Sign in to follow this  
BLACK DORIS

3 beeps?

Hey,

Have had the car for about 9 days now - first beema, TBH it's the first car I've owned in 16 years :D .

Took it for its first decent trip on w'end (welly to taumarunui, round trip), checked all bit and pieces oil, water, fluids, tyres etc before leaving.

Around Otaki the coolant light came on but temp is staying just left of center. Pull over at next servo, let car cool a bit have a look and it's pretty dam brown and rusty looking shite in the plastic res thingameebob.

Anyway, water level seemed to still be ok but added some extra and cautiously continued on. Light turned off and temp remained normal for rest of trip but coolant light did come back on a couple of times during trip and the w'end.

Since returning to welly I have booked car in to have a flushing and system check.

One new 'characteristic' that has just started happening is an intermittent 3 beeps which occurs when the car is moving or stationary - has no other warning light to indicate what it could be? Anyone have any idea what this is?

Also does anyone have or know where I can get a manual for the '87 325iA? The seller did not have one when i purchased, although he did throw in a manual from a 320i of similar era which was ok for certain things. There are however a few mysterious things inside and outside the car that I can't seem to identify with this manual.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Rio

p.s. can't believe the handling of this car!! Was better than the 2006 toyo rental we had over xmas.

EDIT: here's the pics of the sensor things and also what i think is a ground wire? The cable was pretty frayed so have taped for now, will replace in next day or two, you can also see the rust that's on top of the radiator... might be part of what was in the radiator res. Apart from what looks like surface stuff on top, it looks fairly new.

Sensors came with nothing on/or plugged into them. Any ideas as to what should be attached to them? I've been reading the gospel according to RB but not up to that section yet, just want to read it from start to finish! :D

You can also see in the other pic a little of the splash that occured after I checked the level of radiator res -had cooled but was still a bit hot!

Well -hot enough to do a good impression of a thermal hot pool over the water res and part of the engine bay! :ph34r:

Edited by BLACK DORIS

Rio, I will leave you my Bentley manual. Its the best one around undisputed. See you soon

Worked on an Audi a couple of months ago that had a coolant issue, part of the prob was oil covering up the coolant sensor which caused the low coolant light to come on, it's proberly not the issue with yours but easy to check anyways. With the three beeps, does your car have an OBC, the pager may be activated?

the three beeps could possibly be the warning for the hour signal normally 20 sec before the hour,if your car has a onboard monitor check if there is a ))) sign in the top corner

Not sure about the 3 beeps - might be something aftermarket - OBC beeps when it's very cold, or when you go over the preset speed limt, but not 3 beeps, and its more like a "bong!" No other beeps for e30 OBC.

Coolant sensor isn't affected by oil - its a mercury switch with a magentic float. The mercury switches fail or become overly sensitive over time - mines playing up at the moment too. Anyone know what they cost?

Or you are losing coolant.

Ask me about any of your mysterious things - I have an SA car so should be able to answer them.

Also try Here

Edited by bravo

Rio, I will leave you my Bentley manual. Its the best one around undisputed. See you soon

Cheers!! thanks max, will look after it til you return form oz.

Thanks Pacem, 2slow, Bravo! There is an obc but the display/input panel is not working properly, flickering some unreadable random nonsense...

Bravo, whats the button to the left of the haz lights for? There are no symbols etc on it, but you can push it on or off although nothing seems to happen... As far as I'm aware the car is pretty stock, not sure what the after parts could/may be.

Also, could the beeping be a fuel warning? The fuel guage seems to be a little erratic i.e. will read hi and/or low initially, even on flat driveway etc then even out to what i'm guessing is about the correct amount once you are driving.

Will post some photos later this evening as there's also a couple of mysterious sensors on motor.

cheers again

rio

Button left of hazards usually rear window demister and should glow orange when on.

Didn't know e30 obc had that function. How do you enable/disable??

Edited by bravo

normal bulbs are blown =dull display(not easy to replace) if it is flickering ---- then the time has not been set

plain black button could be windows trip switch,depress it see if windows are working?

fuel gauge jumping around -would have to remove cluster fasten the nut on back of fuel gauge=earth can do the heat gauge aswell while u are busy

to set the time use a pointed pin in the recess at bottom right,set time -make sure it is set 24h00,after setting press recess again,to change time to am/pm -select fuel consumption eg 10l/100 depress recess the display should change in the 00

normal bulbs are blown =dull display(not easy to replace) if it is flickering ---- then the time has not been set

plain black button could be windows trip switch,depress it see if windows are working?

fuel gauge jumping around -would have to remove cluster fasten the nut on back of fuel gauge=earth can do the heat gauge aswell while u are busy

Cheers, will check obc again tomorrow.

Had another look earlier and there is a display of sorts, just keeps doin a sort of reset flash every second or so... actually think the whole electrics need a bit of a looking at.

Sorry, should have been more specific re fuel gauge -it's not jumping around, just reading slightly weird at initial start up. Seems to be quite sensitive to movement, car angle etc.lol.

Ok, apologies. Just realised what i thought was an obc is actually a ambient temp display and clock!! :ph34r:

say no to crack

to check our claims about the hourly chime take note of when it does actually go off...i am betting it is at 20 sec or so before the hour....

3 beeps = MEMO function

Beeps at about 10s before the hour to give you time to turn the radio on to listen to the news at the top of the hour.

That's what the 3-beeps were designed for.

they still have them in the BMWs of today :-)