Sign in to follow this  
jimbo01

Victoria Fires

I'm in Melbourne working this week and am sickened by the the death and distruction from the fire's here. The News Papers are full of images and stories that are just horrible. Can't imagine a worse way to go. Apparently some were started delibrately. Some crimes are just too bad for life sentances to be an adequate punishment or deterent. Those responsible should be removed from society, a one way trip in a coffin to a crematorium, alive seems fair too me.

Mhmm pretty bad. Apparently a lot of ex rural firefighters go all nuts and deliberately start fires.

They had some over in Perth not long ago, it was buzzy as to be driving along and see the vegetation burning that seperates the 2 sides of a main road.

where is the appeal in lighting fires?

its a shame that all these people are dead, even tho they are Australian.

i think the worst thing is that its come at a time when people are probably going to find it harder to get back on there own 2 feet due the global economic downturn

:(

Its exactly as Kevin Rudd said, "Its mass murder".

Who gets off on starting bush fires that kill nearly 100 people and destroy their homes and towns? Maybe if someone set fire to their own houses, they might get an idea of whats going on.

There was a docco not so long ago about a serial firestarter in NSW or somewhere. The guy was a total nut case sicko. Was a fireman. Lit the fires, called them in, then helped put them out. Killed a few people along the way and went to jail, but the docco implicated that he was out lighting them again after he had been released as he had suspiciously been in the area of some new fires with no good explanation of why.

Edited by bravo

They seem to be pretty terrible. They are even making headline news over here (quite possibly the only international news that actually gets mentioned).

Cheers

Grant

Its exactly as Kevin Rudd said, "Its mass murder".

Who gets off on starting bush fires that kill nearly 100 people and destroy their homes and towns? Maybe if someone set fire to their own houses, they might get an idea of whats going on.

Nearly 100? Try Nearly 200 atm, possibly going to end up around 300 soon.

I'm not sure if there is a worse way to go than that. Buried alive may be up there, but that sh*t is horrific.

I simply cannot understand why someone would so this. Probably hung around to watch the mayhem as well.

Nearly 100? Try Nearly 200 atm, possibly going to end up around 300 soon.

Last time I heard it was 100. 200 is a sh*t load of people.

There are some sick people in this world.

Its 183 total. 80 still missing. Up to 100 of those killed were from deliberately lit fires.

What really shits me is the people getting in their cars and driving up to the places to spectate and blocking the roads for emergency vehicles. What on earth is going through their minds?

imagine.....you are trapped in your little town.....you are trapped in your house maybe with your children....the fire is coming.God i got a bit freaked out when our chimney caught fire...

This really hits home for most kiwis. Some of the pictures floating around made me sick to the stomach, especially images of burnt out cars where the occupants were trying to flee, but either crash into other cars or toppled trees etc. Visibilty much have been next to nothing. It looks like a bloody war zone, wouldn't even want to think about what was going thru their minds at that point in time. Heres hoping they made it out ok.

this is going to sound really bad, but alot of the people that have died - it was their own fault...

The knew the fires where coming and had choosen to stay and not evacuate like most people. then they realise just how much crap they are in and flee...

It's the same with the people staying when hurracanes in the states come through...

The people starting fires are just dumb. Some times it's as simple as a cig thrown out the window...

I think you would be unpleasantly shocked at how many cig butts are being thrown out windows, dropped on the ground in parks (was at the lantern festival in albert park auck, and someone had dropped a butt that was smoldering a dry leaf it was sitting on), etc.. a few of the big fires in california have started that way...

Without wanting to sound callous, my view is that the attention given to 200 fire deaths in Australia is out of all proportion - 80,000+ people die in earthquakes in Iran/Pakistan, and it gets virtually nothing in the news. I am also certain more than 200 people die every day in Sudan, Congo, other parts of africa due to hunger, disease, etc.

While no doubt terrible, helps to keep things in perspective.

this is going to sound really bad, but alot of the people that have died - it was their own fault...

What a horrible thing to say. They may not have been educated about what to do in a situation like that. People may not be able to flee...eg. disability.

It's not their fault they're losing everything because of an arsonist.

Without wanting to sound callous, my view is that the attention given to 200 fire deaths in Australia is out of all proportion - 80,000+ people die in earthquakes in Iran/Pakistan, and it gets virtually nothing in the news. I am also certain more than 200 people die every day in Sudan, Congo, other parts of africa due to hunger, disease, etc.

Obviously we don't hear to much about earthquakes in Iran, as it's not our neighbouring country like Australia.

The fires are strewn through the media because it's new. For years and years we hear about the starvation and disease, therefore we become used to it.

thats true,but an earthquake is sudden......its not like you are trapped in your house with your family and you KNOW whats going to happen in the next few minutes

Obviously we don't hear to much about earthquakes in Iran, as it's not our neighbouring country like Australia.

The fires are strewn through the media because it's new. For years and years we hear about the starvation and disease, therefore we become used to it.

There is nothing new about bushfires in Australia, they have been occurring for millions of years. It is natures way of regenerating the bushland over there. What is new though is the little a##eholes who think it's funny to go around and set these fires. That's why they are talking about mass murder charges if the catch the little s##ts.

What a horrible thing to say. They may not have been educated about what to do in a situation like that. People may not be able to flee...eg. disability.

It's not their fault they're losing everything because of an arsonist.

I'm 99% certain they had the Fire Service and Civil Defence going through the streets and advising people that they should be leaving their properties. It should have also been broadcast over the local radio stations.

This disabled are generally assisted in times like this, it's should part of the civil defence program.

No it's not their fault the fire was started but if they choose to ignore the advice of profesional services - which happens a hell of a lot more than you would care to think during hurricane warnings.

Things like earthquakes, floods, tornados are all flash occurances and are had to prepare for.

The knew the fires where coming and had choosen to stay and not evacuate like most people. then they realise just how much crap they are in and flee...

That comment is unfair.

One story I saw in the local paper was where people saw the fire come over a hill 15k's away - and many decided to leave, and 10 minutes later theywere being burned alive in their cars. Thats a fire travelling over 100kph.

The other thing is they have ways of dealing with fires, and everyone should have a fire plan. The policy is to the leave early or stay and defend. This has worked with other fires but not this time. People that did everything right, has a fire plan, had removed the dead brush that builds up, had water supplies and petrol pumps going in case power failed, that normally would have survived, didn't. These fires were just do big and too fast.

Edited by jimbo

There is nothing new about bushfires in Australia, they have been occurring for millions of years. It is natures way of regenerating the bushland over there. What is new though is the little a##eholes who think it's funny to go around and set these fires. That's why they are talking about mass murder charges if the catch the little s##ts.

Thats right, it's a part of life all sorts of terrible things happen in the world and this is one of them, just think about how many people are murdered in the states every day... Its just a different occurence with the same outcome (death) This doesnt make it pleasant none the less in any case and no one innocent deserves to die but lets just say its one of those things that happens and nature/life has a way of keeping things in this ever so populated world at a certain level.

In saying so, im not one bit happy about our dear neighbours having to go through something as traumatic as this its horrible!

I'm 99% certain they had the Fire Service and Civil Defence going through the streets and advising people that they should be leaving their properties. It should have also been broadcast over the local radio stations.

This disabled are generally assisted in times like this, it's should part of the civil defence program.

No it's not their fault the fire was started but if they choose to ignore the advice of profesional services - which happens a hell of a lot more than you would care to think during hurricane warnings.

Things like earthquakes, floods, tornados are all flash occurances and are had to prepare for.

And im 99% sure i seen on the news also that people were warned and told to evacuate their homes. There would have a been a select few that couldnt have done so but people were warned. In some cases especially in the early stages of the fires it wouldnt have been so easy as the emergency services may not have learned of the fires started yet. Sometimes people pride and passion and love for their homes and possesions is enough to keep them back it would be a hard decision im sure but your right DRTDVL i know what decision I would make if it were a matter of life and death.

My 2c...

While no doubt terrible, helps to keep things in perspective.

I don't think anyones getting out of persepctive here - except you - you are on a topic started about the Victoria fires - what did you think people would be posting about? duh!

If someones murdered in NZ, and you don't know them, and it's not in your town, is it relevant to you?

If someones murdered in your town, getting more relevant?

If someoens murdered in your street, are you going to be talking about it?

A state of Australia has just hasd over a 100 people murdered by fire. A lot of Kiwis have holidays in Victoria, a lot of Kiwis live there. These are people who have friends and relatives here in NZ. Of couse it's going to get more attention - it's more relevant to NZ.

One story I saw in the local paper was where people saw the fire come over a hill 15k's away - and many decided to leave, and 10 minutes later theywere being burned alive in their cars. Thats a fire travelling over 100kph.

There have also been plenty of stories of people going back to their houses simply to get valuable possessions or pets. One bloke died trying to protect his boat and a woman died trying to save her horses.

Two sides to every story I suppose but if I was seeing that sort of devastation and lived in an area like that with the threat of bush fires every year, the moment I was told to get out Id be picking up my keys and telling the family that we were leaving in 30 seconds.

I wouldnt be hanging around for anything least of all a boat for gods sake.