Sign in to follow this  
*Glenn*

CCFL Angel Eyes....HELP !

We have just gone and fitted some Lumenux CCFL angel eye rings to the reflectors of a BS members car and I now have a problem.

The vehicle is a 94 E38 740I with check control

When the engine is running and the park lights are turned off, the pulse by the check control keeps flashing the rings

We have tried the installation with the control units installed in parallel & in series, we have also tried a relay hopeing the pulse wasnt great enough to activate the relay... but it does

The instructions with the kit say " day light running light" our cars do not come out with daylight running lights

The only way round this I thought would be just to run them off an ignition soarse or an independant switch... which I'd rather not do

Anyone got any ideas ??

Please dont answer this unless you know I already know it wouldnt be a problem on an E30 or a vehicle not running check control

We have just gone and fitted some Lumenux CCFL angel eye rings to the reflectors of a BS members car and I now have a problem.

The vehicle is a 94 E38 740I with check control

When the engine is running and the park lights are turned off, the pulse by the check control keeps flashing the rings

We have tried the installation with the control units installed in parallel & in series, we have also tried a relay hopeing the pulse wasnt great enough to activate the relay... but it does

The instructions with the kit say " day light running light" our cars do not come out with daylight running lights

The only way round this I thought would be just to run them off an ignition soarse or an independant switch... which I'd rather not do

Anyone got any ideas ??

Please dont answer this unless you know I already know it wouldnt be a problem on an E30 or a vehicle not running check control

How have you layed out the wiring to and from the ballasts / CCFL's? I did this on a 95 E38 and all I did was insulate the wiring with electrical tape and it made that problem go away? I gathered the DRL's were just picking up feedback from somewhere?

How have you layed out the wiring to and from the ballasts / CCFL's? I did this on a 95 E38 and all I did was insulate the wiring with electrical tape and it made that problem go away? I gathered the DRL's were just picking up feedback from somewhere?

The problem is the + pulse from the check controll...it flashes left then right as the check control does its self check. Not enough to glow a bulb..but enough to pulse the angel eyes

The problem is the + pulse from the check controll...it flashes left then right as the check control does its self check. Not enough to glow a bulb..but enough to pulse the angel eyes

mmm ... what if you switch it from one side to the other? Failing that you could wire it in to the ignition so there on permanently without having to use the light switch to turn them on

mmm ... what if you switch it from one side to the other? Failing that you could wire it in to the ignition so there on permanently without having to use the light switch to turn them on

These have a control unit for each set of rings. Its the pulse coming down the positive to carry out check control that is the problem. I'm going to see if we can turn off check control in the LCM for the park lights only or else wire them to an ignition soarse , they will then be on all the time, which I really dont want to do, but we may not have any other choice

I think this will work

Use relay and earth pin 85 on the relay to pin 4 on the light switch, which is earth switching.

Wheres Jochen this morning :( He will know.... I hope

Glenn, Do you mind me asking what kit you installed into the e38? Through all the research I've done over the last year on angel eyes I've never heard a problem like that, a decent kit should not do that.

The owner supplied the kit.. I dont know where he got it from....Chinese I suppose

I think my above solution will work

What if you put a resister on the circuit, or disconnect the angel eyes / park light circuit from the LCM? Make a small circuit via the LCM so it thinks there is no chnage in resistance?

oh - I just noticed what you have mentioned obove :mellow:

Edited by entscheidend

I think this will work

Use relay and earth pin 85 on the relay to pin 4 on the light switch, which is earth switching.

Nope...that doesnt work either :(

Back to ignition or toggle switch switching I'm afraid

Ive read before on a forum that Jochens software has the option to cancel the 'bulb monitoring' which would solve the problem but would stop the car from telling you if anything else was out.

Ill check with a few of the guys in the UK who have done this to find out what they did and let you know if I get anything useful.

I think from what your saying, wouldn't it be possble to add extra load into it somehow, so that when the check is pulsing the power is absored more by something than the actual angel eyes ? i dont know if its resistors,diodes or what ever that you need ?

That happened with my friends e46 when we replaced all his bulbs with LED bulbs, they pulsate when doing a check, but he couldn't be farked doing anything about it.. lol

Ive read before on a forum that Jochens software has the option to cancel the 'bulb monitoring' which would solve the problem but would stop the car from telling you if anything else was out.

Ill check with a few of the guys in the UK who have done this to find out what they did and let you know if I get anything useful.

Thanks...the owner has decided to go with the switch. I was hoping Jochen would be on today...no sign of him though. Spent way to much time on this already

I think from what your saying, wouldn't it be possble to add extra load into it somehow, so that when the check is pulsing the power is absored more by something than the actual angel eyes ? i dont know if its resistors,diodes or what ever that you need ?

That happened with my friends e46 when we replaced all his bulbs with LED bulbs, they pulsate when doing a check, but he couldn't be farked doing anything about it.. lol

If the load gets higher it will probably trip the check control all the time. I've checked with so many of the guys in the know here in Auckland and knowone knows. BMW & All the other BMW repairers

Thanks...the owner has decided to go with the switch. I was hoping Jochen would be on today...no sign of him though. Spent way to much time on this already

I can only find two solutions Im afraid. The guys in the UK have all left it 'as-is' so it flashes every once in a while. Cant think why they havent bothered to find a solution but they say its usually with the cheaper LED rings and not the CCFL's. I dont know which ones youve got.

The second solution (from the US) is to do exactly what youve suggested. However they are all using the rear fog lamp switch from a euro car as the US models dont have rear fogs.

Sorry there wasnt anything better.

Im pretty sure that Ive seen someone mention about Jochen software being able to do it, but I cant find it now.

Yeah have found that it's definatly on the cheaper stuff only. I got couple sets of them from the states and not a single problem.

I was told the early version cars you cant reset the LCM, you can on later versions and E39 but not E34 and early E38's.

If you let them flash the cops would be all over you....saw a Volvo doing it this morning

Thanks for trying to help guys :D

I would also add... dont buy these...unless yes dont have check control or you want to run them off an independant switch, like weve had to do. They dont fit as per instructions and you can see all the trouble I've had with them. And I've fitted heaps of angel eye headlights before.

Edited by *Glenn*

I think this will work

Wheres Jochen this morning :( He will know.... I hope

Yup. Excuse the late reply, I've been away on holiday.

Glenn: you have to try harder with your hard questions - this one is easy: to stop the AngelEyes lights flashing due to the LCM performing it's cold monitoring test, simply turn the cold monitoring off.

Easy.

My NavCoder software can do it :-)

Edited by jochen

Downloading Nav Coder now

I also talked to Grant (Hotwire) as well

Edited by *Glenn*

Guido said you cant though

OK, he MAY be correct.

There are loads of different LCMs out there, with different functionality

The early LCM-I Light Control Modules may not have had the ability to switch the Cold Monitoring on and off in them

But why don't we use the good old Kiwi "try and see" approach ...

I've responded to your email, let's carry on with the "try and see" offline and post results here.

Glenn, give me a yell when your free this week. I can come with my laptop and ibus interface with Jochens software and help you out.(will need ibus interface to program successfully) Will drop off the CD full of images too.

Am off work from weds onwards.

Glenn, give me a yell when your free this week. I can come with my laptop and ibus interface with Jochens software and help you out.(will need ibus interface to program successfully) Will drop off the CD full of images too.

Am off work from weds onwards.

I got Navcoder from Jochen over the weekend, just got to make the ibus interface. Was told it was too earlier model to do this. Will try it later when I get the interface done though. In the meantime we just hard wired the angel eyes with an independant switch.