Sign in to follow this  
tibbs.james

E30 Steering universal Joint

Hi Guys

On Friday i felt my steering start to click when driving around roundabouts and car parks.Turns out it was the lower steering universal joint had gone sloppy on me.

But don't worry i have replaced the whole joint with a mint low km's one.

My real issue is that the dealer wants around $1000 for a complete unit ex Germany and this seems ridiculous. I don't normally like fitting second hand or non rebuilt parts but i have been forced to due to cost and availability.

Have these universal joints been successfully rebuilt before ?

I would like to have mine rebuilt and fit a urethane steering coupler but i want to know if this is possible, the actual joint looks like its pressed together in a way it won't come apart again.

Any Idea's appreciated.

so if you own and old BMW check your steering rubber coupler and make sure the joints are not sloppy.

post-1885-1229923650_thumb.png

The clicking noise is usually caused by wear in the small plastic bush, (part no. 4 in the diagram) They cost less than $2 from a BMW dealer.

The coupling is rivitted together ex factory, but when rebuilt they are bolted together again as shown in your diagram, all the parts are available from a dealer indivdually, no need to spend $1000 on a complete unit.

Only the rubber coupling & bush are replaceable. The universal joints aren't

As it turns out after taking the car to work today

The Notch'y and click'y feeling at 50km and slower speeds is still there when turning

So this could be my already replaced power steering rack stuffed

( it was a mint second hand one with no leaks )

Or it could be the power steering pump. I ask this because when the engine isn't running and turning the wheels lock to lock on the garage floor feels perfectly fine.

Will the P/S rack be any worse off if i remove the belt and test it like that ?

If it turns out the pump is shot can I just leave the belt off and drive it without power steering ?

You sure its not a slipping belt or the front springs binding and slipping it the spring plates

Yes you can drive it without the power steering pump working...however I would be more inclined to find out whats wrong

Edited by *Glenn*

Belt is good, checked tension of the belt last night while i swapping my Universal Joints.

The Front strut assembly was recently replaced with 51mm, struts, i suppose it could be this.

I only ever get the click when there is a bit of steering effort required.

Good point Glenn, its not the spring plates but it could be the upper bearing for sure, it was fitted up as it came apart with all the correct washer and everything, what problems would i be looking for upon dis assembly ?

These struts have been fitted for a month now with no problems.

Check the shock insert caps for tightness too. Get someone to help you, get them to turn the steering, creating the noise and check where its coming from.

I'm keen to make a urethane one, I don't know how it much it will effect steering responsiveness though.

I'm keen to make a urethane one, I don't know how it much it will effect steering responsiveness though.

I'm not sure that might work Ollie. The universal has to flex, you might find the eurothane will crack and eventually break. Eurothane is mainly used for static bushes

Edited by *Glenn*

Check the shock insert caps for tightness too. Get someone to help you, get them to turn the steering, creating the noise and check where its coming from.

Right I have had the car in nosed into the workshop to try and diagnose the problem. Both the front struts all check out perfectly, no noise or roughness coming from there.

As far as i can work out the noise is infarct coming from the power steering rack but I am still unsure on exactly what is making the noise and where its coming from.

With the power steering belt removed the click/notch was all but gone but i do believe i can feel it very faintly. I think with the P/S belt installed this amplifies the notch/click

Rack could be stuffed, sounds like i need steering rack number .3

If anybody can help me out diagnosing the problem that would be appreciated.

S**T if this carries on I'm going to have to get a car that can actually get me to work.