Sign in to follow this  
deeveus

X5 Gone - out with the old & in with the new

Unfortunately it isnt another BMW, tried to find an M3 for a suitable price but couldn't come up with anything NZ new which is what I preferred.

Its a 2003 Audi S4 4.2 V8 Tiptronic, fly up to Auckland to bring it back this coming Saturday!

post-2864-1235365565_thumb.jpg

Edited by X5V8

Looks damn nice, I bet it goes well too.

Shame it isn't an M3 ;)

Nice cars. But seen them being worked on. Hope you have deep pockets for servicing. Nearly have to pull them apart just to change the oil :wacko:

Unfortunately it isnt another BMW, tried to find an M3 for a suitable price but couldn't come up with anything NZ new which is what I preferred.

Its a 2003 Audi S4 4.2 V8 Tiptronic, fly up to Auckland to bring it back this coming Saturday!

I hope the cambelt and waterpump has been done. Every 5 years or 120,ooo km whichever occurs first for one of those

I hope the cambelt and waterpump has been done. Every 5 years or 120,ooo km whichever occurs first for one of those

I rang the service agents and they advised that this model has a camchain & not a cambelt :) He spent $1500 on its 120,000km service only 2000km ago.

Also its getting a pre-purchase inspection from Giltraps in Auckland this morning - where its been serviced all its life.

Edited by X5V8

I rang the service agents and they advised that this model has a camchain & not a cambelt :) He spent $1500 on its 120,000km service only 2000km ago.

Also its getting a pre-purchase inspection from Giltraps in Auckland - where its been serviced all its life.

PM me the Vin number

PM me the Vin number

I was sure Carjam used to have the VIN there?

Waiting to hear back from someone regarding the VIN - Will PM once I get it, what do you need it for anyway Glenn?

Interesting, we have similar taste in cars. I've been looking for the right E46 M3 for a while now and recently decided to take an 03 S4 manual for a test drive from the local dealer as there were no M3s on the market locally. It was better that I expected but after driving a M3 the following weekend its a very different car. Although the S4 is probably the sensible option (especially considering the depreciation they have had recently) I decided within about the first 5 minutes that the M3 is more what I'm looking for.

I'll be interested to read what you think of it after a couple of months and whether you feel the need to get an M3!

I was sure Carjam used to have the VIN there?

Waiting to hear back from someone regarding the VIN - Will PM once I get it, what do you need it for anyway Glenn?

Just to make sure it is a chain drive motor thats all

Still havnt heard back yet Glenn. Engine number is BBK004664 if that helps?

Interesting, we have similar taste in cars. I've been looking for the right E46 M3 for a while now and recently decided to take an 03 S4 manual for a test drive from the local dealer as there were no M3s on the market locally. It was better that I expected but after driving a M3 the following weekend its a very different car. Although the S4 is probably the sensible option (especially considering the depreciation they have had recently) I decided within about the first 5 minutes that the M3 is more what I'm looking for.

I'll be interested to read what you think of it after a couple of months and whether you feel the need to get an M3!

I've always liked the S4's but only three years ago they were 60k + & way out of my bracket. I'm paying 28k for the S4 & the S4 is a more practical option for me especially with the two extra doors. They rekon the S4's are awesome handling cars & very predictable when things do let go around those corners.

A few You-Tube clips helped me very quickly - the sound they make is superb!

First thing I'll be doing is making the noise a little deeper, not louder, just deeper if possible.

Yes it is a chain drive motor, first of the S4's with V8 using the newer BBK chain driven motor

Enjoy :D

BTW: You cant remove the cats on that car. It has pre cat & after cat oxygen sensors and must have cats

Edited by *Glenn*

Cool, thanks Glenn. I spoke to Haans from Giltraps and he knows the car as it was in for its service and WOF not so long ago - he commented that the car was in awesome condition for the 120km travelled and that the owner was one of the fussiest he's come across. Only two owners aswell.

Is wikipedia right?

B6 Powertrain

Replacing the 2.7 litre biturbo V6 engine of the previous generation B5 S4, the B6 S4 gained an all aluminium alloy 4.2 litre (4163 cc), 40-valve V8 engine with 2xdouble overhead camshaft (DOHC} (chain-driven, with variable inlet camshaft timing) (code BBK), based on the unit from the Audi A8. It produced 253 kW (344 PS; 339 bhp) at 7000 rpm, and 410 N·m (302 ft·lbf) at 3500 rpm, making it more potent than the RS2 Avant, and nearly as powerful as the B5 RS4.

Glenn - are you sure you aren't thinking of the V6, which has the big cambelt service bill?

(edit) Whoops way too slow on that one.

Edited by CamB

Is wikipedia right?

Glenn - are you sure you aren't thinking of the V6, which has the big cambelt service bill?

(edit) Whoops way too slow on that one.

Some of the V8's are cambelt driven. we have done them here

Nice car!

Check bonnet gap on LHS, an obvious sign of a pore repair, could be just an adjuster…

..Oh, and the back looks to be a different colour than the front… Look for clouding in the silver paint, it’s a bastard to match if your repairing on the cheap.

Edited by Apex

Yeah I seen all that, the guy from Giltraps said it must have been the shade or angle, because theres no evidence of accidents and the guy who owns the car swears that its legit. Ofcourse he'd say that, but if I get up there and all the panels are on 90021degree angles then I'm walking away. Rather waste 500 bucks on flights/accomodation/ferries than have a mongrel of a car.

Edited by X5V8

Good stuff, just check for that clouding, I have had quite a few silver cars now and have noticed when ever they have been repaired there is that clouding.

Good luck, that’s one cool car! So jealous!!

Best of luck with your new car,the S4's are very nice,haven't driven one but im sure they go alright.

At one stage i was looking to get the RS4 V8,but even though i can afford one, i decided i dont really want to drive round in a hundred grand car when my M3 provides all the thrills i need for less then half the price.