Sign in to follow this  
Andre3000

M20 intake manifold

I was inspired to get to work on the performance intake side of my e30, and i've done a little searching but cant really find anything apart from ireland engineering's shitty honed manifolds. Can anyone shed any light on it?

You could build a custom intake manifold with individual throttle bodies and a massive plenum… You’ll need a aftermarket ECU so maybe do the cam at the same time..

Maybe just give your manifold and throttle body a hone.

Like camb said, what are the goals/budget.......costs a lot of money for small gains on an N/A engine......basics are bore out throttle body, fit a set of Waynes stainless equal length headers + rolling road remap or piggyback, or just change the diff ratio for quicker accel.

fit a set of Waynes stainless equal length headers + rolling road remap or piggyback

That's possibly the first thing I would do if I were looking for more power. Those headers and a remap have been dyno proven at 10hp+ throughout the rev range!

They do make a notable difference, mine revs a lot better now! Thanks Wayne!!!

What is the goal/budget?

Long term goal is a engine rebuild along with increasing displacement to 2.8 or greater, also a manifold overhaul, MAF, bored throttle body, and cold airbox, plus a set of wayne's headers. No budget really, as i will be completing the mods as funds/time progress

Thanks Graham, was pleasure working with you, your touring is a nice car.

Have dynoed headers on bog stock 200km 325 with skinny single exhaust and got 11 RWHP, would be more with re-mapp.

The reason I asked was because as noted above, anything radical requires ditching the manifold/AFM altogether and using an aftermarket ECU.

Short of that, I would just tidy it up on the inside (ie check its port matched etc), and paint it a pretty colour. By all accounts they are well matched to the other characteristics of the engine (size/camshaft etc).

He's right, the intake manifold is not at all the restricting part. And the 325i head is one of the best non-race spec flowing 2valve heads out there. Getting rid of the air flow meter (aka, link ecu, great support here in Nz, and the new G4 is something else) equal lenght tuned exhaust manifold, skim the block half a mil and stroke it to 2.8 and you'll have 210 horse minimum.

if anyone is interested ive made my own intake using nissan gtr throttle bodies to go with the turbo setup

nissan gtr throttle bodies and custom made trumpets,stock bottom of m20 manifold and stock fuel rail.

Edited by crunchy

<Paris Hilton voice> That is so hot. </PHv>

I seriously have to learn to weld. Properly. Screw the office job.

So it obviously then has a plenum around it. Mint.

<Paris Hilton voice> That is so hot. </PHv>

I seriously have to learn to weld. Properly. Screw the office job.

So it obviously then has a plenum around it. Mint.

theres alot more to come and things dont have to cost a fortune,it run the map ecu with stock ecu which means of you dont want to run a airbox then just run 6x filters

im alos looking at running the injectors before the trumpets

theres alot more to come and things dont have to cost a fortune,it run the map ecu with stock ecu which means of you dont want to run a airbox then just run 6x filters

im alos looking at running the injectors before the trumpets

Was just thinking with a turbo you might want to put a plenum around it ;)

I am confident you already know that.

That's nice crunchy. The response with that on would be delicious

That's nice crunchy. The response with that on would be delicious

cheers theres also a very large hair dryer blowing through them,which should help

Mmm yes, the M20 responds to boost perfectly. I'm currently budgeting out a build for my car. Just a boring standard intake Mani though haha. Good luck oi