Sign in to follow this  
Grant

Mid 90's 740i(L)'s

Hi Guys

I am looking around for a second car over here, and my searching has shown one thing, the bargain of the century seems to be 740's. They are for sale everywhere.

A mid 90's one, with moderate miles on the clock, and in pretty good condition can be had for anything, between US$2,500 to US$4,000.

Anything I should know about them that warrants them being so cheap (Certainly not the cost of gas!!)

I have quickly learned that when using the freeways here having plenty of power is a big plus. Also while a 7'er may seem a big car in NZ, they are just an average sized car here.

Cheers

Grant

Go post 96 and get the 4.4 engine. Im not sure if the US had any trouble with the nikasil linings but the 4.4 is certainly worth the extra. Check out www.e38.org for all you need to know. The basics are the suspension (they are big and heavy cars after all), various gaskets etc, just the usual. Oh and the electrics....make sure you try everything.

The US dealers are an awful lot more helpful than over here (and prices are much cheaper) so most people tended to use them for any work but also bought genuine parts for mechanical repairs or cosmetic upgrades.

Get any prospective purchase checked out and enjoy it. The motorways over there would be perfect for it. Try and find an imola red 740 sport if you can :)

It would be prudent to say...get it checked out by a BMW dealer there

Cooling system

Electronics

Gearbox

Suspension

Oil leaks

Like all BMW's they suffer from neglect & abuse

Good luck with the hunt

Guest Simon*

Go post 96 and get the 4.4 engine. Im not sure if the US had any trouble with the nikasil linings but the 4.4 is certainly worth the extra. Check out www.e38.org for all you need to know.

There were definitely problems with the Nikasil linings in the US. Read up on the M60 in the US forums, although if they're still on the road now chances are (for God's sake don't take this as gospel) that they're ok. Service histories should show if they went through BMW's costly replacement programme.

Sounds like awesome buying though - good luck!

Hi Guys

I am looking around for a second car over here, and my searching has shown one thing, the bargain of the century seems to be 740's. They are for sale everywhere.

A mid 90's one, with moderate miles on the clock, and in pretty good condition can be had for anything, between US$2,500 to US$4,000.

They are the same price here!