Sign in to follow this  
325_driver

Internal fuel pump?

any one had an internal fuel pump in an e30 die ?

i over heard a topic a while ago that e30s have a internal fuel pump to prime the external pump?

true ?

What would be some symptoms if this internal pump was faulty?

Guest FrantiC

any one had an internal fuel pump in an e30 die ?

i over heard a topic a while ago that e30s have a internal fuel pump to prime the external pump?

true ?

What would be some symptoms if this internal pump was faulty?

Yes it's possible.

On pre-facelift models, there is an internal pump (which pulse feeds and acts as the "pick up") sends fuel to the external pump and the external pump feeds it through the rest of the fuel system to the fuel rail and back.

Internal pump failure will usually be in the way of low fuel pressure (which could also be external pump), or you will hear the pump whining extremely loud from behind you - as the internal pickup sits right under the right side rear seat under the black cover.

Yeah might need to buy another one of them dammit, unless the other spare one i have lying arround works, is there a relay or a fuse that i should be aware of in regards the fuel pump/ ext and int

just incase a fuse has gone

yes , i get asked about 2 times a month for one

anyone got one they can flick for 30 + postage?

Have you tested yours yet? No point in replacing if it works.

have enough miscellaneous parts floating round our house for e30's. replaced fuel pump, and internal fuel pump.

and if in doubt replace, cause holy crap its quick again. will be posting some runs up on you tube soon and maybe you guys could have a look, cause shes flying

have enough miscellaneous parts floating round our house for e30's. replaced fuel pump, and internal fuel pump.

and if in doubt replace, cause holy crap its quick again. will be posting some runs up on you tube soon and maybe you guys could have a look, cause shes flying

I dunno - if in doubt, get out your multimeter and check its getting power, then run the pumps into a jar to see if they are doing what they are supposed to.

But I am glad you found the problem :)