Sign in to follow this  
MattA

Electric water pump

Was talking to a guy recently who reakons fitting an electric water pump will gain hp? sounded bit odd but his theory was that it takes power to drive the mechanical water pump so by-pass it and use a high volume electric pump therefore you re-gain the lost power.

Anyone heard of this being done or of the theory?

I don't think that i would be keen to try myself but if it worked and was reliable could be an easy external mod.

Similar concept to using an electrical fan I guess...would only work if you're altenator can handle the extra power requirements...but I doubt it'll have much effect

Electric water pump - $125-00

Connectors and wiring - $2.50

Labour - $ 0

New motor when electric pump fails/power cuts off $3500-00

For the puny benifits its not worth it.

:gay:

Electric water pumps are only intended for serious drag racing applications, where no alternator is used.If you use it with an alternator in a street application you will lose power not gain it. The extra current the alternator must produce to keep pace with the load placed on it by the electric pump wastes more HP than driving a mechanical pump directly from the crank.

As I suspected theory is better than reality... in the same basket as the electric supercharger.. the old saying "if it's too good to be true it probably is"

Guest Andrew

Electric water pumps are only intended for serious drag racing applications, where no alternator is used.If you use it with an alternator in a street application you will lose power not gain it. The extra current the alternator must produce to keep pace with the load placed on it by the electric pump wastes more HP than driving a mechanical pump directly from the crank.

to stop it cavitating? (curious now)

Guest Spargo

Uh, race cars use electric water pumps, i guess they can afford to waste power then?

my suggestion is to underdrive the pulleys.

increase the radius of the pulleys some the engine dosent have to work as hard driving them. simple lever physics. also use alloy pulleys, less weight to spin.

i have read articlies about this, im not too sure on the thermo increase stresses on the engine.

Uh, race cars use electric water pumps, i guess they can afford to waste power then?

No. Running an electric pump from an independant battery as in a top fuel dragster= power gain. Running an electric pump from your cars battery & then having your engine working harder to replace energy the electric pump used= power loss.Every time you have an energy exchange there is a power loss.The more exchanges you introduce into the system the greater the loss.So, crank turning water pump via 1 belt = 1 exchange = low parasitic power loss. Electric motor turns pump, battery drives electric motor , alternator charges battery ,crank turns alternator= 4 exchanges = high parasitic power loss. Dragsters have an advantage over street driven cars in that they are running for such a short time they simply do away with an alternator all together and change batteries between runs

matta the guy that told you this is right, iv seen motors that have made very impesive gains from doing this its all in the same theory as people removing there a/c, power steering, rad fan etc etc, the less the engine has to turn the better and it dose take a fear bit of power to spin the fan, pump the water though the rad