Sign in to follow this  
No name user

e36 instrument cluster not working

OK dumb question time here and i know the e36 has problems with the dash but i thought i would describe my issue.

first off it started with the dash gauges not working now and then and progressively got worse,but now and then come on.

car drives good.

checked all the usual stuff but Na not a thing that jumped out at you,got another gauge and put it in and ye ho we have gauges.

well for a short time as they to have dropped away except for the speedo,now i did the test of holding in the trip meter then key on to test the gauges and they all work fine!!

is there anything that runs this part that I'm over looking?

any suggestions would be fantastic,

cheers Steve

i ahev replacement clusters if needed./

what model /year and millage is it .

cheers brent

i ahev replacement clusters if needed./

what model /year and millage is it .

cheers brent

cheers Brent, but the unit i put in was working fine in the car it came out of,it also only had 60k on it and mine had done 160k.

there must be something someone has come across like this before, i read about the SI batteries giving problems is this a possability? but for both units to need them?

don't know just chucking ideas around

When this happens, does your radio and heater stop working too ?? If so, it could be your ignition switch that is faulty

When this happens, does your radio and heater stop working too ?? If so, it could be your ignition switch that is faulty

i was thinking that not cause the others werent woking cause they are but, when you turn the key on and off a whole bunch of times they come up.

im glad my turbo 5 series is alot easier to deal with ,lol

I have the same issue. Every now and then it would come back on fine.

Have a look over this, see if it helps.

Instrument cluster repair

thanks for that i have saved that on before, im going to also have a go at replacing the batteries which i guess are somewhere in the too,lol