Sign in to follow this  
Palazzo

Oil leak

The (E30) 325 has developed a fairly substantial oil leak, which I think is the sump gasket. The bottom of the engine is covered in 20+ years of dirt and oil, so hard to pinpoint, but it's also dripping on the exhaust. From the limited description, does it sound like I'm on the right track?

You probably need to do a bit of cleaning (PITA I know) and then you'll be able to find the problem better. there are a few locations for an oil leak that would give the result you describe, the sump gasket being but one of them.

Clean it up properly and check after the next time you use it - should be more obvious.

Cheers, posibly crankcase/shaft seal apparently. Expensive?

Cheap if you do it yourself, but box has to come off, time intensive and pita job, but straightforward.

It's more likely to be the sump gasket than the crank seal. Take the lower bell housing cover off and get a small mirror and see if the oil is running down from the seal. If it isn't it will be the sump gasket and I've covered this topic many times before. You dont fit a sump gasket (cork one)

Someone might be able to look up the thread I did this in. I should do a thread about this and sticky it.

The (E30) 325 has developed a fairly substantial oil leak, which I think is the sump gasket. The bottom of the engine is covered in 20+ years of dirt and oil, so hard to pinpoint, ""but it's also dripping on the exhaust"". From the limited description, does it sound like I'm on the right track?

Where abouts is it dripping on the exhaust?? Up on the manifold? or lower down the exhaust?

Thanks again, I hope sump gasket. Have no space/time or tools to tackle myself and it needs to be back on road asap. Didn't want to drive it too far, so couldn't get to you Glenn. Found other thread re Carbond so will follow that up too. Cheers.

Where abouts is it dripping on the exhaust?? Up on the manifold? or lower down the exhaust?

Below manifold on downpipe, but looks like it has blown back there. Majority of oil is on bottom part of motor/sump, predominantly drivers side.

The (E30) 325 has developed a fairly substantial oil leak, which I think is the sump gasket. The bottom of the engine is covered in 20+ years of dirt and oil, so hard to pinpoint, but it's also dripping on the exhaust. From the limited description, does it sound like I'm on the right track?

Same thing happened to me the other day turned out the pipe connecting the oil cooler had come loose and yes it seemed like oil coming from everywhere ! lucky I noticed it when I did cause Lost about a litre of oil by the time I got home and could smell a funny burning smell probally from oil touching the manifold :o

I checked the oil cooler pipes, filter and what I thought were obvious bits. Turned out to be the oil pressure switch. Fixed. Cheers all.