Sign in to follow this  
sjanett

Window Surounds

Hey has anyone had any problems like these?

The black window surround is peeling (Top left side of car only), i would guess that the sun has had something to do with it.

does any one have an idea on how i would repair something like this, or where i could get a replacement surround?

Posted Image

Also the rubbers in the rear corners have dried out and are staring to crumble away.

How hard is it to replace them?

Posted Image

Surrounds are a fairly common problem. Either but secondhand ones, or sand and paint your old ones. You should remove them from the car first to do a proper job and save you masking out, and you can do the rubbers at the same time. You can buy secondhand rubbers, but they may not fit well. New ones are possibly expensive but you may be surprised - check the dealer.

PS - removing the surrounds is fairly tricky - just be patient and try not to bend them.

Edited by bravo

i have some resonable condition ones on a parts car . in papakura /drury

post-279-1233295910_thumb.jpg

post-279-1233296071_thumb.jpg

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

I replaced the rubber on the rear corners not long ago on my old car. It was $43 each side from the dealer. It was a very simple replacement and made it look so much nicer! The old ones actually crumbled apart when I pulled them off.

To do it I actually removed the rear windows from the car, then the rubber is really easy to reach and you can just pull it off. Also makes it heaps easier to put the new rubber on.

To remove the window:

1) pull off the C-pillar trim (this just unclips) and remove window latch screws

2) Remove the B-pillar trim. To do that you first gotta remove the seat belt from the B-pillar: Undo the bolt holding the seat belt onto the B-pillar. This is just under a small piece of trim where the seatbelt anchor swivels.Then pull off the the knob thingy that lets the seat belt anchor slide up and down. Then you can remove the plastic trim (you might need to pull away the door and window rubber trim). Then unbolt the seat belt sliding anchor from the b-pillar.

3) You'll then be able to see where the rear window bolts in and you'll be able to remove it. Make sure you're holding onto the window when you remove it though, obviously, 'cause you don't want to drop it. Also keep an eye on the window latch that it doesn't scratch right down on your paint if the window starts pivoting around or something.

Then pull off the old rubber and slot on the new one in its place. Just pay attention to how the old one is attached in relation to the other rubber trim around the windows. Saves having to do any guesswork when you put the new one on.

Put the window back on in reverse order to above.

Hope that's all easy enough to follow!