Sign in to follow this  
martyyn

Credit where its due

If you've been here for more than five minutes you'll know what I think of these guys. Past experiences have ranged from doing unauthorised work (and refusing to release the car until I had paid for that work) to breaking my wing mirror and taking six weeks (and four visits to them) to accept the error and fix it.

Anyway, after dropping the front of the touring with new Vogtland springs (thanks Keith) Ive wanted to drop the rear. Glenn helped immensely with instructions for pneumatic suspension but as I had air it was back to the internet to see if it could be done.

After scanning some of the US and UK forums it became obvious that the dealer could do it with their software so I got in touch with Jeff Gray as they are the only place in Wellington to have it. I wasnt expecting any help as Ive always been rejected when Ive asked them about stuff like this. They dont appear to like people who play with their cars and still tell me the Jap sat nav cant be made to work here even though Ive explained how to do it.

Anyway, the initial approach was as expected. They said they would look into it but came back saying it couldnt be done. I went away to get more info and tried again, telling them the software and how it could be done. This obviously got someones back up because I received an email that pretty much said 'fcuk off and leave us alone'.

After I sent a reply expressing my disgust at such an email one of the tech blokes agreed it could be done and said bring it in. I was obviously a little sceptical after the ranting email but I just wanted it done by this stage and was planning to have a right go at the bloke who sent the email.

I dropped the car off but didnt see the email bloke and left giving them strict instructions to ring me if there was any confusion as to what I wanted done. I got a call two hours later from the head techo telling me the computer had levelled the car out as soon as they plugged it in and would I like to come and have a look. This was a surpirse because Id asked if I could come and have a look before and I was told in no uncertain terms 'no'.

I get there, Kerry introduces himself and explains what theyve done and invites me round the back to see the car. We have a nice chat and I ask for another 10mm off which he agrees can be done and he'll give me another call.

At this point he explains that he had seen the emails and he gave me an unreserved apology :) The guy who sent the email has been dealt with and if I ever need anything again to call him directly.

I get another call an hour later to say its all done and I can pick the car up as agreed at 3.30. So I go to collect it and the car is dropped nicely, its also been washed and vacuumed which is something Ive NEVER experienced at Jeff Gray but was always done by the UK dealers. Ive had them on about this in the past and always been told that they dont wash cars no matter how much money youve spent there on repairs.

I briefly get to see Kerry who brings out the paperwork of what the measurements were before and after and he leaves me with the 'front of house' manager who also apologises for any previous 'issues' Ive had and says he will be investigating a specific incident I had raised in my last email.

He then gives me my keys back and tells me there will be no charge for the work. I was speechless. I thanked him very much for everything and left with a shiny clean car, sat nice and level :)

So as Ive always been very vocal of the bad things, I thought it was important to be just as vocal on the good things. Ive had the car for a week and its still sitting where it was left and Im very very happy with it.

Will it mean I go there for any future servicing? I dont know, Its certainly meant that I will call first to find out what the cost would be and if its comparable to my usual people then yes Id definately consider it. Getting a nice loan car for the day helps too.

So thank you Jeff Gray for a very pleasant experience and I sincerely hope it continues.

Good to see its all sorted now Martyn.... no issues with the camber sensor either ??

One week in mate and so far so good. I havent had anything heavier than the kids in the back though and I dont have anything left at the house to throw in and test it, Ive sold all the wheels I used to use !

Does Jeff Gray = Shelly BMW on old hutt rd?

Yes.

Also +1 for Jeff Gray, always scared of buying parts from a dealer, went in there with cash only, randomly didn't have my eftpos card on me. The total was a little more than I had on me, the salesman said not to worry, " I will just adjust the books". Have to be good guys on that respect.

Edited by Brams

we had a fantastic club night there and i have always had good dealing with them,but admitidly they havent actually had my car much,hopefully a trend that will continue(the service I mean!)Good work Martyn,perhaps you have been a catalyst for the change!

I thought the night we had there was good too, but the running down of the Jap imports was over the top and completely unnecessary. I left there with the distinct impression that they weren't interested in working on imported cars at all.

As I said, lets hope there is a change for the better.

That is interesting about them not washing the car after working on it. As the Palmy branch has always done so when I have had mine in to be worked on. It is strange that any thing out of the norm like your situation gets a negative response I feel they only hurt themselves in the end. Lets hope that change is in the wind and it continues good on you.

Cheers Allan

Well thats a big turn around from what you've experienced in the past Martyn I remember reading a while ago about your past experiences. Makes things so much more pleasant when things are worked out and resolved right? And then on top of that doing the work free of charge, they obviously realised they had pissed you around in the past and decided to make things right again. Good for you!

And like you say its easy to rant on about the bad experiences but good on you for sharing this one good experience with us. Did you ever find out about the jerk that emailed you?

Luke

Geff Gray in Hastings has valeted my bros 740 both times its been in there.

He then gives me my keys back and tells me there will be no charge for the work. I was speechless. I thanked him very much for everything and left with a shiny clean car, sat nice and level :)

LOL, I always ask them NOT to valet my car as I can do a better job :D

I've always had good experience with them, although it's correct that they are not that "adventurous".

Your experience gets me thinking whether the software can drop mine as well.

Edited by 318Touring

QUOTE (BLACK DORIS @ Feb 24 2009, 03:20 PM) *

Does Jeff Gray = Shelly BMW on old hutt rd?

Yes.

Also +1 for Jeff Gray, always scared of buying parts from a dealer, went in there with cash only, randomly didn't have my eftpos card on me. The total was a little more than I had on me, the salesman said not to worry, " I will just adjust the books". Have to be good guys on that respect.

The guy in there was pretty helpfull with trying to track down what colour my car is (still lookin!). Has been the only time i've been in there. Place is like hallowed ground with all those new m series models- hell just new bmrs! :ph34r:

Will it mean I go there for any future servicing? I dont know, Its certainly meant that I will call first to find out what the cost would be and if its comparable to my usual people then yes Id definately consider it. Getting a nice loan car for the day helps too.

Thats nice to hear mate, my mums cousin (=2nd cousin?) is a salesman there and I got on their mailing list, I remember they had an oil service special offer that seemed pretty alrightly priced.

Now im worried about taking my M3 in to them for servicing!

My car is in pretty immaculate condition and i think i would be up on a murder charge if any mechanic damaged it! lol!

My car is in pretty immaculate condition and i think i would be up on a murder charge if any mechanic damaged it! lol!

i would be less worried about taking there than the corner garage....

I don't think you should be worried. As I said at the previous post that I've always had good experience with them. I've been using them for the last 10 years/6 cars (including 2 Rovers!).

About bad experience, a guy in the office had one of the door of his C320CDI Merc damaged by Wellington Star during servicing!

Incident 1

Replaced my Coolant expansion tank at Jeff Gray BMW Wellington. Paid about $400 for labour, coolant, coolant tank and pressure test. When I checked the coolant level on the next following day, I realised the rod was not floating. Took the car back and they added coolant into it. The explanation I got was after running the engine more coolant gets tranferred into the cooling system

(my thoughts are shouldn't they start engine and kept it running for a while and top up coolant as necessary while the car is in their workshop?)

Incident 2

Had my car serviced with them. After 2 weeks, the low engine oil light came on. I immediately checked the dip stick and oil was at minimum level. I had to buy a litre of engine oil and added about 3/4 of that bottle to get the engine oil to the right level. Since that incident, my car has been running fine for months. There's no leak whatsoever and in fact the oil is still at the same level which indicates it wasn't a case of high engine oil consumption.

(again, was it a case of them not topping up the right amount of engine oil after draining it. I'm sure I was charged 6.5L worth of BMW engine oil)

Just isolated incident?

Edited by bimmer77

I have had 2 less than satisfactory experiences with JG Wellington.

A friend of mine had an E36 M3 and it was serviced at JG Wellington, making him a client. I went there with him looking for an E46 M3 and was approached be a salesman who asked if I needed any help. I told him I was looking for an E46 M3, and asked if he knew of any coming up for sale. He said "No, don't have any" and walked away. There was no, can I take your details and I'll give you a call if something comes up, etc.

The second time (around 6 months later) I was back there again and this time had a really helpful, knowledgeable salesman - very different to the other guy. He said he even had a client who was looking to trade his manual M3 and perhaps that car would suit me. I didn't have a card on me at the time but he gave me his and asked me to email him when i was back at the office the following Monday. I emailed him first thing and haven't heard a thing since.

There is almost an arrogance about it.

I'd like to throw my hat into the ring for Jeff Gray Euro (but in Palmy). I was utterly disgusted by the service (or lack there of) that I received today. So much so that I have taken the car to another service agent (not even a BMW agent unfortunately) where I got a service that was what should have happened immediately at Jeff Gray Euro.

My point is that I might not have a brand new BMW but at some point in the future when I'm fully qualified I will be on the look out for a new car (hopefully something in the M series price range too). After the service I received today I will never be purchasing a car from them. I've even been so bitterly disappointed in how I was treated that I don't know that I will ever buy another BMW period.

I would have thought that if a young person (22) came in with a car that needed some attention, it would have been in their interest to nurture this interest in the manufacturer for which you work as they will base their future car purchase on the service they have received in the past. To make this person feel like they're presence was dirtying up their service centre is not going to instill an image of a company that will be a worthwhile investment in the future. Today I have never missed my 1989 Toyota Celica so much.

Today I was treated like a total nobody by an authorised (apparently trustworthy) BMW Service Centre and it is something I will never forget.

Edited by DarkWolf

I'd like to throw my hat into the ring for Jeff Gray Euro (but in Palmy). I was utterly disgusted by the service (or lack there of) that I received today. So much so that I have taken the car to another service agent (not even a BMW agent unfortunately) where I got a service that was what should have happened immediately at Jeff Gray Euro.

My point is that I might not have a brand new BMW but at some point in the future when I'm fully qualified I will be on the look out for a new car (hopefully something in the M series price range too). After the service I received today I will never be purchasing a car from them. I've even been so bitterly disappointed in how I was treated that I don't know that I will ever buy another BMW period.

I would have thought that if a young person (22) came in with a car that needed some attention, it would have been in their interest to nurture this interest in the manufacturer for which you work as they will base their future car purchase on the service they have received in the past. To make this person feel like they're presence was dirtying up their service centre is not going to instill an image of a company that will be a worthwhile investment in the future. Today I have never missed my 1989 Toyota Celica so much.

Today I was treated like a total nobody by an authorised (apparently trustworthy) BMW Service Centre and it is something I will never forget.

Why take an 11 year old car to a dealer in the first place?

Why not take an eleven year old car their if you so desire?. That is not the point he is trying to make I believe but the lack of courtesy shown by the agent concerned. The last time I was their they had a green 2002 in the middle of the show room, correct me if wrong but that model is a little over eleven years old is it not.

Allan

Why not take an eleven year old car their if you so desire?. That is not the point he is trying to make I believe but the lack of courtesy shown by the agent concerned. The last time I was their they had a green 2002 in the middle of the show room, correct me if wrong but that model is a little over eleven years old is it not.

Allan

Exactly! And to add - A V8 E39 (or any any E39 for that matter) although 11 years old, is still a very complex motor car & not a vehicle any Joe Bloggs can fix/service without correct knowledge & equipment.

Not to say that it must be serviced by agents but if it suits one have done there then fine.

Wow some of these stories are pretty bad.

What is wrong with these dealers,do they want repeat business or not?

I have taken most of my cars over the years to City Nissan in Lower Hutt and the service i receive from them is second to none.

No matter which car i take in there they make me feel like an important customer.

I recommend them to my friends,and in one case a friend with a Holden Commodore SS went to them after he had no luck with Williams and Adams in town.

He had a problem that Williams and Adams couldnt fix with three visits!

City Nissan solved his issue in 10 mins flat.

Turned out a spark plug lead had burned through and his car was misfiring.problem found and solved.

So it does annoy me when i hear these stories of people being disregarded just because they dont drive a newer flasher car or whatever.

Word of mouth and creating brand loyalty are so important especially nowdays in these tough times.

The snobbery factor needs to go,and fast!

I did the age old dealership experiment the other day.

I went into a prestige dealership driving my WRX and surprise surprise no one approached me at all even though i was there for around 10 mins.

Next time i headed back in my M3 and boom!, i had salesman zooming at me from all directions lol!

They need to stop making assumptions and look after everyone!

It's amazing the differance in service some dealerships have...

Mom's had 3 a4's and 2 of them have had to have transmissions replaced in less than 12,000km. The service from CCS Audi has been amazing, a loan car for the whole time (last one was 6 weeks wait for the g'box from german). She goes in there for anything and it's not an issuie.

Dad's got a V8 limited exporer (Ford) and you would swear he's taken it to the dodgest local mechanic. Constantly getting the name wrong on the service booking, breaking things during service, arguing over every warrenty claim. He got told by one of the guys at the service desk he was an idiot because he couldn't enter in the stereo code after they had forgot to put it in after they disconnect the battery during a service... turned out that the guy went to enter the code and had forgot to give dad the last number as the guy had to go back and double check the number. We have had the same service from South Auckland and North Harbour Ford. It's truely shocking. Incidently we have a 3 1/2 page file of faults from the Explorer. Oh anouther gem... they used the wrong gearbox fluid in the trans and the trans had to be replaced... clap clap

My sister had a Ford Mondeo work car, Ford had provided the wrong space saver for the car she got a flat changed the tyre, called me as she said it felt funny, then going around a roundabout on the way to Ford the space saver fell off... The holes for the space saver where too big for the lug nuts and worked themselves over the lug nuts.

NEVER BUY or LET ANYONE BUY A FORD!

Edited by DRTDVL

Why take an 11 year old car to a dealer in the first place?

To me this sounds exactly like the what the person I dealt with at Jeff Gray was thinking. Let me know what you do for a living so I know not to ever let you near anything of mine. If you get the opportunity to read the article by Scotty Stephenson in the January Edition of Top Gear NZ. I think you might find that you fall into the 95% he describes in the article.

I see from your ride description (and your name) that you drive an E34. This makes your car a minimum of 2 years older than mine. Does this mean if I take my car into the same place you do I should be treated with more respect than you?