Sign in to follow this  
3 SERIES

Digital SLR Advice

Aliluya, Id be keen to see some pics you've taken with the 40D. I think im heading that way...

In New Zealand, Canon is king for some reason. Probably to do with the fact that Canon has a dedicated marketing department for their cameras here and all other brands only have a distributor presenence.

My personal favourite are from the Nikon range but the truth is you can't really go wrong by picking any camera here. Your skill and passion makes up for most of the end results anyway. My wife and I had a D50 then "upgraded" (depends how you look at it) to a D40. Didn't miss the D50 much, we use the new D40 much more often because it's so small and light. We take it almost everywhere. The point is, you buy a camera and all the kit, but many people doesn't take it with them because it's too bulky. So, make sure you are comfortable with lugging the thing around all day.

Live View on SLR is silly, focus is slow and shutter respond is slow. It lost of whole point of an SLR where you want fast and precise. I have to say though, SONY LiveView is the better one amongst the SLRs, but still a lot of room for improvement.

Second-hand favourites:

Canon 30D, 40D, 400D, 17-85 IS, 50 f/1.4, 70-300 IS

Nikon D80, D200, 16-85VR or 18-200VR, 50 f/1.8

Brand new favourites:

Canon 450D

Nikon D90

Excuse my ignorance, but what is live view? I'm guessing that means the little LCD window becomes your view finder?

In New Zealand, Canon is king for some reason. Probably to do with the fact that Canon has a dedicated marketing department for their cameras here and all other brands only have a distributor presenence.

My personal favourite are from the Nikon range but the truth is you can't really go wrong by picking any camera here. Your skill and passion makes up for most of the end results anyway. My wife and I had a D50 then "upgraded" (depends how you look at it) to a D40. Didn't miss the D50 much, we use the new D40 much more often because it's so small and light. We take it almost everywhere. The point is, you buy a camera and all the kit, but many people doesn't take it with them because it's too bulky. So, make sure you are comfortable with lugging the thing around all day.

Live View on SLR is silly, focus is slow and shutter respond is slow. It lost of whole point of an SLR where you want fast and precise. I have to say though, SONY LiveView is the better one amongst the SLRs, but still a lot of room for improvement.

Second-hand favourites:

Canon 30D, 40D, 400D, 17-85 IS, 50 f/1.4, 70-300 IS

Nikon D80, D200, 16-85VR or 18-200VR, 50 f/1.8

Brand new favourites:

Canon 450D

Nikon D90

Yes i think that Canon is King in New Zealand because it is one that is well distributed while the other brands are generally retail only.

Your second part is very true, its the passion that is the main point.

And yeah, my wife always laughs at me lugghing my kit around when we travel etc, lol. I have a dedicated backpack for all that jazz, and then the extra change of clothes for the kids some times get shoved into the bag cause its so big. LOL!

Live view on the Canon 40D only works when you have it on manual mode, and i never ever use it, it defects the purpose of my getting a DSLR.

Also i stand corrected, the two that i was choosing from was the 400D and the 40D.

Actually if you do a search you will find an old thread of someone else that asked basically the same question about DSLRs

Live view is when you can turn on the LCD screen on the back of the camera and be able to see the "preview" instead of looking though the viewfinder.

I'll try and have a hunt of some of the photo's i've taken.

Aliluya, Id be keen to see some pics you've taken with the 40D. I think im heading that way...

What sort of photo's do you want to see? Most of mine are of either people of animals. I haven't got many 'artistic' photos as i'm not that creative hahahaha :D

Here are a few. First one cracks me up everytime i see it, my daughter and my brother in-law

post-156-1234176418_thumb.jpg

post-156-1234176458_thumb.jpg

post-156-1234176478_thumb.jpg

Thanks aliluya, good to see what kind of photos the 40D can take. The first ones a hard case.

Tell me.....how do "I" get hold of wholesale gear? :)

Excuse my ignorance, but what is live view? I'm guessing that means the little LCD window becomes your view finder?

Yeah, pretty much.

The Sony live view gives you a very accurate representation of what your shot is going to look like before you take it - the Canon doesn't. The Canon can still be used in live view mode, but it doesn't take into account any of your settings for the preview.

The Sony Alpha range is just like the other guy said - lots of presets like a point-and-click. But, you can run it exactly like the Canons in shutter, aperture priority modes - and full manual if you want to.

Thanks.

Im starting to think that the live view is a bit of a waste of time really. Not really something that should sway my decision.

Its all about the end result really.

400D/450D v's 40D -- To put this in car perspective, think of the 400/450 as a Three series, and the 40D as a Five series !!

Both fine bits of kit, but one is built to be the 'everymans' car/camera and one is for more serious drivers/shooters!

There is a vast difference in the build quality of the 400/450 and the 40D range ( I am a camera repairer! ) You can hear' the difference if you shoot with both.

Canon SLR Gear basically the smaller the number, the high up the 'pecking order' So the top is EOS 1, next range two digits ( 10D, 20D, 30D, 40DF, 50D ) Next range 3 digits ( 300,350,.400,450 ) bottom rung is the EOS1000D. You get it eh!

But ..... you are unlikely to wear out a 450D with casual use, so if the cost difference is high, put the extra money into lenses - this is where you will see the most difference in picture quality - but iof you can get a 40D for $200 more - GRAB IT NOW!!

Live View -- I am baised here and think that it is a GIMICK to get Girls to buy DSLR's !! Cause they are used to holding their compact cameras at arms length, but all good photographers know that it is better to hold the camera to your eye to brace it against camera shake!

Cheers Camera Doctor! Youre clearly up with the play I see :)

It sounds like youre pushing the 40D which is where im heading. Do you think I should buy it with the standard 18-55mm kit lens or should I just purchase the body and look for better lens? Remember im a noob so only really know the basics at present but am willing to put the time and effort in to learn.

Is there anything in the Nikon range that would give the 40D a run for its money, remembering its $1500 for the body alone.

Thanks aliluya, good to see what kind of photos the 40D can take. The first ones a hard case.

Tell me.....how do "I" get hold of wholesale gear? :)

To be honest, the 40D isn't in the wholesale channel anymore, its getting replaced by the EOS50D (i beleive). Thats the perks of having a Computer Wholesale store, i get stuff cheaply.

But if you dont mind getting parrallel import stuff then try parallelimported.co.nz, sometimes cheaper than Canon direct.

Cheers Camera Doctor! Youre clearly up with the play I see :)

It sounds like youre pushing the 40D which is where im heading. Do you think I should buy it with the standard 18-55mm kit lens or should I just purchase the body and look for better lens? Remember im a noob so only really know the basics at present but am willing to put the time and effort in to learn.

Is there anything in the Nikon range that would give the 40D a run for its money, remembering its $1500 for the body alone.

I would suggest just start out with the kit and see how you go, when you start getting better and more creative etc then you can start looking at other lenses as you require.

I would suggest just start out with the kit and see how you go, when you start getting better and more creative etc then you can start looking at other lenses as you require.

I agree.

Oh also there should be one kit with two lenses in it. the 17-85mm IS and 70-300mm IS

always remember this comment.

You want to take photos like that other guy, its one of three things. Lighting, Lens choice, post production.

There are many things you can use to influence these factors. Lenses are a major part of it. next is lighting, then finally post production.

If you cant get the first two right .. the output is going to be sh*t.

* over exposing photos is the first big no no. If its cooked before you even get it into PS then there is no saving it.

Find your lightest point in the view finder (zebra stripping is a good aid for this) and look at your darkest point. Are they how you want the photo to look? if so, check focus and click.

Did your manual settings cause the pic to be too dark .. or too light ? -> re-adjust.

The most even the photo the better your histogram will be and the more colour information you have to play with.

Cheers Hybrid, very useful info.

Well, went into the camera shop today. Found out prices are pretty much going to go up about 35% as of the 1st of march so have to get cracking!

Think ive made my decision up. Looking at going for the Canon 40D over the 450D & D80. Probably a bit more advanced for a beginner but for $200 more its pretty much a no brainer.

My next headache is now what is a good all round lens to get? Not keen on anything with a big ass zoom as I dont think its going to develop my skills.

I can get a standard 18-55mm kit lens fairly cheap but it probably defeats the purpose of have a camera such as the 40D? Been reading many forums where people have said a fixed 50mm f1.4 or 1.8 seems to be good for a beginners to learn with and seems to come up with the goods.

Appreciate everyones input. Its been very useful in making a decision.

Please correct me if any of my thoughs are off or on par :)

Cheers Hybrid, very useful info.

Well, went into the camera shop today. Found out prices are pretty much going to go up about 35% as of the 1st of march so have to get cracking!

Think ive made my decision up. Looking at going for the Canon 40D over the 450D & D80. Probably a bit more advanced for a beginner but for $200 more its pretty much a no brainer.

My next headache is now what is a good all round lens to get? Not keen on anything with a big ass zoom as I dont think its going to develop my skills.

I can get a standard 18-55mm kit lens fairly cheap but it probably defeats the purpose of have a camera such as the 40D? Been reading many forums where people have said a fixed 50mm f1.4 or 1.8 seems to be good for a beginners to learn with and seems to come up with the goods.

Appreciate everyones input. Its been very useful in making a decision.

Please correct me if any of my thoughs are off or on par :)

At this stage since you are probably only have one lense i wouldn't recommend getting a 50mm fixed lense as your would be too restricted.

Just to throw a spanner in the works, do you want consider the EOS50D? stock is actually available now in NZ.

At this stage since you are probably only have one lense i wouldn't recommend getting a 50mm fixed lense as your would be too restricted.

Just to throw a spanner in the works, do you want consider the EOS50D? stock is actually available now in NZ.

I would love the 50D but its a little bit out of my price range.

I would love the 50D but its a little bit out of my price range.

I think he might be offering to help you with a wholesale deal... ask him

Canon all round lens would be the 17-85 IS or the new 18-200 IS.

If you happens to go by Newmarket, check out eTown (160 Broadway, next to Samsung store).

Friendly bunch (and I used to work there).

By the way, few good websites for reviews and comments...

www.dpreview.com

www.kenrockwell.com

Edited by my_e36

I think he might be offering to help you with a wholesale deal... ask him

hmmmmmm, you think?

Canon all round lens would be the 17-85 IS or the new 18-200 IS.

If you happens to go by Newmarket, check out eTown (160 Broadway, next to Samsung store).

Friendly bunch (and I used to work there).

When I was in the store yesterday the guy said the standard 18-55mm kit lens is a bit mean on the 40D.

He suggested the 17-85 IS as a good alround lens for it and to start off with. Its around the $1k mark so really want to make sure its the right one to get.

Im pleased you mentioned it as its making my decision a little easier.

When I was in the store yesterday the guy said the standard 18-55mm kit lens is a bit mean on the 40D.

He suggested the 17-85 IS as a good alround lens for it and to start off with. Its around the $1k mark so really want to make sure its the right one to get.

Im pleased you mentioned it as its making my decision a little easier.

Ask them to let you take the same pics with both lenses - the 17-85 certainly is a much better constructed lens, but I have tried both the 18-55 and 17-85 on my 20D and to be honest I could hardly tell the difference!

There is a lot of 'gear snobbery' in the photo game, everybody loves to bag the kit lens!

The 17-85 is image stablised though, which is a bonus - although I think the newest 18-55 are too??

My Canon pricelist has the 40D kitted with the 17-85, so if they are selling the 18-55, they must be buying separatley?

Sorry to muddy the waters!!

hmmmmmm, you think?

Even at wholesale it's getting close to $2k just for a body, was just curios anyway to see if it would have been of interest.

I'll see if i can still get the EOS40D with single and dual lens kit. Let you know when i get a response.