Sign in to follow this  
Sammy J

WTB 5 or 6 speed m60 gearbox

I'm looking for a 5 or 6 speed gearbox to fit a 4L m60 V8, if clutch and flywheel avaliable to that would be great

cheers

Good luck...not many if any around.

I know a few others looking for one too.

Just had a quick look, nothing on there but autos??

How much would it cost for shipping from germany for one of these gearboxs?

I'd guess it would be cheaper to go custom - eg Supra box with adapter - at which point you may as well use the Lexus v8 as well since its cheap and good.

^^^ what he said. maybe not the whole engine though =)

Will a 530 5 speed manuel box of an e34 m60 fit behind the 4l m60? is there any difference in clutch's or flywheels? does anyone have any idea if the ratios between the 3l and 4l box are the same? cheers

there is a bmw box that will work with a bit of modification. Not telling which one though.

if you scour the forums you might find out.

Will a 530 5 speed manuel box of an e34 m60 fit behind the 4l m60? is there any difference in clutch's or flywheels? does anyone have any idea if the ratios between the 3l and 4l box are the same? cheers

Have a dig through www.bmwfans.info and compare part #.

Isn't the 540i a 6 speed? The ratios will likely be different if yes (as the 6spd Getrag has different gears to the 5spd ZF in an E36).

Edited by CamB

530i 730i 535i 735i v8 gearboxes fit the 4L v8 m60 engine . 5spd box is a 1:1 top gear . so low ratio diff is the prefered option . flywheels and clucthes vary in diameter depending on what power the engine had , 3L 4L m5 etc use different size but all flywheels will bolt up ;. and you can buy clutches locally to suit the power.

you can even buy light weight kits out of the usa.

i would use the cheaper 5spd box its smaller which makes it easier to fit into a e30 or e36 . then use a 2.93 or 3.15 ,3.25 diff to match it up.

the 540 uses a monster of a gearbox which is actually the same as the M5 i think...its a big lump of metal

the 540 uses a monster of a gearbox which is actually the same as the M5 i think...its a big lump of metal

the 6speed is longer beacuse of the extra gear and size of the gears , very similer insides to teh 6spd used in the e34 3.8M5 e31 840ci and 850csi and also the e36 ,e46 M3 3.2L , but only the v8 bellhousing will work with the v8

cheers for all your help guys, i think i will be getting a 5 speed box from overseas.

cheers for all your help guys, i think i will be getting a 5 speed box from overseas.

You can't just post something like that and not tell us what you're up to! ;)

You can't just post something like that and not tell us what you're up to! ;)

His for sale advert has been changed to say not for sale coz he bought a v8 for it. I'm watching with much interest - I love a good project.

dam the cats out of the bag haha! yeah i bought a 4l v8 and manuel box for a conversion in my car

there is a bmw box that will work with a bit of modification. Not telling which one though.

if you scour the forums you might find out.

real helpful.