Sign in to follow this  
Apex

Navigation advice

I have been missing the GPS our E60 had ever since selling it and am growing tired of the time wasted and arguments with the misses whilst out about looking for places.

I don’t need Bluetooth or an FM transmitter as our cars already have MP3 and Bluetooth built in.

I would like a unit that can be used overseas as we like to travel.

Must be easy to use and menus must be easy navigate.

Budget of around $600.00

I have searched the net and found a few but it is first hand experience that I find most valuable.

Any recommendations or experiences with various products greatly appreciated.

I have used TomTom and NAVMAN, and the navman is far far superior in terms of usability.

Also bear in mind that you can use most bigger brands of gps overseas but you do need to buy new maps to do that. BUT buying new maps cost a sh*t load of money. Sometimes it's cheaper just to get another unit in the local market.

I was looking too...Repco have the Navman S100 on special at the moment...$395.oo

Have a look at the specs here:

http://www.navman.com/in-car/europe/uk/Pro...v-Devices/S100/

Or Here:

http://www.cnet.com.au/cartech/gps/0,20004...39292450,00.htm

Edited by *Glenn*

I have been missing the GPS our E60 had ever since selling it and am growing tired of the time wasted and arguments with the misses whilst out about looking for places.

You have the dual airbag on the passengers side too Graham... someone should make a switch to turn it off :P

You have the dual airbag on the passengers side too Graham... someone should make a switch to turn it off :P

[sharp intake of breath][/sharp intake of breath]

I have heard good things about both TomTom and Navman. Even the Navman reps agree TomTom is very good.

I have personally used Navman Marine GPS on boats as well as many other marine GPS units. Navman would be my choice for useability and clarity of maps for recreational use at least in the marine environment. (Obviously some commercial boats have requirements the recreational units don't deliver).

Sorry, no experience with in-car units, sorry.

Navman, I have the S35 Model and its great.

Doesn't have HAPS of features but you don't seem to need them.

Have both Aussie and Nz maps on mine

I use Garmin, free maps from NZ opensource - updated daily. Worldwide maps also available.

I suppose there's better units out there, but Garmin seems to be the only one truly happy to run whatever maps are available.

I have a Garmin Nuvi 765T in the US. It was damned expensive, but worth every cent.

I did a lot of research before buying my GPS unit, because as you can imagine driving in the US is a little more daunting than it is in NZ. I got the 765T because it has lane assist (which has saved my bacon a few times in San Francisco). It also has lifetime traffic, so lets me know when there are delays, and then will re-route me around them. Also I use the "points on interest" function to find things like the nearest gas station, coffee shop, restaurant etc when I need them.

Also in California, it is illegal to use your cellphone while driving (unless it is handsfree). The 765 has bluetooth, and connects to my iPhone so I can use it hands free in the car.

Another cool feature is the custom routing, you put in a heap of destinations and it sorts them into the most efficient route, which was very handy to me when looking at places to live.

Garmin is always ranked the top of the heap in the US Consumer Reports magazine.

In saying that though, Garmin do put out some cheap units, that will probably do the trick for simple directions, but without any additional functionality.

The one thing that did annoy me is that the 2009 maps for the US have just come out, and they are not a free download, Garmin want US$69 to download them (which I am not worried about as the 2008 version has been accurate so far).

Cheers

Grant

It also has lifetime traffic, so lets me know when there are delays, and then will re-route me around them.

I have used this function in a BMW factory unit in Germany and it is absolutely brilliant. An absolute lifesaver if you can get an aftermarket version with it. Not sure if it works in NZ though - and not just because we don't have that many routes to get around the traffic (I think it works on the RDS radio network for updates apart from the obvious needing to know where the traffic jams are in the first place!).

Jochen must know a thing or two about this stuff?