Sign in to follow this  
laadeelaa

Being a poor University student.

Nice cars at uni here get stolen.

I remember studying and working part time at Countdown on top of my student allowance. They did ping me a year afterwards though because over the Christmas holidays I worked more than 20 hours a week and had to pay study link $600 back.

The way I got my weekly student allowance monies was to say I was estranged from my Pa. Because Ma earned under the threshold, but Pa earned well over, nulling my chances at an allowance. And he never gave me money anyway so Ma and I sorted me an allowance to support me while I was studying. And at the times, yes I drove a Toyota corona, and drank Double Brown (Which I still do today).

There's 2 types of allowances. One you have to pay back, and one you don't have to pay back. The one you dont have to pay back is hard to get and I can pretty much guarantee you wont get it girl unless you pull a few porkies. You can opt for a Living allowance which you do have to pay the government back though, but you will definitely qualify for.

Congrats on getting all the study sorted so fast though.

Here's a recipe:

1) Cut out majority of social ties, till you're left with something like two friends and/or a girlfriend.

2) Alternate your time between uni and work, that way you won't have spare time to waste money - not only will this save you money, but your marks will also go through the roof.

3) Don't settle for a minimum wage job. It's very possible to get paid $20 P/h. Now if you're doing 20 hrs p/w, 20x20 = 400.

4) Get the student loan $155 repayments - that's $555.

5) Scholarship, or try and squeeze some money out of your old by convincing them you're a worthy investment and the ROI is very high.

I am currently starting my third year of uni, got a good 5-6 to go. I currently have a 02 525i, got a large share in the ES300 and about to upgrade the 525i to a 03 735i along with all the other crap, i.e. new cellphone, ipod etc.

So it's simply a plain choice, you want to indulge in the uni lifestyle or you wanna come out with cash.

Mind you - I never really saw it worthy getting the $155 so I just skipped that step and got a minor job on weekends to compensate.

[Edit] Oh and I usually try and work full time between December - March.

Edited by Avenged.SSE

i know this isn't going to go down well, but sell the car. why go into debt when you've got a fairly valuable asset (that will only lose you money) right in front of you. You wont need it if your living in town.

Over my dead body.

or save yourself heaps of expense and hassle and change schools.

If I changed schools it'll be to private schools, which cost 3-5k a year.

So yeah, uni is cheaper that way.

move in with your b'friend and get him to look after/chauffeur you round while you study & work part-time. Also get him to pick up the bill for the dinning out nights, oh and maybe get him to research the course your doing and find out all relevant info and resources. If he loved you he would... :ph34r:

:huh: Oh my god. You sound like everybody else.

He wouldn't do that for me. Lol.

:huh: Oh my god. You sound like everybody else.

He wouldn't do that for me. Lol.

Just wondering..if we sound like everybody else...maybe everyone is right :unsure:

As for the BF.... a change could be in order..maybe ??

Alright kids.

I applied for the study link allowance and loan.

I'll keep my car (whoever suggested that, does not realise, actually doesn't...how crazy that is).

I'll scab off my parents (even if they pay for my petrol).

And eat celery and hummus for the next 12 weeks. (Slimming!!)

I have no control over my money, I've always been able to pull myself out of stupid fanancial situations and decisions, like buying a velvet dress for $300 to wear on a special date, then sitting down and spliting the seams down my ass.

Or just buying a gps. Cos I don't believe in maps. Waste of my time, i'd rather be told by a computer.

Keep in mind I'm a 17 year old girl. I'm thick and a bit clumsy. I aim to marry a rich guy with lots of money. Not my fault my mother brought me up as a gold gigger. :(

I'll pull through it. My brother and sister in law lives up the road. I'll rob them of their food, internet and spa pool use.

I don't think it'll be worth getting a job. Cos it's only for 12 weeks. I have a few hook ups. And clients. Jokes.

But yeah...if anyones keen, I don't charge...too much....JOKES.

Just wondering..if we sound like everybody else...maybe everyone is right :unsure:

As for the BF.... a change could be in order..maybe ??

Glenn, I'm sorry. I don't go for married men. :P

If you don't want to be a poor student, work your ass off...plain and simple, worked for me...and a lot of others by the sounds of it.

My parents couldn't afford to support me, and unfortunately they earn above the stupid threshold given by studylink.

In my opinion this f*cks over the middle class. People below the threshold get assistance, and those who earn heaps can probably afford to help their kids study.

Find a job, buy a frugal corolla (worked for me! :)) and reduce expenses.

Edited by Creaver

Guest Simon*

If you're keeping the car why not just sell the hideous wheels? Should get a bit of coin for them and it's a win-win situation as the older you get the more taste you'll hopefully develop and you wouldn't want chromies by the time you finish anyway

Just a thought :)

Good thread, I'm about to start a BE Hons after 4 years of being out of 7th form and working full time for most of that in 2 different countries. Going to be a hell of a shock getting 200 or so a week... Lucky working in Australia has earned me a fair bit of cash, and I'm expecting a 5 figure tax return very soon. With that I will be paying my course fees through most of these 4/5 years. A wise move if I don't say so myself.

If you're keeping the car why not just sell the hideous wheels? Should get a bit of coin for them and it's a win-win situation as the older you get the more taste you'll hopefully develop and you wouldn't want chromies by the time you finish anyway

Just a thought :)

No one asked. I'd much rather people see my car with chrome 20's and know straight away it's my car, not my dad's car on standard alloys.

My opinion varies from yours. I like chrome wheels. You don't.

I'm not selling them. Kapeesh.

just try and get the 150 student allowance per week and do cash jobs, if your a scrooge and can budget and save you should be fine, i managed to live off it for 3years and get my first bma and do it up.. plus getting on the piss every weekend chur

Glenn, I'm sorry. I don't go for married men. :P

Crikey... I didnt mean me :wacko:

I'm a little confused, you've asked for our help and advice etc, but don't seem to really want to listen.....

haha yeah if i can survive on 150 a week, i cant imagine getting 600 a week that sh*t be crazy

Keep in mind I'm a 17 year old girl. I'm thick and a bit clumsy. I aim to marry a rich guy with lots of money. Not my fault my mother brought me up as a gold gigger. :(

I can think of a job that normally involves dinners out for free and payment for the service is normally made in cash.. :ph34r:

Seems more and more logical as this very entertaining thread goes on..

i did two courses and hoped out of both decided studying wasnt for me (straight out of school )

had good looking cars that came easy from parents etc so i was spoiled but now kinda wish i hadnt been

decided to ge a job

now in the freighting industry (freight forwarding) .. looking at doing etc papers and having a lil extra job on the side to..dont really want a be a average joe but i guess what you put in you get out

too suport my car/ clothes etc .. i live at home also no rent / board etc but have cut down on drinking and social saves me a little extra

i think this is a good thread to just give me abit of a wake up call since im still young

btw anyone in the freight industry ?

btw anyone in the freight industry ?

I used to be, what can you do about a container from the UK for those of us who want to get a whole load of parts out here ;)

I'm a little confused, you've asked for our help and advice etc, but don't seem to really want to listen.....

Correct. It's purely asking for advice. It's not like I'm going to listen to half of it.

Just was interested to see what people have to say.

Come to the reality.

I'm 17. I own a newish flashy BMW

Do you really think I'd wanna sell it??

No way. I have enough clothes. I don't need to buy any more.

I'm lucky enough to have the support of my parents. But I won't be living with them.

Others mistakes can be learned from. Just keep in mind. I'm not a big drinker. I don't own a race car.

Alright kids.

I hope that comment was a joke because if that's the mentality you are going in with... I worry you will fit the phrase "20K, 4 years at uni and all I have to show for it is this T Shirt"

I am curious why do you want to go to uni in the first place?

if i had the head on my shoulders 3 years ago when i left school i would have progressed abit more

i was very spoiled from a young age and never had to save for anything now its catching up so now heres me trying to save etc HARD IT IS!.

I need some good advise from people with similar interests just like this :)