Sign in to follow this  
bmwsparkle

ABS worries

have had some problems with my ABS since getting my E28.

Early BMW ABS = pain in the ass.

Anyway back in the day when i first got my 5 i took it to a cheap place to get some new rotors and pads installed, a while after getting them installed my ABS light started to flicker and then after a while stayed constinantly on.

The place where i took them (shall stay unknown for the moment :angry: ) didnt know how to fix what caused the ABS light to come on, he seemed to think it was coinsidence that the light came on after he changed my brakes (yeah....na)

Anyway, after weeks of f*ckin round i finally gave in and took it to the stealer to see what they thought was the problem, they diagnosed the problem as the ABS Central Control Unit (ABS computer) fried and i had to find a second hand one, or the option of paying $2000 for a new unit...

Anyway after months of the stealer searching i finally gave up and looked for one myself, i very luckily came across one at SD Euro and got the unit plus freight etc for $290, i was happy.

I took it in this week to finally get the ABS fixed, and with my wof weeks away i was happy to know that my ABS light would be off.... but yeah...na.............

The sparky rung me up saying that they didnt think the unit was the problem and after a while diagnosed the problem as the front 2 ABS sensors as being f*cked.... and could have been caused by the cheap guy that did my brakes when installing the rotors... Once again none at wreckers, how much new? $500.... each.... F*CK!

So now i have to look overseas, another option is ripping my ABS out and getting non ABS bits installed therefore converting it to non ABS. But theres a shitload of labour involved in this and the sparky thought it could work out to more than a grand, altho i would never have any ABS problems again. What do you guys think?

Also another factor being E38 brakes bolt straight onto E28s with no modifications apparently, so Im thinking having a non ABS E28 would be better when i install these (which im hopeful to do in the near future)

morals = dont go to the cheapest place because you cant afford the expensive, yet, reliable place

dont always trust your $tealer....

thanks in advance

sparkle (wow that must be the biggest post I've ever written...)

Edited by bmwsparkle

moral of story - if your selling your car remove the ABS bulb and everyone is happy.

yeah i couldnt do that to anyone andy, would hate for it to happen to me. Also im keeping it for the moment.

Guest Andrew

yeah i couldnt do that to anyone andy, would hate for it to happen to me. Also im keeping it for the moment.

then remove it for you - if the brake system works normally non-abs, and the only thing stopping you get WOF is the ABS light. Remove the light.

then remove it for you - if the brake system works normally non-abs, and the only thing stopping you get WOF is the ABS light. Remove the light.

yes the light may be off but there is still the matter of the ABS pump sitting at the front of the engine bay when they open the bonnet. ABS and all other lights come on to do a self check when the key is turned on then turns off when things are deemed ok. if its taken out in the first place it wont work unless hooking it up to the oil pressure light, and bugger that, i dont do things half arsed like that, its just dodgey, would you do that to your e30 if it was you andy?

would you do that to your e30 if it was you andy?

rhetorical questions on a saturday <_<

do it i mean its only a bimmer, if it was a honda then you have to do things right, the prestige is greater for hondas you know.. :bowdown: :mosh: :finger:

Guest Andrew

yes the light may be off but there is still the matter of the ABS pump sitting at the front of the engine bay when they open the bonnet. ABS and all other lights come on to do a self check when the key is turned on then turns off when things are deemed ok. if its taken out in the first place it wont work unless hooking it up to the oil pressure light, and bugger that, i dont do things half arsed like that, its just dodgey, would you do that to your e30 if it was you andy?

I mean - its ABS - you don't need it. And can live without it. If I had the light coming on - i'd ditch it and not bother fixing it.

do it i mean its only a bimmer, if it was a honda then you have to do things right...

because you need all the help you can get in the event of an emergency situation. Whereas the big old 5 would just barrel on thru unharmed, because its made of metal and not sardine cans (oh wait, that was our old datto wagon... but the same applies...)

Seriously sparkle, when you get it sorted, if there is anyway that you can put the costs back on the old dodgy guys, do it - if they are the reason for the sensors being bung they should have to pay for it! I did that when i got the rear brakes re-built on my ute, the 1st guys did em, and 2 weeks later the drums were covered in brake fluid. I took it to my current mechanic who pulled it apart and said the repair was dodgy and we gave the repair bill to the first guys...

good luck with it man, im assuming youve been looking on trademe and the like - I see they had an e28 that was being wrecked a little while ago... Also, Brent HARTGE535i has a few e28s kicking around... Have you asked him for the parts you need?

because you need all the help you can get in the event of an emergency situation. Whereas the big old 5 would just barrel on thru unharmed, because its made of metal and not sardine cans (oh wait, that was our old datto wagon... but the same applies...)

Seriously sparkle, when you get it sorted, if there is anyway that you can put the costs back on the old dodgy guys, do it - if they are the reason for the sensors being bung they should have to pay for it! I did that when i got the rear brakes re-built on my ute, the 1st guys did em, and 2 weeks later the drums were covered in brake fluid. I took it to my current mechanic who pulled it apart and said the repair was dodgy and we gave the repair bill to the first guys...

good luck with it man, im assuming youve been looking on trademe and the like - I see they had an e28 that was being wrecked a little while ago... Also, Brent HARTGE535i has a few e28s kicking around... Have you asked him for the parts you need?

hey thanks man, finally a decent post on this thread. yeah ive talked to brent and he may be able to source me some.

sparkle

Guest WAGON

hmmm abs is really good to have in the wet in the 318i while your out of control

pity i dint have it in there :)

if i had abs my car wouldnt have crashed so it healthy to have it

if i had abs my car wouldnt have crashed so it healthy to have it

yes you would have.

just like if i was walking on the other side of the road the other day some hot chick would have walked up asked for sex and then given me 2 bigillion $$...

yes you would have.

just like if i was walking on the other side of the road the other day some hot chick would have walked up asked for sex and then given me 2 bigillion $$...

haha exactly!!

Evan bro, when your out of control, ABS isnt going to save you - its my experience that hitting the brakes when your sliding only makes things worse....

Guest WAGON

ha ha you cant call me a dumbass till you know thw whole story

to make it short

on the way to taupo mates car in front diff locks so im like sh*t slam on my brakes and lose control

on the way to taupo mates car in front diff locks so im like sh*t slam on my brakes and lose control

now i know the full story....dumbass :finger:

I've been practising to brake hard with non-abs without skidding. Simply a case of not slamming the brake on too hard to begin with and gaining a feel for the lock point. Doesn't matter if it's wet or dry so long as you got decent tread and not some crappy budget tyre.

Another one to practise is purposely locking it up so as to ease it off to regain control. I had really short lockup down south coming into one of those numerous west coast one lane bridges last week. Pressed it too hard in the wet and it started to lock so a quick ease and she rolled up nicely behind Jamahl with feet to spare :D