Sign in to follow this  
3 SERIES

Digital SLR Advice

Ask them to let you take the same pics with both lenses - the 17-85 certainly is a much better constructed lens, but I have tried both the 18-55 and 17-85 on my 20D and to be honest I could hardly tell the difference!

There is a lot of 'gear snobbery' in the photo game, everybody loves to bag the kit lens!

The 17-85 is image stablised though, which is a bonus - although I think the newest 18-55 are too??

My Canon pricelist has the 40D kitted with the 17-85, so if they are selling the 18-55, they must be buying separatley?

Sorry to muddy the waters!!

No, when the EOS40D there was multiple lens kit sets available.

Ask them to let you take the same pics with both lenses - the 17-85 certainly is a much better constructed lens, but I have tried both the 18-55 and 17-85 on my 20D and to be honest I could hardly tell the difference!

There is a lot of 'gear snobbery' in the photo game, everybody loves to bag the kit lens!

The 17-85 is image stablised though, which is a bonus - although I think the newest 18-55 are too??

My Canon pricelist has the 40D kitted with the 17-85, so if they are selling the 18-55, they must be buying separatley?

Sorry to muddy the waters!!

This kind of info is fantastic. Its good to know that you hardly noticed a difference between the quality of the picture between the 18-55 & 17-85, apart from the wider angle and bigger zoom I assume.

To be honest, im a noob and will probably not notice anything with regards to picture quality.

Even at wholesale it's getting close to $2k just for a body, was just curios anyway to see if it would have been of interest.

I'll see if i can still get the EOS40D with single and dual lens kit. Let you know when i get a response.

That would be fantastic!

No, when the EOS40D there was multiple lens kit sets available.

There are many options with this camera and various kit lenses.

Yeah, pretty much.

The Sony live view gives you a very accurate representation of what your shot is going to look like before you take it - the Canon doesn't. The Canon can still be used in live view mode, but it doesn't take into account any of your settings for the preview.

The Sony Alpha range is just like the other guy said - lots of presets like a point-and-click. But, you can run it exactly like the Canons in shutter, aperture priority modes - and full manual if you want to.

Tisk tisk, misinformation spreader. The Canon does show on live view what the exposure will come out as, also it has a depth of field button and 2 kinds of auto focus in live view - slow and accuarate or fast and not so accurate.

Hey,

Im just looking for a digital SLR on Trademe to use for Photography at school this year..

.. Is this worth it for what they're asking or is there something better in that price range?

Link

Hey,

Im just looking for a digital SLR on Trademe to use for Photography at school this year..

.. Is this worth it for what they're asking or is there something better in that price range?

Link

You would be better off getting one where you can change the lenses if need be. It will last you a lot longer and you wont be limited to one like you have shown, especially when you get the hang of things and want to develop your photography skills.

Your budget is tight but if youre quick you could try getting the guy to do a buy now on this one for $350 :) Got to be cheaky sometimes :)

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics-photo...n-202628573.htm

Hey,

Link

That is NOT an SLR

It is an SLR Styled compact or what they call a 'Bridge' camera

Fine camera in its own right, but not an SLR

Hah I thought that might be one of those,

Annoys me how everyone put non-SLRs in the Digital SLR catagory when they should be in Point & Shoot.

Gaah. I guess it'll be worth it spending a bit more money on a good one.

Thanks for the replies.

Edited by skrillz

Hah I thought that might be one of those,

Annoys me how everyone put non-SLRs in the Digital SLR catagory when they should be in Point & Shoot.

Gaah. I guess it'll be worth it spending a bit more money on a good one.

Thanks for the replies.

Tell me about it!

That one I gave a link to was $350 about an hour ago.....now he's lifted it to $450!

Must have thought it was worth a bit more

That one I gave a link to was $350 about an hour ago.....now he's lifted it to $450!

So i'd be crazy for buying it for $550?

So i'd be crazy for buying it for $550?

IMO I reckon its good buying. Camera body, 2 lenses and by the sounds of it a memory card is all you need. I bet that if someone bids the $450 start price, by the time the auction closes it will be higher than the $550 buy now.

Just my opinion thou. One of the gurus may have a better idea. Far better buying than the Panasonic one you suggested earlier.