Sign in to follow this  
petone

Gaargh!

Stupid clutch isn't disengaging properly. Just started happening tonight. Slowly got worse and worse. There is still fluid in the reservoir. Pedal feels really wierd, sometimes car will stall and or wont moving when its in gear. To make it worse sometimes the clutch is back to normal, but normally the clutch will start engaging right as soon as i start to release the pedal. I'm assuming its either the master or slave cylinder. Is there anyway to tell what ones playing up or could it be something completley different?

Yeah, i know, i have taken them out of my mates car so i know how to do it. Is it possible to tell without having to take them out? What do the recon kits cost?

Yeah, i know, i have taken them out of my mates car so i know how to do it. Is it possible to tell without having to take them out? What do the recon kits cost?

Pull the rubber boots back and have a look for seepage. Normaly if this is the case, you will suddenly run out of fluid and find your self with no clutch.

Your problem sounds more like a pressure plate or a clutch plate problem, but in saying that, defentley look at your cylinders first... much cheaper :)

Recon kits are cheap, just a few rubber seals in them. Take them to Auto Stop or equilivent and match them up. Maybe the are BMW only kits out there, but unlikely.

Hope its not a 'box out' job <_<

Had a decent look at the hydraulic system and couldn't see any leaks. I also noticed that when i put my foot on the clutch it would disengage as normal but after a few seconds it would start to engage again. When i look at the lsave cylinder i could see the rod was do exactly that, it was getting forced back. I replaced the slave cylinder and bled it and its still doing so its gotta be the master cylinder, i'll do that tomoro and see what happens.

Bought a slave one as well.. Bloody cheap, at $20 or something for the slave, and $30 something for the master recon i think. Give them a bell. There's one in Porirua I think Mike. I've just PMd you anyway.

Mike, there's a BNT in Lower Hutt on high street, master kit is $28 and slave kit $18. I got them both from there when I did my box.

Recon kit wont work, i pulled it apart and the internal spring is in 5 different pieces. I got to get a whole new master cylinder. Whos the best to go see for a brand new one?

Don't go to Shelly's, they'll charge you $285 for a new master cylinder, if you can't find a spare then try the big names like sd euro, europarts etc...

Tried the wreckers, they all wanted ridiculus prices as well, BNT have been the best so far, $100 + gst, my mates was cheaper than that though and a garage supplied his.

FINALLY FIXED!

Turned out to be the master cylinder, ian found me another spring and i got a recon kit from BNT ($25). Put it back together and now my clutch is back to normal. just hoping it stays that way...

Dammit, another congratulatory for Ian, seems to be quite commonplace now, perhaps we should give him a prize...The Jemima Paddle Duck prize for excellence in solving everyone elses headaches!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Ian, i'll have to give you some leeches as a reward, remind me on the weekend ;)

FINALLY FIXED!

Turned out to be the master cylinder, ian found me another spring and i got a recon kit from BNT ($25). Put it back together and now my clutch is back to normal. just hoping it stays that way...

ahh a sigh of releif when a car is non-bung.

w3r|) dawg