over the limit (this was a while back and may have reduced now) the Police may decide to prosecute you for dangerous driving (which means a loss of licence in most situations and is a whole other kettle of fish).

Actually, NZ road laws are some of the most ridiculous I have come across...

100 demerit points over the duration of 2 bloody years!...

To put this in perspective you get like 30-40 points for 20km over the speed limit.

In my car 70km comes up faster than I can blink (and 99.99% of the time I don't even notice it and am driving completely mallow) I mean hell it's like the 1/100'th of my speedo!

Like the day I lost my license for example... I got caught doing 71 in 50k zone, sweet as I am pissed off yeh but I deserved it sure. So I drive off, honest to god not wanting to speed then ANOTHER cop stops me within 1 minute as I was doing 61 before I knew it... I show him my ticket that I just got and he laughed and wrote me up another one.

Not to mention that they give stupid demerit pionts for things like loud exhausts (up to 40!!)... Not that I have one or anything as I hate shitty loud mufflers.

Thing is I am simply slipping up with no real intention of speeding. I have never pulled up for stupid excessive speeding where it would serve me right to lose my license.

2 years and 100 demerit points (with very harsh point system) is just BS... especially when you have half decent machine.

Punish the real speedsters not the slip ups!

He may be able to challenge it.

I got a ticket for doing 51 in a 40k school zone at 3pm yadee yadah. I asked a mate and he said that if you ring the ministry and ask for the pic and there is another car going in the opposite way in the opposite lane n the picture then they can't prove who was speeding. So I got off it :D