Sign in to follow this  
ZNeM

Upgrading the speakers

I've got a 1998 735i e38 non dsp with 10 speakers I want to upgrade the speakers and put a sub in but have not got much money what speakers do you think I should get. Rear and sub can come lasted.

I've got a 1998 735i e38 non dsp with 10 speakers I want to upgrade the speakers and put a sub in but have not got much money what speakers do you think I should get. Rear and sub can come lasted.

A new set of speakers will cost around $500 USD (850 NZD) + shipping ex USA.

From these guys:

http://bavariansoundwerks.com/

Best solution as it is plug-and-play, no wiring damage at all, and very easy to fit.

Then a subwoofer = $700 USD = 1200 USD

If you don't have that money, then spend what you have on vehicle maintenance instead

Edited by jochen

i have a full set of premium speakers incl sub from a e39 528i 96 if that helps .

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-196102808.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-196103684.htm

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

Your looking at some decent money anyway you look at it.

Probably best to see what the yanks have done first.

I looked into it for the e46 but it just introduces to many aftermarket stick on parts for my liking. It was going to cost me about $3500 to properly upgrade. Otherwise stock was still the best option.

If you goin to run it from the stock head unit you need line signal converters into aftermakert amps.

Your looking at some decent money anyway you look at it.

Probably best to see what the yanks have done first.

I looked into it for the e46 but it just introduces to many aftermarket stick on parts for my liking. It was going to cost me about $3500 to properly upgrade. Otherwise stock was still the best option.

If you goin to run it from the stock head unit you need line signal converters into aftermakert amps.

I mite just do the front speakers then work from there then.

Go DLS. Or jump on nzicemag.co.nz for decent advice on audio

some threads I fond using google.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showt...d.php?t=1140290

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288963

seems you can tape quite successfully into the stock audio to get a line level signal! .. the rest should be easy! :)

Remember, when adding a sub or rear tray speakers you cannot legally cut/drill the cars metal tray or rear boot divider so check out the LTSA site before you do any metal work else you might find you can get a WOF next time.

some threads I fond using google.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showt...d.php?t=1140290

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288963

seems you can tape quite successfully into the stock audio to get a line level signal! .. the rest should be easy! :)

Remember, when adding a sub or rear tray speakers you cannot legally cut/drill the cars metal tray or rear boot divider so check out the LTSA site before you do any metal work else you might find you can get a WOF next time.

Thing is I have the non dsp amp and thats for the dsp amp. I've got the 26 pin connector but do not have the 15 pin connector and the 18 pin connector but do have a 12 pin connector on the amp. But can not find one for that 12 pin connector for the non dsp amp.

I've got a 740i 2001 non dsp model, and ill be adding a pioneer premiere soon so ill let you knows how it goes, I've found a good manual on how to do the install, its for a e39 non dsp, but there basically the same systems for the 7 so it should work

http://bavariansoundwerks.com/product-extr...Sedan_97-03.pdf

I've got a 740i 2001 non dsp model, and ill be adding a pioneer premiere soon so ill let you knows how it goes, I've found a good manual on how to do the install, its for a e39 non dsp, but there basically the same systems for the 7 so it should work

http://bavariansoundwerks.com/product-extr...Sedan_97-03.pdf

Thanks for that. I'm just going to add a sub at the moment and see how that goes.

Did you get yours installed?

well i finally got around to install the sub/amp using the videos and guides from bav sound. its all working great now just gotta tune it properly as the front speakers r slighty distorted

Ill be starting my install this w/e too.. Already have the fronts done. Just needa swap the amps in and piggyback the sub amp + bit of tuning for my res freq and figure how im getting bass from my boot to my face.

Zetus + DD SS1 = steeeealth.. Ooooh I'm excited. Just need a new sub... Hmmm Rainbow amboss maybe? Havent heard those yet. Will have to live with the soundstream exact until then i get a new one

I've found that the E39 is the easiest stereo install ive ever done, all the wires are there from the factory wiring from the H/U to the amp and right back to the speakers. So EVERYTHING was done in the boot, and all i had to do was buy some replacement speakers in the front, rear, and add couple amps and a sub. all up didn't take more than 4hours to change the entire setup. The only thing that took slightly longer was creating a custom box in the boot for the sub (and i still got the spare tire in the boot). Thank god for full sized spares in the E39.

post-156-1233773024_thumb.jpg

post-156-1233773038_thumb.jpg

Edited by aliluya

Hmmm Rainbow amboss maybe? Havent heard those yet. Will have to live with the soundstream exact until then i get a new one

SS Exact is a good sub. Had a 10 in the wife's e30 and it went very well. IDQv2 are being sold out under $200, and the IDQv3 is around the same price as the Amboss. Can lend you a demo one if you want to have a listen: rxi-rolla has it at the mo but will be getting it back from him shortly.

SS Exact is a good sub. Had a 10 in the wife's e30 and it went very well. IDQv2 are being sold out under $200, and the IDQv3 is around the same price as the Amboss. Can lend you a demo one if you want to have a listen: rxi-rolla has it at the mo but will be getting it back from him shortly.

Yeah that would be incredibly awesome! Ive wanted to hear ID for a long since you guys started pimping it, but haven't been around to Wades to listen to his for a while now. Ive only got the DD SS1 on tab for power, but that should be fine right?

Just PM me whenever its free.. And under $200 for a v2??? Sounds good. I'm looking at dragon's amboss on ice at the mo. Hes just got it up for EOI but my funds wont allow it until a fortnight or 2 away.

I've found that the E39 is the easiest stereo install ive ever done, all the wires are there from the factory wiring from the H/U to the amp and right back to the speakers. So EVERYTHING was done in the boot, and all i had to do was buy some replacement speakers in the front, rear, and add couple amps and a sub. all up didn't take more than 4hours to change the entire setup. The only thing that took slightly longer was creating a custom box in the boot for the sub (and i still got the spare tire in the boot). Thank god for full sized spares in the E39.

I seen somewhere on the net you can tap into the 4v wires from your headunit? The reason i ask is i want to replace the factory amp with something aftermarket and dont want to go the high-level speaker output route...

And under $200 for a v2???

$160 for 10", $180 for 12". Don't have any 12d2 but have all the others.

yeah thats what i love about the e38 is the boot size i got a massive box and i still can get the spare tire out with ease. just gotta tidy everything up and hide the wires, my subs pumping out 1500rms. i barely got the volume up on the amp theres so much power already lol

Might get ya round sometime Nino to show me. I had a quick look and it looks intense lol.

The only thing that took slightly longer was creating a custom box in the boot for the sub (and i still got the spare tire in the boot).

How come you didn't stick the CD stacker behind the factory panel?

Thank god for full sized spares in the E39.

Who needs a spare? Tyreweld ftw.

post-2029-1233817063_thumb.jpg

Must get a better photo now the wiring is done.

pjay, have 12d4, and BennyZ on bimmerforums is running 800 into his but don't know how his gains are set. Should be good for 600rms on music.

^^Insane!

Rogan, next time you come to Mitre Ten I'm going to hound you and force you to show me how to get an amp/sub into the E38.

Sweet? Discounts all round :D